TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to delete it thought it may not be approved source. I hope the parents were not home, that would terrify me, especially if I had no idea yet as to what had happened.
I think it's an okay source but you could report your post if you want and a mod could take a look.
And yes it would be so frightening! OMG I hope they were not at home.

I was about to delete it thought it may not be approved source. I hope the parents were not home, that would terrify me, especially if I had no idea yet as to what had happened.
I wonder if this is normal for LE to do this post mass shooting. Concern of incendiary devices or bombs left behind?

Nashville school shooter Audrey Hale was “heartbroken” over the 2022 death of a girl she was “infatuated” with, and who had played on the same basketball team in school.

Samira Hardcastle told The Post “tomboyish” Hale had been deeply affected by the death of Sydney Sims, who was killed in a vehicle accident in August 2022 according to an obituary.

Hardcastle, a classmate of both girls in middle and high school, said, “After Sydney’s tragic death, Audrey was really heartbroken over it … I just feel like she took it differently than some of us did. She was still posting about Sydney almost daily.

I've just recently tried to formulate a life history interview technique that tries to look at rage.

I get some help from WS in this, as we are all pondering it. There seem to be two uses of the word. One is "blind" rage, in which the rage-experiencer states that they literally blacked out, can remember up to a certain point in time, and then everything is just red or black blur in their mind after that. These are statements from people who know they committed a crime and remember the lead-up, but at some point, lost their minds and did something they did not specifically plan to do at that moment (they've usually thought about hurting people, frequently). MMPI and other personality tests do ask about such dark thoughts - many people have them, at least occasionally, if they are honest. A mild example would be wishing you could grab that parking space by speeding up in your car when someone else is coming from the wrong direction to get to "your" space, and you don't care if you hit them, you're so mad! (That's not rage, if you simply went and found another spot, IMO).

Rage is hard to define. Blind rage is easier to describe. But cold rage is a thing too. One man (later imprisoned for serial rape) told me certain people evoked cold rage in him; a deep desire to harm them. A certain type of person. His victims were within that group. The cold rage was daily, he felt it followed him around like a cloud, sometimes enveloping him. He was rather hyper-vigilant (paranoid) too. No known mental illness. His identical twin was already in prison for violent crimes when I did that interiew.

And so now I ask anyone who will tolerate my technique to talk to me about rage.

I really do not think I've ever experienced it. I've been angry, but when I'm angry, I consciously decide what to do and say. No examples of amnesia or blind rage that I know of. When I used to drink in college, I'd forget some of the night before - but I wasn't in a rage, I was being ridiculous instead.

I usually react by putting up walls and barriers to the presence of the angry-making person or situation, or I may write a letter or I might make one of my sharply focused speeches. On a daily basis, I feel extreme sadness about the cases we discuss, and the ones that make me feel what I think might be rage are Gannon's case and Suzanne Morphew's case. I am so angry - but I experience no blank states of mind, no impulsivity, no need to plan to go mess with Barry Morphew etc. So I don't understand it any better than anyone else does. Despite years of trying. I don't suddenly lash out at anyone and I've lived with some very difficult people.

There's a book (Rage of a Headhunter) that has helped me very much, though. It appears that rage may be an accumulation of un-discharged anger. Oddly, in that study, when people were very very angry, their anger subsided each time they told someone else about the person who made them so angry (it was always over a person).

Seeing a loved one harmed was the most common trigger, in that study. That may be relevant in this case, as well.

IMO. IME.
Interesting, but I'm not sure how it's been concluded this was motivated by rage...

The one indication from the person who received the last message, was that the intention was suicide.

Desire to suicide isn't provoked by rage, IMO. Rage is very energizing, makes the person feel vibrant and alive.

Perhaps long term depression, or any other number of emotions, like (self) hatred, despair, etc. Perhaps then it turned outward to blame and hatred.

It's been commented, the LE who shot her didn't do so out of rage. (Or hatred.)

So neither is it necessary that she killed her victims out of rage, either. Perhaps just a desire for infamy after death, from a person who hated (ie had lost all empathy), for anyone else.

JMO.

I just logged on WS after taking a break from my weeks of virtual Murdaugh jury duty.

A couple of thoughts. After watching LE's cam video I noticed that the most of the desks were open underneath them where the desk legs are, including the teachers - I don't know if that is how all schools are but it was a great help for LE to quickly be able to clear the room and move to the next. Good idea!

<modsnip>

I am so sorry for the victims, their families and the innocent good people that will be tormented by this senseless event. JMO after reading a few pages on here.

Nashville school shooter Audrey Hale was “heartbroken” over the 2022 death of a girl she was “infatuated” with, and who had played on the same basketball team in school.

Samira Hardcastle told The Post “tomboyish” Hale had been deeply affected by the death of Sydney Sims, who was killed in a vehicle accident in August 2022 according to an obituary.

Hardcastle, a classmate of both girls in middle and high school, said, “After Sydney’s tragic death, Audrey was really heartbroken over it … I just feel like she took it differently than some of us did. She was still posting about Sydney almost daily.
In the tribute book she commented as Audrey. JMO

I'll agree.

That said...when Hale decided to let anyone know that a murder was about to occur and that suicidal feelings were involved, it was 10 minutes before the act. The Instagram message was done in the parking lot of the school right before she slaughtered the children. I'm not sure how "help" can be administered that quickly. Nobody knew where the perp was...and the perp contacted a friend from middle school to whom there was no contact in years.

According to LE statements, Hale was receiving mental health treatment for emotional disturbances.

Imho
It could help because, ideally, it would be just one aspect of an overall change where mental health care was much more available and much less stigmatized. Is it confirmed that was the first contact in years? It seems like a person reached out to immediately before/during a mass shooting is probably someone occupying a pivotal focal point for the mental health crisis.

It would just be nice if there was a culture where those of us who have good mental health could be relied on to minimally participate in the care of those of us who need mental help. I'm not assuming this is the case of implying any blame if it is but, universally, it would be helpful if therapists could act as intermediaries in unrequited romantic fixations and other irrational idealizations.

It's a good place to start. Christchurch is a good example of how it can work. Nobody forced the media in NZ to not publicise the killer - they just en masse decided to not give him the platform he so obviously craved. They focussed on the memorial services and the community outreach to support the survivours.

MOO
I also remember that whenever the BBC showed that person, they would fuzzy his image out, in a big oval with a moving orange blob in the center. I felt that was appropriate, and they did not use his name either.

I apologize if this has been talked about already, but I was wondering if anyone has discussed the protocols that were in place at the school. It seems that the kids were on lockdown by the time the police arrived. That doesn’t seem like standard protocol at all schools, but it seems like it probably saved a lot of lives. Do you know where the kids were hiding and how they made sure the shooter did not get in there?

I apologize if this has been talked about already, but I was wondering if anyone has discussed the protocols that were in place at the school. It seems that the kids were on lockdown by the time the police arrived. That doesn’t seem like standard protocol at all schools, but it seems like it probably saved a lot of lives. Do you know where the kids were hiding and how they made sure the shooter did not get in there?
Everything I have read states that all the children except for 2 were lockdown on the 2nd floor. I personally think there must have been something going on assembly or something for them all to be in one place. I am still curious as to where the 2 missing kids were and if they were victims :(. I feel the school did an amazing job, there is video on about page 35 that shows the school staff meeting the officers and providing information, calm and to the point. I am hopeful we will learn more about the protocol and the room they were in.

Everything I have read states that all the children except for 2 were lockdown on the 2nd floor. I personally think there must have been something going on assembly or something for them all to be in one place. I am still curious as to where the 2 missing kids were and if they were victims :(. I feel the school did an amazing job, there is video on about page 35 that shows the school staff meeting the officers and providing information, calm and to the point. I am hopeful we will learn more about the protocol and the room they were in.
Thank you! Sadly maybe those missing kids had gone to the bathroom? If they were in an assembly setting, they must’ve been able to secure that location very well and that was lucky. And yes, I have seen the video of the school staff who showed amazing bravery while greeting and informing the officers. I think it’s the footage of the beginning of the body cam video.

Thank you! Sadly maybe those missing kids had gone to the bathroom? If they were in an assembly setting, they must’ve been able to secure that location very well and that was lucky. And yes, I have seen the video of the school staff who showed amazing bravery while greeting and informing the officers. I think it’s the footage of the beginning of the body cam video.
I noticed when the officers were clearing the 1st floor classrooms, each classroom had a bathroom in it, I thought that was brilliant for safety purposes if a lockdown occurred during a bathroom trip, also keeps children from wandering the halls. I do not know if there was an assembly but it makes the most sense to me that those 1st floor classrooms were empty that quickly. I did not notice if there were doors exiting the building in the classrooms, that would be another way for a fast escape once the alarms went off. I am also wondering if the alarms were automatic when the door was shattered or if someone in fact hit a panic button.

I noticed when the officers were clearing the 1st floor classrooms, each classroom had a bathroom in it, I thought that was brilliant for safety purposes if a lockdown occurred during a bathroom trip, also keeps children from wandering the halls. I do not know if there was an assembly but it makes the most sense to me that those 1st floor classrooms were empty that quickly. I did not notice if there were doors exiting the building in the classrooms, that would be another way for a fast escape once the alarms went off. I am also wondering if the alarms were automatic when the door was shattered or if someone in fact hit a panic button.
Great points. It was a beautiful and quite large interior for a k-6 school. Seems like those panic alarms are not typical either. Definitely added to the horror of the body cam footage but hopefully caused panic in the monster as well and made them feel like their end was near and hellfire was waiting.

There's an anger and a rage spilling out into so many different areas. We all see it with the violent videos being posted all over social media. Beatings, muggings, shootings, stabbings, folks being shoved into oncoming trains, trashing and looting in retail stores, and the list goes on and on. I'm no statistics expert but WE ALL KNOW this crap didn't go on as often as it does now, even 5 years ago. Something in our culture is broken.
You are so right….we are living in VERY broken times. Brokenness is everywhere. These horrific events happen so frequently now that we have normalized the violence. We barely have time to react and respond before yet another event happens. Laws will not stop the violence; only a change in the DNA of the human heart can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