TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE responded quickly and shooter killed. 3 children and 3 adults dead.
RSBM At least this time there was a quick response from LE limiting the number of victims killed. Six is still six too many but not a repeat of the elementary school shooting where LE hung around outside (Uvalde, Texas). IMO MOO

EBM to reflect number of shooting victims. (Thanks @DS2021)

I understand and agree with your sentiment, but EVERY parent should have the right to expect that their children are safe when they are in school, not just parents who can afford to send their kids to private schools,
Until today, I was not aware of shootings taking place in non-public schools. I have no doubt that some parents choose to send their children to private schools because they feel that they are safer there than in a public school environment. After the shooting at a religious elementary school today, it seems that no school is immune to such violence.

Horrifying actions like these, school shootings and other mass murders, once considered unthinkable, once looked upon as national catastrophes, have become so much more common over the past couple of decades. When that kind of "normalization" happens, people who might have fought their troubles in other ways, or even sought direct help, now see another path, one that would never before have occured to them. It was only a matter of time before women would see that same path as being viable for them. Rare, yes, but I believe there will be others. It's a different time, a much sadder time.

JMO

Until today, I was not aware of shootings taking place in non-public schools. I have no doubt that some parents choose to send their children to private schools because they feel that they are safer there than in a public school environment. After the shooting at a religious elementary school today, it seems that no school is immune to such violence.
I am sure that many parents, who are financially able to, send their kids to private schools for many reasons, and the thought that they are safer is likely one of them. But anyone not living under a rock surely has to know that no school, public or private, or any business, or any church, or in fact, any neighborhood is immune from the possibility of gun violence in this country. It is a national pandemic. To avoid getting myself in trouble, that is all I will say.

Last edited:
There was the West Nickel Mines PA shooting in an Amish school back in 2006. Probably more but that was the first one that came to mind.

I am sure that many parents, who are financially able to, send their kids to private schools for many reasons, and the thought that they are safer is probably one of them. But anyone not living under a rock surely has to know that no school, public or private, or any business, or any church, or in fact, any neighborhood is immune from the possibility of gun violence in this country. It is a national pandemic. To avoid getting myself in trouble, that is all I will say.

Violence (in almost all forms) seems to be a national pandemic.

I feel the perpetrators of serious violence are getting younger.

jmo

ETA: And the US fails miserably at keeping weapons out of the hands of the young as well as those who are mentally/emotionally disturbed.

MOO I think there has been one shooting in a religious school before in the US but I'm too lazy to research that so just MOO IMO. However, I think the general point is that people don't want to believe that everywhere can potentially be unsafe. I think back to the Dunblane Massacre in 1996 where (almost) nobody in the UK would have believed that an armed gunman with a number of grudges would enter a primary school and shoot a whole class of 5-6 year olds and their teacher. Yet he did. Back then, that was the sort of thing that we imagined happening in the US or at most a big city in the UK. It's terrible when a school shooting happens, but I'm no longer surprised at whereever it happens.

RIP to those in Nashville.

Violence (in almost all forms) seems to be a national pandemic.

I feel the perpetrators of serious violence are getting younger.

jmo
There's an anger and a rage spilling out into so many different areas. We all see it with the violent videos being posted all over social media. Beatings, muggings, shootings, stabbings, folks being shoved into oncoming trains, trashing and looting in retail stores, and the list goes on and on. I'm no statistics expert but WE ALL KNOW this crap didn't go on as often as it does now, even 5 years ago. Something in our culture is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk