TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess a woman's shelter would be an option for some women...not sure if they have to "prove" abuse, if they indicate they are in fear...but in any case this may not have been something Karen was comfortable in doing, or in taking her children to a shelter...but does anyone know if she or other women in her situation could have done so?

You don't have to prove abuse and they determine based on their interpretations what should be done. If a woman is in the system they will tell LE that she is safe but they will not even give her location to LE. Many of those organizations help women file for orders of protection and are often at the courthouse on the days the court hears domestic violence cases. So for example if a woman calls the police for a domestic disturbance, when the case goes before the judge, they are there to offer advice, options etc..

While searching articles about the exact date of husband's surgery, I was reading comments at the end of the article and one was addressed to the husband by someone who claimed to know the family and to have been at the bonfire party at Karen's house, either the night before or the week before the Halloween party Karen went to.

I had read about the bonfire party but this guy claims that DS was hopping on and off the tractor, with no difficulty, throwing logs on the fire, etc. The guy said DS was the picture of health. This guy also claims that Karen told him if she ever turns up dead, that her husband did it.

The guy also said that DS has a private laptop that LE doesn't know about and never confiscated. Other claims were that DS was seen arguing with a blond and that DS grew up without parents and doesn't have any feelings for his kids losing their mother. moo

Now I KNOW this is unsubstantiated, and is possibly no more than opinion of somebody who has no credibility, but it does offer an interesting perspective, which we can consider with a grain of salt. moo

I'm just sayin' :cow:

First of all, this guy may or may not be telling the truth, you can read all kinds of things in these comment sections. People will claim to be other people, make up stories and make out like they know the whole nitty gritty, but it's just people enjoying stirring up stink. I wouldn't put much stock into something like this, but that's just me. Truth is, we've got enough speculations here without much facts to back them up, we don't more rumors to start circulating. JMO, and no offense.

I guess a woman's shelter would be an option for some women...not sure if they have to "prove" abuse, if they indicate they are in fear...but in any case this may not have been something Karen was comfortable in doing, or in taking her children to a shelter...but does anyone know if she or other women in her situation could have done so?

Wanted to add one more thing, bc once a woman or family enters the system they must cut ties with everyone, most women wouldn't enter the arrangement without just cause. While in the system you normally cannot even continue going to work bc u could be followed back to the safe house, putting people in danger.
Karen appears to be a fighter and had a strong network of friends. Leaving those ties and what security she had may have led her to believe that this wasn't an option, if she looked into it.

MOO

I really don't think cops would wait until after the holidays to arrest somebody, I really want to belive the husband didn't do it...for the kids sake. Has anybody read the last text msgs she sent out? I know she was cleaning a house for some extra money and some people believe thats where she was going to get the job done, maybe she couldn't sleep? Other people believe it could be a serial killing, I thought that at first but now I really believe it was an inside job. I know there was a neighbor who tried to poision dogs and he was arrested, however i don't think he did it either. I'm sure LE is waiting on DNA evidence to get back and then we will find out more. Hope everybody is having a good night :) just finished work and im exhausted, but i'm loving this new site I found and had to check it before going to bed!!

Even if Karen had gone out, wouldn't she have left a note for the children? She knew they woke up early.

As far as the shelters, I wasn't really thinking that Karen had looked into this option, probably thinking it was not necessary :(....but just wondered if there was such a thing available to women who had not suffered actual abuse but were fearful, am glad to know there is. Thanks.

I know a lot of people are talking about how they can't believe Karen and David were still living in a house together, but I mean with rough economy times I can totally understand, yes it would maybe be uncomfortable but they have divorced before and got back together.....I'm a wife and a mother and it would be very hard to just up and leave and get my own house I must say....I just hope there is justice for Karen and her family and I pray many prayers for her family.....

Merry Christmas everybody

I know a lot of people are talking about how they can't believe Karen and David were still living in a house together, but I mean with rough economy times I can totally understand, yes it would maybe be uncomfortable but they have divorced before and got back together.....I'm a wife and a mother and it would be very hard to just up and leave and get my own house I must say....I just hope there is justice for Karen and her family and I pray many prayers for her family.....

Merry Christmas everybody

Unfortunately even a divorce that starts out amicable can get nasty fast. Before u know it, the couple is fighting over 401Ks, china, custody, support etc... Your dividing the past and future. Couples fight over things that don't really matter, a lot is at stake. I'm assumig that the last time they divorced that there wasn't as much to divide, over the years they appear to have built a nice life and now it has to be split. I've seen divorce turn the best people into the worst people.

I think he should have left...so Mom could care for her kids in their home...I wonder if he refused?

I don't think it is better for the kids to have Mom and Dad in the same house if there is tension, or worse. IMO, neither parent can be at their best in those circumstances.

I'd really like to know if she wanted him to move out and he refused.

Unfortunately even a divorce that starts out amicable can get nasty fast. Before u know it, the couple is fighting over 401Ks, china, custody, support etc... Your dividing the past and future. Couples fight over things that don't really matter, a lot is at stake. I'm assumig that the last time they divorced that there wasn't as much to divide, over the years they appear to have built a nice life and now it has to be split. I've seen divorce turn the best people into the worst people.

"The War of the Roses" Oh, yes.

Thats very true, thanks for your opion...my sister just went through a divorce 3 kids later and she told me its worse then if he would have died...he cheated on her and left her and the kids, really sad actually

I can't imagine what it would feel like to have killed someone and know that the entire efforts of a law enforcement community are focused on me. As well as the residents.
Being featured on shows on local and national tv.
I couldn't stand up to that kind of pressure for even one hour. Of that I am 100% positive!
(I know, there's always a caseyanthony)
If I'd killed my spouse or neighbor everyone would know it.
Then we have people who go right on with the charade. For years. Forever.
I can only think that they come to a point in their lives where they have committed ultimate evil and they no longer consider themselves to even have a soul.

Killing someone in a rage is a little different.
Not "better" in any way. Just a lil bit easier for us to grasp.
People with profiling experience say that once a rageful perp kills the rage is gone.
In serial killers, it's only gone for a while.
I wonder if in spousal or other types of killings if the rage is so quick to vanish.
If it gets replaced with fear and the caring and love that comes from those around you that truly think you are innocent and grieving.
If that kind of killer begins to believe the lies. Begins to believe that they didn't actually kill their spouse/loved one.
I still don't want to think that Karen's husband killed her.
First of all, there's no proof right now that we know of.
Just suspicion and circumstances that don't seem to add up.
To stalk and kill someone is a dark twisted thing.
Or to always be hunting for the right opportunity to fulfill the need to kill.
I have to say that every now and then I see some young woman out doing something in a remote area totally alone. Like jogging. Friendly and not a care in the world.
And I have to think "if there was a random killer in this area, you'd be the perfect victim". Eeekkkk!
Could Karen have been that perfect victim caught up in a storm of circumstance? Wrong place wrong time?
It's like if you don't watch your step every second you are in danger.
If you spend your time fearful you miss the joy in life.
Given the choice between the two, sometimes there is a perfect storm that leads to murder.
It just has to happen that way. No matter how we try we have to let ourselves focus on living life and not constantly on the evil in this world.
Guess that's why we even do things on halloween in our modern lives. Why adults dress up and go to parties to scare or delight others.
That seems to be what Karen had been doing that evening. Dressed up like a cute cat.
Was there someone there that saw her as easy prey? If so, how could anyone have known she was going to leave her house in the wee hours of the morning? It doesn't make sense.
If there was an evil one amongst the party-goers how was she lured from her house? From the bed she was sharing with her daughter?
JMO

There was something quite mesmerizing about your post. Especially the part I bolded.

I don't blame him, I wouldn't be talking to nosy neighbors either. Everything he says or does is going to be twisted to mean something sinister anyway.

But do you really think you would be pondering how things could be twisted at the moment your wife, even soon to be ex goes missing? I think about how most people would feel at that moment. Scared to death, worried, sick inside, either crying or talking, pleading for answers. Not speeding away so as to avoid questions.

BTW, wasn't it the reporter he refused to answer questions of? Not the neighbor?

In any case, surely the husband is the first to be looked at. Especially when a divorce is in the mix. But it seems they resolved everything and it seems to have been amicable enough. Of course looks can be deceiving. Maybe the husband pondered what he had agreed to, regretted it terribly and saw no other way out.

However, unlike some other cases, like Susan Powell's or Michelle Parker's, in this case, there seems to be a lot more that could allow for a different possible killer. Like the message that she was going back to the empty house early. Was someone waiting for her? Someone who knew her?

And what ever happened with the Hogshooter guy? Was he ruled out as a possibility by LE or logically by posters here?

I think it had to be someone who knew her, especially due to where she was found, where her car was found. The husband is very high on my list but this is one where a couple other possibilities could be logical. What do you all think?

ETA: One other question. Where are her children? Are they with their dad?

Gitana said:
And what ever happened with the Hogshooter guy? Was he ruled out as a possibility by LE or logically by posters here?

He was jailed on other charges.

Hogshooter had an outstanding warrant for his arrest for the alleged poisoning. He was taken into custody by sheriff's deputies on Saturday after he pulled into his residence on Harness Road while officers were looking for potential evidence in the area.

Dyer County Sheriff's Dept. Chief Investigator Terry McCreight said due to the nature of Hogshooter's case and the proximity to Swift's residence they had to look at him as part of their investigation into her disappearance. As a result, Hogshooter's vehicle was temporarily impounded and investigators searched his Harness Road residence.

McCreight said Hogshooter's vehicle was released back to him and no noteworthy evidence was found during their searches.

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1782077.html

There actually are parts of the world that are rat free ... strange but true.

Yes, but . . . this place is out in the country and it's not "infested." Owls and snakes and other creatures keep the rat population down.

But no one wants to step on a rat or a snake by stepping into the kudzu - that's the important point - because you can't see where to put your feet. However it's not more crittery than any other woodsy place, it's just not somewhere that people would ordinarily walk. In kudzu, you might also accidentally step on a yellow jacket hornet's burrow and be stung and it just wouldn't make sense to take that risk.

Since the above tidbit came from a blog (especially one with those ****, which aren't really allowed here) the info has to be taken with a grain of salt, but would not surprise me at all if true...a la Drew Peterson, Josh Powell, etc...

With all due respect, I think the opposite would be true. moo

To see him on crutches days after his wife goes missing is suspicious. That would be as incriminating as if he had scratch marks on his face.

DS had surgery on his patella/kneecap in April of 2011. After 8 weeks recovery at home, he could have returned to his job and would continue to improve over the next six months. By the time, Karen went missing, he would have been nearly completely recovered.

Some of the things that can interfere with, or reverse the healing process and necessitate the use of crutches, would be activities such as, jumping, rotation or twisting of the joint, walking on uneven terrain, and lifting over 40 pounds. All cases are treated individually and are dependent on age, condition and expectation of the patient.

I'm just sayin :cow:
He was feeling well enough to go up and down stairs....since he noticed her at the foot of them. ? Pretty unlevel terrain. imo Maybe Karen gave him a good kick? ?

He was feeling well enough to go up and down stairs....since he noticed her at the foot of them. ? Pretty unlevel terrain. imo Maybe Karen gave him a good kick? ?

Or he gave her one???:waitasec: A fall would have left bruises and could have broken her neck. I'm afraid she's been either beaten and stabbed or shot!

Or he gave her one???:waitasec: A fall would have left bruises and could have broken her neck. I'm afraid she's been either beaten and stabbed or shot!

If she was killed in the house, I also have been wondering how it was done, not to leave any visible (blood) evidence inside, but make it apparent when her body was found that foul play was involved. A fatal fall down the stairs possibly?

:waitasec:

MOO

If she was killed in the house, I also have been wondering how it was done, not to leave any visible (blood) evidence inside, but make it apparent when her body was found that foul play was involved. A fatal fall down the stairs possibly?

MOO

This might be very far-fetched, but there's always the possibility that Hogshooter was framed. Perhaps David tried to frame him. Perhaps poison was involved. Like I said - far-fetched.

Possible, or her neck may have been broken via strangling...that might be immediately obvious to investigators...(I don't think she "fell", in any case...)

This might be very far-fetched, but there's always the possibility that Hogshooter was framed. Perhaps David tried to frame him. Perhaps poison was involved. Like I said - far-fetched.

I don't think so as poison normally wouldn't be instantaneous. The cases of spousal poisoning I have heard of were over a period of time. I do believe it's possible, again if she was killed inside the home, that she could have been knocked down, hit her head, or strangled. Obviously nothing violent that caused bloodshed.

MOO

No bloodshed, unless she was NOT killed in the house. Maybe she was walked out of her car and then killed in some violent manner that made LE know right away it was a homicide...I hope not, as I would much rather think she was killed in a quick way and did not see it coming (or who did it...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member