GUILTY TN - MCET, 15, Abducted by Teacher, in Maury County, 13 March 2017 #19

Monday, September 24th:
*Formal Sentencing Delayed to 12/5/18 - TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas (15) (Mar. 13, 2017; found safe April, 2017) - Tad Cummins (50) accused of transporting minor across state lines & obstruction of justice (both felony charges).
April 5, 2018: plead guilty to FEDERAL charges of obstruction of justice & transporting a minor across state lines for the purpose of engaging in criminal sexual conduct. Cummins still faces State charges of kidnapping & sexual contact with a minor. Cummins faces a mandatory minimum of 10 years in prison for crossing state lines for sex with a minor. He also faces up to 20 years for obstruction of justice for destroying his & his former student’s cell phone when he fled with her.
9/19/18 Update: Defense files motion for continuance of sentencing. Granted. Now scheduled for 12/5 @ 10am.

Refresh my mind...

Is this a newer lawyer for TC? Is that why more time is needed?

Will the same lawyer represent him in state charges?

Why is more time needed if TC plead guilty? Unless his lawyer has other cases but would that not be said?

Good morning everyone....off to see what is going on in Cosby’s hearing.

Refresh my mind...

Why is more time needed if TC plead guilty? Unless his lawyer has other cases but would that not be said?

This is his original lawyer. Court appointed. Tad Cummins hired a private attorney Brent Hoarst. But he left the case, unexpectedly. Tad is now back with his original court appointed counsel.

Sigh. I wish her happiness and truelove, but she’s so young and it’s so soon. I really don’t feel that an 18-year-old young man is equipped to deal with the potential trauma and PTSD that perhaps she has not completely dealt with. Not that I’m saying that an older man would be better, because ewww and that’s why we’re here - again she’s just so young. I hope I’m wrong. I have nothing against young love, I just worry about it in this situation. I just wish they could slow down and enjoy a relationship for a few years.

Sigh. I wish her happiness and truelove, but she’s so young and it’s so soon. I really don’t feel that an 18-year-old young man is equipped to deal with the potential trauma and PTSD that perhaps she has not completely dealt with. Not that I’m saying that an older man would be better, because ewww and that’s why we’re here - again she’s just so young. I hope I’m wrong. I have nothing against young love, I just worry about it in this situation. I just wish they could slow down and enjoy a relationship for a few years.

At that age, they are still developing their views, and may change so much, as they grow older.
Perhaps this will be a long engagement, as they grow a little older.
MOO.

Refresh my mind...

Are we sure the state didn't drop the case in exchange for him pleading guilty to the federal charges?

Sometimes your state sentence will also run concurrent with your federal sentence as well.

Do y'all think the state wants to carry this out?

I would think IF State charges are still a go then it would be Tennessee. Anyone know what county? I can go look it up, if I have access...

TIA! :)

edited to add: I have not seen anything that has said the State charges were dismissed. Just FYI!

At that age, they are still developing their views, and may change so much, as they grow older.
MOO.
There are girls her age that set people up in trap houses as well. It's bad family upbringing that decides a person's thought process sometimes. Jmo

Now I am not blaming her family. But she obviously wants out from under them and she is using any boyfriend means to do it. Jmo

MOO.
Teenagers get "engaged" a lot more frequently than they actually get married. I doubt this relationship will last very long, and I certainly doubt it will lead to marriage.

AGAIN???!!

Tad Cummins asks for sentencing delay

November 20th:
COLUMBIA, Tenn. - The public defender representing Tad Cummins filed a motion Tuesday asking for a sentencing delay of at least 60 days.

He claims they haven't had enough time to review the pre-sentence report.

The report claims Cummins used violence and threats of force to coerce his former student to run away with him.

Cummins' attorney says he plans to present evidence to refute the claim.
[.....]
Sentencing for Cummins is currently set for December 5th. The Judge has yet to rule on the new motion.

AGAIN???!!

Tad Cummins asks for sentencing delay

November 20th:
COLUMBIA, Tenn. - The public defender representing Tad Cummins filed a motion Tuesday asking for a sentencing delay of at least 60 days.

He claims they haven't had enough time to review the pre-sentence report.

The report claims Cummins used violence and threats of force to coerce his former student to run away with him.

Cummins' attorney says he plans to present evidence to refute the claim.
[.....]
Sentencing for Cummins is currently set for December 5th. The Judge has yet to rule on the new motion.

So he wants a trial now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back