Presumed Located TN - Kevin Hamby, 38, Morgan County, 14 Nov 2017

But the off-road vehicle didn’t turn up for more than three years — until it was found deep in the woods of Morgan County on Monday, photos show.

The off-road RZR model vehicle with side-by-side seats was found “lodged against a tree” in a “remote and steep area near Pilot Mountain,” roughly 55 miles northwest of Knoxville, District Attorney General Russell Johnson wrote in a Facebook post.

When Hamby’s off-road vehicle was discovered Monday, officials said they fanned out 100 yards in each direction. The search for more possible clues continued Tuesday morning with police dogs and metal detectors, Johnson wrote.

“There is much speculation about the scene, how the RZR ended up in the location, and for how long — as well as the ultimate question, what happened to Kevin Hamby,” the post said. “Authorities hope that their search and a close forensic examination of the RZR will yield answers.”
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article250144914.html

A new lead in the case of Kevin Hamby, who’s been missing since November 2017, had investigators out searching for more clues Tuesday — after they found the all-terrain vehicle and a shoe belonging to him late Monday. District Attorney Russell Johnson said Tuesday authorities hope that their search and “a close forensic examination of the RZR will yield answers.”

To better understand the case, a timeline of reported events related to Hamby is below, from most recent developments at the top: *See complete timeline at link:
TIMELINE: The search continues for missing Morgan Co. man Kevin Hamby | WATE 6 On Your Side

The Pilot Mountain area is a few miles north and a bit west of Gobey. I don't know whether or how those communities are connected by trails and roads, but that area is incredibly rugged, remote, steep, and confusing.
When I look at the picture of the RZR, my impression is that it has not been there long. I would expect to see more leaves and debris on and in it. For example, looking inside where the front of the roof is touching the ground, that shows a pretty sharp, crisp line instead of having leaves drift around and in there. I would have expected the entire roof to be covered with leaves and dirt just in a few months. It doesn't look like there are any leaves on the bottom of the vehicle, which is facing up, either.
And if it tumbled down that steep hill, I would expect more damage...
So odd and concerning.
Wishing peace for Kevin's family.

I agree with Rockfarmer that it does not look like the ATV has been out there for 3 years. Natural debris accumulates quickly in the woods. I also find it interesting that Kevin’s shoe was found and was that easily identifiable after 3 years of being out in the elements.

I would assume when it was said that LE is searching using metal detectors they are looking for a metal medical device that was used in Kevin’s hip. If Kevin had wrecked out there and succumbed to injuries from the crash, wildlife would have scattered his remains.

Another thing that strikes me as odd is how visible the ATV is from either the road, 250 yards above it, or from a helicopter. Kevin went missing in mid November. Leaves and brush are already dying off at that time of year. Was this area searched previously? Was this an area Kevin was known to go riding in? Was this area searched by helicopter?

ETA- I hope they can finally bring closure to Kevin’s family soon!

Last edited:
"...human skull, a belt, pants, and t-shirt about 100 yards away from each other."
lots of photos, a map showing home and location of items
"[DA] Johnson said investigators are also bringing in local forestry experts from the University of Tennessee and state forestry division to identify damage to the tree the Polaris hit as well as sapling growth around the vehicle to determine how long it rested against the tree.
This will help determine whether the timeframe is consistent with November 2017 or if we have something totally different with the RZR possibly being taken to the ridge and maybe pushed over the slope," Johnson said."

It sounds like they have found him.

The press releases are from the district attorney are impressive, and he is giving out a very liberal amount of information.

I still have so many questions.
Have you gone to the DA's FB posts? He is including details that I would not expect, but I'm grateful for.
I can't wrap my head around this. There were so many rumors and much wild speculation. Could it simply have been a horrible accident? My heart is breaking all over again for his family.

Have you gone to the DA's FB posts? He is including details that I would not expect, but I'm grateful for.
I can't wrap my head around this. There were so many rumors and much wild speculation. Could it simply have been a horrible accident? My heart is breaking all over again for his family.

Yes, I did go to the DA’s Facebook page. I get the impression if they are releasing this much information, they must not suspect foul play.

I still question what kind of information was recently given to Kevin’s dad and then passed on to the DA or LE. Was it something like “You know, Kevin and I talked about riding in XYZ area. He was really excited to riding up there. Have you checked XYZ area?”

There are a couple things that really strike me as sad about this. Was he just outside a search area because it was deemed “too far away”? The video clips I have seen from the news talk about the county communications tower being in that area. Is the tower not inspected regularly, either on the ground or by air? Were drones used in the search? People on foot in that area? Horseback? ATVs?

Watching the video of the RZR coming up was indeed scary! I can’t imagine what it would be like to be on the ground while that was going on.

I was lifeflighted to Vanderbilt last fall after coming off a horse, and it is different when you are strapped to a stretcher. My husband took video of the helicopter landing to get me, and it sounds very similar.

According to the DA’s Facebook page, they did put a picture up showing the skull so that people could see there were no gunshot or any other sort of wounds to the skull. The DA has since removed them out of respect to the Hamby family.

It sounds like the DA is working very hard to discourage rumors of foul play.

RSBM
ah! That kind of cutter! Very, very cool! I am a reiner.
(Other types of cutters come to mind on this webpage, js.)

Yes, that kind of cutter! Not the self harm type, although the horse addiction might be considered a form of self harm.

I have a reining-bred horse as well- a grandson of Smart Chic Olena.

In regards to the RZR being lodged against a tree: When ADA Jonathan Edwards, who was on scene at the RZR location, explained to me that there is an impact mark on the tree from where the radial arm of the RZR hit the tree and that the impact mark has grown (assuming the RZR has not slid down) some distance upward with the tree growth, I contacted UT forestry professor Larry Tankersley, through extension agent John Goddard, who identified the photo of the tree as a red maple. Barksley referred me to Martin Shubert who is the local state forest manager.

Shubert is now on his way to the scene with Sheriff Potter to see what analysis he can lend, given growth of smaller saplings around the RZR, and the growth of the red maple to attempt to determine how long the RZR has rested against the tree. This will help determine whether the timeframe is consistent with November 2017 or if we have something totally different with the RZR possibly being taken to the ridge and maybe pushed over the slope. (For those CSI-types following this - The key was in the switch, but off. The RZR was still in gear.)

There have been so many rumors and conspiracy theories about Kevin Hamby‘s disappearance, we are trying to eliminate any possibility other than him become lost, driving off trail and crashing into this tree.
BBM

Search continues for probable remains of East Tennessee man missing since 2017

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie