TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized what I found... the bus, driven by none other than Edward Warner Adcox, drove children the skating rink on Saturdays. He picked them up in the a.m. and dropped them off in the p.m. (according to one person's memory.) But, Kathy was going skating at night. Had Adcox dropped off all the other kids? Did he promise to take her to the rink? If she usually rode the bus to the rink, then why wouldn't she take it this time? And anyone who saw a kid near the bus would think nothing of it; might not even notice which kid it was. Because kids rode that bus all of the time.

And how easy it would be for him to transport her via the bus to all of the places he needed to go? How easy to keep anyone from ever seeing her? How easy to muddy the police's inquiries into whether or not she made it to the rink?

NO WONDER the original police and my father thought Adcox was guilty!

Unfortunately the guy from nashlinks didn't have old pics. I'll continue to look. Hopefully I can help that way cause I can't think of anything else to do.

Yeah the bus driver is sounding mighty suspicious. But didn't a previous article say they ruled him out quickly? I wonder why. I mean, was his alibi someone who would lie for him, or was it something more concrete.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The DA decided there was not enough evidence against Adcox to send to a grand jury. Eventually, the investigators decided he probably wasn't the right suspect, anyway. By then they had set their sights on a different person, but that didn't pan out, either.
In 1977, Mills and Chamberlain arrested Adcox, and Judge Gale Robinson bound the case over to the Grand Jury. But, according to Mills, the District Attorney did not think he had enough evidence to take the case before the Grand Jury. “We thought we did, and that was neither here nor there. The DA said we didn’t.”
Miller said Adcox admitted to a lot of things he had done over the years, but the Jones killing wasn’t one of them. In addition, Miller says he and other detectives began developing some information on another subject.
“Myself and Detective Postiglione started going through the files and looking into the evidence and actually ran some polygraphs.”

The evidence they uncovered, Miller believes, is solid. So solid, in fact, that it led to the killer. Miller cannot say what that evidence is. “At this point in time, we feel certain we know who killed her.... This man is living in Nashville and works every day.”
http://m.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

Unfortunately the guy from nashlinks didn't have old pics. I'll continue to look. Hopefully I can help that way cause I can't think of anything else to do.

Yeah the bus driver is sounding mighty suspicious. But didn't a previous article say they ruled him out quickly? I wonder why. I mean, was his alibi someone who would lie for him, or was it something more concrete.

Actually, he was their main suspect until at least 1977. Judge Gale Robinson bound him over to the Grand Jury in regard to Kathy's case. But, the District Attorney refused to take it further claiming the police didn't have enough evidence. The police had to accept this and sometime after that ruled him out (but they do not say how, I don't remember anything about an alibi). Then, they began to pursue another POI. In 1998, they made it sound like they were about to snap the trap on him, but ... I really don't know what happened. I know more recently than that they were keeping tabs on him.

Early on, they arrested Adcox and popped him in the cell with a 'known felon' that they had arrested on fake charges so that guy could try to get information for them. And he did. Adcox told him how he killed Kathy. But, somehow years later... I don't understand... what happened. I got the idea that the way Adcox said matched how she died, so I don't know how that was accurate in 1969, but failed to be after 1977. They have never explained this. Maybe they can't for some reason.

Thank you for trying to get photos. I appreciate that.

The DA decided there was not enough evidence against Adcox to send to a grand jury. Eventually, the investigators decided he probably wasn't the right suspect, anyway. By then they had set their sights on a different person, but that didn't pan out, either.http://m.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

He admitted it in 1969 to his cellmate. But, questioning years later with the police, something didn't click. I wish I knew what.

Maybe it relates to the polygraphs.

I am starting to wonder if the police can't solve it because they are looking for one man when it is two.

Maybe this is how Adcox could convince them he didn't kill Kathy because maybe he is not the one who did that part.

The other POI also likes to hang around skating rinks.

I am starting to wonder if the police can't solve it because they are looking for one man when it is two.

Maybe this is how Adcox could convince them he didn't kill Kathy because maybe he is not the one who did that part.

The other POI also likes to hang around skating rinks.

Hmmmm. Very interesting. The two POI's carrying it out together does seem plausible. I wonder if the wounds could tell them if it were two attackers or just one.

Hmmmm. Very interesting. The two POI's carrying it out together does seem plausible. I wonder if the wounds could tell them if it were two attackers or just one.

The brutality and nature of the rape is what makes me think this.

I am wondering if Adcox told police his interest was mainly little boys. But, I read another such person (a case totally unrelated to Kathy) say there was one way in which boys and girls weren't any different (in his opinion and related to what he did).

The brutality and nature of the rape is what makes me think this.

I am wondering if Adcox told police his interest was mainly little boys. But, I read another such person (a case totally unrelated to Kathy) say there was one way in which boys and girls weren't any different (in his opinion and related to what he did).

Yeah...maybe the brutality involved showed he was angry that he didn't get a boy to come along.

If there were two men, maybe the other guy picked her. So he may prefer little boys, but to me, once your OK crossing that line with a child, your preference doesn't mean you would turn your nose up given opportunity.

Yeah...maybe the brutality involved showed he was angry that he didn't get a boy to come along.

If there were two men, maybe the other guy picked her. So he may prefer little boys, but to me, once your OK crossing that line with a child, your preference doesn't mean you would turn your nose up given opportunity.

Well, that is what the person I read an interview with said (again, not related to Kathy's case). That girls were almost as good as boys. She was raped more than one way. Could be the same person, but what if it was two people with two different preferences? IDK though. I haven't seen the photos and definitely didn't see her body.

I am now officially Kathy's cousin. I just got verified.

Have you tried posting on Craig's list asking anyone who was there that night to contact you? I'm not sure if you would be comfortable doing that. I personally hate Craig's list. Just trying to think of ways we can verify the base facts, one being was Kathy ever at the rollerdrome that night.

Have you tried posting on Craig's list asking anyone who was there that night to contact you? I'm not sure if you would be comfortable doing that. I personally hate Craig's list. Just trying to think of ways we can verify the base facts, one being was Kathy ever at the rollerdrome that night.

I'm not really on any social media. I have tried searching different discussions for Kathy. I did find one place that I may post at since the people there all lived in Nashville back in the day. I can't link here though because it has a ton of real email addresses of people who are totally unrelated to any of this on it.

I haven't been able to find any photos of the All Weather Rollerdrome. However, I have found the building.

First, the way it was when the Nashville Scene wrote their article:
27zf1bo.jpg

Second, the way it is now (Performance Studios is a costume shop.. a BIG costume shop)
i7223q.jpg

another view
2ly0pp5.jpg

Now, I will go into the whole "her family was desperately poor". I do not believe the police at the time meant for people to get the idea that Kathy's family was in dire straits or that they weren't good people. There were some things going on at the time that made things difficult for Nora (Kathy's mother). I think this is all they were trying to say.

Kathy's father had recently died. So, this is why he isn't mentioned in the stories about Kathy and it's always just her mother being mentioned. So, Nora is a widow with a little girl and a toddler (Kathy's little brother Kelly). Kathy helped Nora a lot. I think Nora wanted Kathy to have fun as much as possible. So, she let her go skating and gave her some money for Krispy Kreme (this is a donut shop). It was only $1, but that is actually more than enough for a little girl to get some treats at Krispy Kreme in 1969.

Kathy lived in Woodbine which was working class to middle class. I do think perhaps their house was a little smaller than some. The neighborhood overall had enough kids whose parents could spare some money to go and risk their lives by riding the roller drome bus for a day of skating (obviously, for most this turned out well and was a fun experience... I have a very dim view of that bus due to Kathy and the 8 year old boy who was raped).

Part of the idea may have come from the fact that Kathy had handmedown skates. The skates were in excellent condition. Another one of my cousins who was older gave them to her, but I don't think that cousin had been able to use them much at all before she out grew them. Since no one expected Kathy to die and she was only 12, and buying her brand new skates might result in the exact same scenario... her outgrowing them. I thought most people with kids did this sort of thing? Or even adults. Why go out and spend money on something new when you have a thing right at hand that is as good as new? You can use that money some other way.

I don't know if Nora really would have been able to afford new skates just then, but if Kathy had been able to continue with skating.. Someone would have gotten her a pair. Meanwhile, she was happy with the pair she had been given.

Also, I think of my cousin who gave her the skates. Part of the reason Kathy wanted to go out that night was because of the skates. Here she thought she was sharing something nice with her little cousin and tragedy happens. It is really almost too much to think about... which is why we have let this go on by.

I really wouldn't care if people thought some people in my family were poor except people draw strange conclusions based on that idea. Kathy and her family as well as my family in general are NOT white trash. I know anyone would say that, but I've never been called that by anyone who personally knew me. I don't know anyone in my family who has been called that either (by people who have met us).

