GUILTY TN - Sean Powell, 18, shot to death, Knoxville, 10 March 2007

Eric testified today, said it was an accident and he never intended to kill Sean, the pros was very aggressive, he really went after Eric and imo did a very good job

the defence will continue tomorrow, I don't think they have that many more witnesses

Today we also heard testimony about the gun, and it was shown to the jury, and the safety features and the steps needed to fire it were explained

Just curious Joe, are you in the courtroom?

Just curious Joe, are you in the courtroom?

no it is being streamed on CTV and on TV, I think they expect it to finish before the OJ trial starts, and then it will be wall to wall OJ for the next few weeks of his trial

I know Eric killed Powell who didn't deserve to die. But I still have always seen Eric as a victim too. Erin created the mess. I really see her as the villian. All she had to do was divorce Eric and go about her business. Because she flaunted the affair, families were destroyed. I know Eric made his choices too. I just don't think the prosecution should make her out to be an angel. I know I wouldn't want her teaching at my son's school.

I know Eric killed Powell who didn't deserve to die. But I still have always seen Eric as a victim too. Erin created the mess. I really see her as the villian. All she had to do was divorce Eric and go about her business. Because she flaunted the affair, families were destroyed. I know Eric made his choices too. I just don't think the prosecution should make her out to be an angel. I know I wouldn't want her teaching at my son's school.

For me Eric is the only one on trial, he killed Sean, I believe in cold blood, I don't think he was the docile browbeaten husband he tries to say he is

he took a loaded rifle into the situation, Erin did not make him do that, he cocked it and put his finger on the trigger, he fired it and shot an unarmed defenceless person in the head

imo unless he was aiming that gun right at Seans head then he would not have been shot in the head, I think he killed him deliberately, and I could care less what type of person Erin is

Defence case was just two character witnesses, and one who said Sean was kicked out of where he was staying as he was found in bed with the owners GF
State rebuttal was better, they had a witness who told a very different story of the marraige to Eric, this woman had numeroous phone calls from Erin and Eric together, arguing constantly (Eric said they never argued, he would never challenge his wife) about the marraige and about Sean Powell, and that on the 10th one hour before the murder they were on the phone to her and they were arguing, Eric was angry over Sean and he was trying to make Erin jealous by saying he and the witness were closer than they were

so an angry Eric killed Sean one hour later, guess he was not the docile browbeaten husband he told the jury he was, he was an angry man who then killed the target of his anger

IMO, this was without a doubt one of the best trials InSessions/CTV has ever had.

I am so glad that the jury saw the evidence that it was a reckless homicide and all of it came from the State's witnesses. Now that is priceless and I have never witnessed it in another trial.

The community is behind Eric. The people that really knew him knows he was not capable of murdering anyone.

He was a young man so full of blind love for a wife that deserved none of it. To be taunted, defaced, and demeaned by even having her lover in Eric's own home is one of the cruelest and most wicked emotional abuses I have ever seen.

My husband who is a avid gun owner told me from the very start the gun discharging was an accident when Sean grabbed the barrel causing Eric to instinctively pull back. He said the convincing evidence was the photo showing the wound on Sean's hand. It was exactly where it would be when the aim sight at the end of the barrel recoiled when fired when Sean had his hand gripping the end of the barrel.

POSTON proved it was not murder at all.

imoo

I am so happy that Eric didn't get 1st or 2nd degree murder. I never believed that he shot Sean on purpose. He is such a nice, gentle young man and it all showed when he testified. My heart really went out to him and I believe that he will suffer that killing for the rest of his life. His attorney was outstanding and such a compassionate man. He reminds me of the attorney that Cody had in New Mexico.

I believe I heard Bruce Posten say that the next step is to find Erin and get the boys. If anyone deserves to raise those boys it is Eric. Erin is living in slum hotels with a 19 yr old now. I guess Dateline have videos of her, the way she lives and her with the newest kid. I'm also glad that Eric went ahead and got a divorce or is in the process of getting one. Bless his heart. It's hard to believe that a married woman and an 18 yr old kid could be so bold as these two were. Talk about "in your face!"

I hope Eric gets probation or just a short time in prison. I'm just so thankful that he won't be in prison for the rest of his life. The system worked this time thanks to Bruce Posten, Eric, and a jury that really listened to the facts and what Eric said on the stand. :woohoo:

I feel that justice was served in this case and I hope Eric gets his two sons back and Erin can live her life with her boytoys. She is an insult to the teaching profession. :dance:

I am so happy that Eric didn't get 1st or 2nd degree murder. I never believed that he shot Sean on purpose. He is such a nice, gentle young man and it all showed when he testified. My heart really went out to him and I believe that he will suffer that killing for the rest of his life. His attorney was outstanding and such a compassionate man. He reminds me of the attorney that Cody had in New Mexico.

I believe I heard Bruce Posten say that the next step is to find Erin and get the boys. If anyone deserves to raise those boys it is Eric. Erin is living in slum hotels with a 19 yr old now. I guess Dateline have videos of her, the way she lives and her with the newest kid. I'm also glad that Eric went ahead and got a divorce or is in the process of getting one. Bless his heart. It's hard to believe that a married woman and an 18 yr old kid could be so bold as these two were. Talk about "in your face!"

I hope Eric gets probation or just a short time in prison. I'm just so thankful that he won't be in prison for the rest of his life. The system worked this time thanks to Bruce Posten, Eric, and a jury that really listened to the facts and what Eric said on the stand. :woohoo:

I am just in awe of this case, Bobbi. It is the first case I can ever remember where all the evidence that proved this was indeed an accidentally shooting came right from the State's witnesses.

When Mr. Poston did his demonstration I was amazed it was just exactly how my husband had already described it to me.

The jury was exemplary and kept whittling it down until they got to the charge that fit the offense.

On IS it was said that the jury they were looking at the two lowest charges but determined the lowest one did not fit the circumstances. The lowest charge would have been "self defense" and Eric had always taken responsibility for shooting Sean... so reckless was the just and correct verdict.

Poston said by law when Eric goes before the jury he is to get probation. He has no criminal history and this is a Class D Felony which means he will most likely get probation.

I am sorry that Sean died but I will never understand his boldness to come and taunt Eric like he did. It seems sadistic imo. That is why he wasn't scared of Eric even with the gun. He had already just laughed at him when Eric called 911 trying to get him to leave.

imoo

well holy crap! Eric's wife or former wife is now living with ANOTHER TEEN BOY! Talk about sick. No wonder the prosecution didn't want to call her as a witness. Now it makes all sense. Goodness I hope he gets custody. She's gonna destroy everyone's life.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/02/teacher.sex.slaying.ap/index.html

A teacher who disappeared after her then-husband killed her 18-year-old lover is living in Texas with her sons and another teenage man, according to testimony at a hearing Wednesday on who should get custody of the boys.

Talk about sick. It's a wonder prosecution did NOT call her as their witness in last months trial. Witch doesn't deserve to raise her children IMO. She created this entire senario and did not pay the price. Goading her husband, laughing at him while he walked in on her & her teen boy doing it in the marriage bed. This chick should have been the one on trial.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/02/teacher.sex.slaying.ap/index.html

Awww, come on Patty the kid is a "temporary helper".:rolleyes:

The saddest thing of all is there's a teen boy dead. Gone.

I don't understand women or men for that matter that cheat. If you are unhappy and looking for someone new, why not just leave? Because of her selfishness, someone is dead and she obviously didn't and still doesn't care.. Horrible woman! :mad:

I saw this in the news yesterday. What is this woman thinking?

fran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back