Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #5 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so after this new information I'm feeling extremely unsettled. So the adoptive "father" killed her dog as a threat? Dang. And when Rogers came and got her, she wrote a long letter about what happened and sent it with an SD card to the FBI? That's an interesting development. It does help answer the question as to why she was afraid to tell other adults-she was concerned for everyone's safety. Poor girl.

Adoptive father who raped teen daughter made sure she feared him by shooting her dog, skinning it & dumping body in yard: Lawyer

I hear ya'. It truly does answer why this poor kid didn't tell anyone (except a strange dude on the internet and possibly her mother), but what it doesn't explain is why BR didn't call the police and instead did what he did. He's a 31 year old male who wasn't being raped or threatened by the father and has the cognitive abilities to know what to do to help her, that didn't involve production of child *advertiser censored*, which he then apparently downloaded and left on his computer.

Okay, so after this new information I'm feeling extremely unsettled. So the adoptive "father" killed her dog as a threat? Dang. And when Rogers came and got her, she wrote a long letter about what happened and sent it with an SD card to the FBI? That's an interesting development. It does help answer the question as to why she was afraid to tell other adults-she was concerned for everyone's safety. Poor girl.

Adoptive father who raped teen daughter made sure she feared him by shooting her dog, skinning it & dumping body in yard: Lawyer

From the link:

"The pair reportedly didn’t know whether the FBI received the package or not, and when police arrived at Rogers’ home on January 31, he allegedly lied about the girl being there because he wasn’t sure whether she would be returned to her father. According to the court documents, Rogers didn’t know Pruitt had been arrested."

Still paints a picture of trying to protect SLP, in my mind anyway. IMO there will be more lol :)

I wonder how she is doing, and what she thinks of what's going on. Does she feel protective toward BR, not realizing the inappropriateness of his actions? If he is fully prosecuted, I wonder what that will do to her. For her, he may just be Bryan, her gaming buddy who helped her get away from her nasty step-father.

That's true. Ugh.

Except the defense presented their best evidence in that memorandum. And it's the complete reverse. He tried hard to convince her that the ONLY way she could escape and not be sent back is if she recorded herself being raped and sent it to him.

It was not until after she continually said she could not bring herself to do it and would kill herself or run away if he didn't help her, that he then reluctantly (IMO) said, "well then run to a friend's house. Hope for the best." Etc.

There is zero excuse for not immediately calling the police and asking for help for this child. IMO it's utter nonsense. She didn't need to produce child *advertiser censored* for him and be transported across state lines by a fully grown man she met online, in order to be rescued.

He had their entire damn conversation where she described the abuse, in writing.

One call.

Thank you for throwing me back over the fence, I am bruised I'm going back and forth so much.

Question

Why do you think it took over two weeks for law enforcement to find these communications? That is so disappointing to me and such a scenario as a little girl missing, a girl missing with her sheets missing Etc.

Looking back, it seems apparent that they should have found him earlier if they had searched her accounts and found what we now know existed. Do you have any idea as to why that happened?

I hear ya'. It truly does answer why this poor kid didn't tell anyone (except a strange dude on the internet and possibly her mother), but what it doesn't explain is why BR didn't call the police and instead did what he did. He's a 31 year old male who wasn't being raped or threatened by the father and has the cognitive abilities to know what to do to help her, that didn't involve production of child *advertiser censored*, which he then apparently downloaded and left on his computer.

And on his computer the video was found. It wasn't shredded. It wasn't encrypted. As I have no idea about BR's computing skills, I don't know if his efforts were more in the open due to stupidity, or just common daily use. I guess it comes down to anything else found on said computer...

I have been thinking about this as best I can from SP's perspective not mine.

It has been suggested that she should have gone to the hospital, told them what happened and asked for a rape kit. I cannot find a hospital in Madisonville, there is one in Sweetwater and in Athens but none listed in Madisonville. Besides, are we expecting her to get up off that bed, literally, pull herself together, leave the house on foot and WALK toward Madisonville, not knowing where she is going? She was moved from Georgia and kept isolated on that farm outside of town. And, she was scared to death of her parents.

It has been suggested that she tell her friends. She had no friends in Tennessee, they were all back in Georgia. She had been on that farm for approximately a month, had not attended school. She was isolated. Where would she make friends?

Some of the solutions or "what she should have done" or what BDR should have done are from folks like me sitting in my safe living room. I haven't walked in her shoes or his either for that matter so I am going to look at this through a more positive lense.

And, I fully expected to get pounded for this point of view. ;)
You certainly won't get a pounding from me. I agree. I'm just glad he at least got her away from likely DEATH at the hands of the evil stepped in it dad.

I know - but we haven't been given that information that I can find - just that BR lied at 4pm and she answered the door the second time at 8pm - he may have been at work, or not? I don't recall reading whether she was home at 4 or if he was home at 8....My personal guess? She was at work at 4 and he was home. He may have been at work at 8 - but they arrested him that night - January 31. IIRC 8:30pm or so?
Prosecutors: Man asked for video of Tennessee teen’s rape before taking her to Wisconsin
He was arrested at work (from the court documents filed on behalf of BR) p. 13. Mom was there and saw her removed from the house - it's footnote 4.

I agree. Yesterday I was feeling optimistic that this poor girl was not taken advantage of further after escaping her abuser in TN. Sadly, I just have more questions now that I've had time to really read over this stuff. :(
MOO

... and read input and opinions from our fellow posters, especially @gitana1, who is a child advocate.

Pushed me back over the fence!

I know, I agree. This would literally open up a pandora's box and maybe set future case precedence.

I have no idea how this will turn out.

And I will admit openly that I really did hope the FBI and evidence attempt gave an indication of good intent but things are not always as they seem.

I hope it's the truth for SLPs sake not my own.

Dear @Misngpersresearcher,

Absolutely agree. We don't know how this will turn out and whether this case will set a legal precedent.

In my post from last Thursday, I referred to B.D.R.'s lawyer, Marcus J. Berghahn and that this case could set a legal precedent as Mr. Berghahan would address the "gray areas of the law". He has subsequently filed a legal document regarding this.

The possibility of gray areas and mitigating factors were the reasons which I, and others on this thread, felt would make this an interesting case.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure...there’s NO WAY her mom didn’t know that her dad killed her dog & left its skinned body laying in the yard. If my husband did something like that, my children and I would be gone that very day. Talked about a horrifying sign of violence and terrorism. Those poor children; I hope they can go on to have happy and normal lives.

I might be wrong with what I am thinking but I believe SLP was so desperate to get away from evil RP she would have left her home with almost anyone she felt she could trust. I'm trying to put myself in her situation and to me "time" was the most important thing. She knew she didn't have much time before RP came at her again or killed another animal.

I know many of you will disagree that BR is a hero but if it was me I would see him as my hero. No it was smart for him to cross over state lines to go pick up a minor BUT she needed help and in her mind she didn't have time to waste begging other people to come and rescue her. He crossed state lines to go and rescue someone who was a stranger to him other than chatting online about games. The way he went about rescuing her seems like the only way possible to save her. Was it the smart way? No but I can't think of any other way to get her the heck out of that house.

I don't think BR had any ill intentions at all and he was just trying to help save her. If I was BR and some girl asked me to help her the way she asked him I honestly would have done exactly what he did. I believe they were waiting for RP to be in police custody. Now why he didn't tell his mother? Maybe he thought she would call LE before they had the chance to arrest RP. I'm really not sure why he didn't tell her. I ask myself if I would have told my mother and I don't think I would have because I wouldn't want to her to call LE. My mother would have freaked out and called LE no doubt so I can somewhat understand why he didn't tell his mother he hid SLP in the basement.

I'm sure in SLP's mind the absolute worst thing that could have possibly happened to her next would be being forced to go back to her house. That would have certainly made me feel like I had no other way out of my life other than suicide. I also don't think BR caused her any harm. She trusted him enough to stay in that basement all that time even when he was away at work. It isn't like he had her tied up and stayed with her everyday abusing her. Why did this entire ordeal take 2 weeks? No clue other than this most likely the first time BR has ever saved someone and didn't really know exactly how to go about it. That is just my 2 cents.

From the link:

"The pair reportedly didn’t know whether the FBI received the package or not, and when police arrived at Rogers’ home on January 31, he allegedly lied about the girl being there because he wasn’t sure whether she would be returned to her father. According to the court documents, Rogers didn’t know Pruitt had been arrested."

Still paints a picture of trying to protect SLP, in my mind anyway. IMO there will be more lol :)
He worked at UPS (from the memorandum filed) and had started at FEDEX - I find it difficult to believe he would not have used tracking and followed up on this very important package that cost this child so much and subjected her to such brutality at the hands of RP. You can go into most mail centers, pay cash, fill out the label with anything you want for return address and keep the tracking number. He would know this IMO. This package was to save both of them (his proof he did nothing wrong in his mind and her proof of the attack complete with pictures of RP) - I don't get it.

I think it is possible she sent him photos and at least one other "rape" file as evidenced by the Memorandum filed whereby he says she could run away and show the people you run to the recording - this was before he convinced her to video the rape again (page 8) JMO
BBM

Exactly! So , it is a very real possibility that BR encouraged the audio recording AND the video recording. Perhaps having that poor child submit herself to be raped TWICE under his "advisement".

Last edited:
I read the defense memo. Unlike the majority, I do not see this man as a "misguided" hero, although his actions did lead to evidence being generated. Why?

1. What 31 year old converses online with a minor child? I have a major problem with that. They had multiple conversations. Clearly she had developed a trust or friendship with this 31 year old adult in order to get to the point she was willing to reveal abuse to him and beg him for help. What adult man is having such indepth conversations with a minor child on the internet?

2. Yes. He suggested a couple other options in the conversation the defense laid out. But he didn't press those extremely viable options. Like going to the hospital to get a rape kit. He didn't urge her to do so and reassure her that with her word and her rapists' DNA inside her, she'd be rescued by police. To me, he suggested them as other options but he didn't seem serious about those options. He didn't cycle back to them. When she begged for help he didn't continually tell her she'd be safe with those options. What he really pressed was video evidence. He really wanted that video.

3. There was audio that, when coupled with her own words, would've been quite enough for her to go to the police and be rescued. He continued to insist on VIDEO.

4. After receiving the video, he didn't simply call the authorities. "Hey, this child sent me this video of her being raped." He didn't immediately call 911. He told her he wouldn't be in trouble for picking her up if she made a video with evidence. And once she made it, he picked her up. However, that shows he believed it was viable evidence. And it shows he believed that the presence of the video would protect him from legal trouble. In other words, he didn't know asking her to make it would be illegal if he could show he was doing it to help get evidence. So he had no reason not to call 911 immediately and give them what he had gotten her to produce.

5. After receiving the video, he picked her up and took her out of state. He has ZERO reason not to drive her to a local LE department immediately, with the video. Instead, he took her across state lines.

6. He waited over 10 days to send the evidence to LE while harboring this minor in his mother's basement. Why?

7. What's this about him saying the video was too blurry?

I find his actions quite suspect. I don't think he deserves a medal for not sexually assaulting her for the days he had her. He could've been quite happy with just the video e got her to generate. He could've been working up to further exploitation.

If he was an 18 or 19 year old young man his actions might be more excusable to me because they're still at that age when there's this magical divide between adults and kids. Where adults and authorities aren't totally trusted.

But this is a 31 year old man conversing with a minor child online for a lengthy time period and insisting she generate child *advertiser censored* before he can help her.

The reaction here and the fact that he appears not to have assaulted her makes me believe he might indeed prevail in mitigating the charge. But I believe the charge was and is viable and necessary.

Just think of the sordid avenues we would be opening up to child sexual exploitation if a defense to encouraging a child to video and send an adult a recording of herself being assaulted, would be viable, under the auspicies of trying to "gather evidence".

I believe the charge is merited.

Finally, I think @MsFacetious mentioned a kidnapping charge would probably be dropped against BR. I didn't see any kidnapping charge. Only one charge - child exploitation. Am I wrong?
Thank you for this.

One (of many) things about this case that really struck a nerve with me is that BR encouraged SP to get raped again!
He wanted to see that video so badly!
jmo

When I read the comments of the conversation that Gitana posted, I could feel his desperation in getting that video,

He tried all kinds of manipulations to get her to do it.

He is 31. She is 14. He is old enough to be her father.

The truth, as brazenly unwanted as it is, is that he was right when he told her he's going to do it to you again so get it on tape next time so you have a weapon of your own to hold. Otherwise, you could be the next skinned animal on that property.
(I hate saying that so bluntly but it's the truth....as ugly as it is.)

BBM

Exactly! So , it is a very real possibility that he encouraged the audio recording AND the video recording. Perhaps having that poor child submit herself to be raped TWICE under his "advisement".
Yes but some continue to believe he is the hero rather than a predator. I think the original complaint does not have all of the evidence in it - only enough to hold him IMO. I hope the hearing brings forth more of what the FBI collected. I know from other cases it does take time to get warrants for emails etc. I can imagine RP attempted to wipe any evidence from their home electronics and hope if he did, they retrieved that information as well - I think this is partly the reason why it took them until January 31 to arrest RP. They then used that trail to arrest BR based on what I have read. all JMO

I think the problem with defense document is that we are seeing the snippets designed to evoke sympathy. It had that effect. Same for the original prosecution filing, for opposite effect.

What was said before or after what we have seen? Context matters.

If people have empathy for BR now, I’m pretty sure they’ll have less after new information is revealed at the 2PM counterpunch.

Last edited:
What is compelling to me is the difference in language between coercing her to get and send him a video as the only way for her to be rescued and not sent back, and his comments about running and telling a friend, "hope for the best".

He was very, very intent on getting that video. He is not a stupid man. He had 911 at his fingertips.

Something about his cadence and conversation reminds me SLIGHTLY of that chick who encouraged her boyfriend to commit suicide. Oh there were times that she told him to get help but the manipulative effort was really toward suicide.

And caveat, I know these are two very different cases.

As to the 2:00 p.m. hearing, I see no reason for him not to be released. He does not have a criminal record, does not appear to be a flight risk and I do agree with the defense as to their argument that the conduct here, while being classified as a crime of violence, doesn't fit the parameters.

I agree. IMO, the conversation felt manipulative, cold and dismissive even with a focused goal of getting the rape tape.
We will see what the prosecution brings to the table and the release of additional information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288