Kathy was well liked by the other kids in her neighborhood and at her school from everything I've heard. Other parents had no problems with letting their beloved children be friends with Kathy.

Kathy was a good little girl who left people heartbroken to this day. She was thrown down in weeds like she was trash. I do not think the police ever wanted anyone to think ill of her. I maybe think they were just saying Nora couldn't hire private detectives or offer rewards. And she couldn't.

I know it sounds practically insane to say it, but the amount of death and tragedy that has gone on in my family from the mid 60s until now has really distracted people. Most, people have gotten sick and died. There have been a few other things.. accidents, murder, suicide. But, mostly long grueling illnesses. I don't like to talk about it because everyone has problems, everyone has grief. And a lot of it isn't really anyone's fault.

But, maybe if all of that hadn't happened, we would have rallied up a big reward or courted the media or figured out how to hire investigators. But, while all of these things were going on, we did have to live day to day... people had to get educations, go to work, try to work on relationships with people who were still alive. I'm not trying to be all dramatic... our lives haven't been grinding misery or anything. But, when I look over it, I see what happened.

I just hope before everyone who knew Kathy dies, we can see justice in her case. She was a good girl. I don't know what happened that night, but she would have been cautious and she wouldn't have wanted to upset her mother. I think this is why the people the police have looked at are people who were around the neighborhood. Kathy saw them all of the time. She was a sweet girl who carried a Bible in her purse. She didn't know how evil some people could be.

I thank God that the little 8 year old boy knew what happened to Kathy because he did manage to escape with his life. He was a victim of Edward Warner Adcox according to the interview given by Micky Miller of the Metro Nashville Police.

I'm so sorry to hear that Nora suffered a double loss. Life can be so da*n tough. Your point is well taken, December. I get it. I really, really do. Families in the most favorable situations fall apart in the face of horrific tragedies, especially when a child is the victim. All sense of righteousness and humanity is annihilated. Some would say it puts life in perspective, and makes our other problems seem trivial. That's not true when you're living inside the nightmare. Then the smallest challenges are magnified 1000x.

JMO

December, if it's OK with you, I'll go and post something on the Nashville Craig's list site asking for people who went to the rollerdrome that night to email me. Maybe we can at least narrow down where she was last seen and if anyone noticed any unwanted attention her way. I don't want to do any of this without your permission though, as its your family member. My heart is completely broken for your family. You all have been through so, so much.

That's a great way to get good coverage, Angels. Has anyone looked for a topix thread? I'm not a big fan of topix, but I have seen some older cold cases get attention from locals on there. I'll search for one later.

I'm so sorry to hear that Nora suffered a double loss. Life can be so da*n tough. Your point is well taken, December. I get it. I really, really do. Families in the most favorable situations fall apart in the face of horrific tragedies, especially when a child is the victim. All sense of righteousness and humanity is annihilated. Some would say it puts life in perspective, and makes our other problems seem trivial. That's not true when you're living inside the nightmare. Then the smallest challenges are magnified 1000x.

JMO

Thank you, Bessie. I hope I have all my details right... being that some of this happened before I was born or when I was quite young or when my mother was sick I get a little confused. I am trying to be accurate. If I find out I am wrong about something, I will fix it. Nora died quite some time ago, so I guess that whole part of the family is reunited.

I didn't think when this stuff was happening that we had any more of it than anyone else, but then I just started putting it together when I saw this thread with no one on it yet and realized there aren't that many people any more to be on it.

Now, some people did live into their 80s. Which I am very grateful that happened.

ETA:
I'm sorry.. I accidentally cut out part of the message..

I am glad you understand what I'm saying and why I said it. I feel bad about bringing it up. I appreciate everyone being kind about it. I wouldn't really say this stuff anywhere else!

That's a great way to get good coverage, Angels. Has anyone looked for a topix thread? I'm not a big fan of topix, but I have seen some older cold cases get attention from locals on there. I'll search for one later.

There is a topix thread.

I posted this message there (the first commenter thought it happened in a different year, this is why I address that first):
I'm Kathy Jones's cousin.

It was definitely 1969. She disappeared 11/29/69.

I wonder if anyone knows if she ever made it to the roller skating rink?

Did she make it to the Krispy Kreme?

I know she was trying to go to those two places, but I am not sure if she ever got there.

If anyone has any memories about Kathy, I would love to hear them.

thank you.

So far, there haven't been any replies to it. But, then again, it is an older thread that I bumped. And maybe no one knows.

ETA:
The link
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/nashville-tn/TAPAQ4326OV40R0OL#lastPost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads