AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new to this case, but I have been researching it a lot in the last 3 days. Just curious what was Gramma doing? I don't see any interviews with her and not much mention of her on the media clips I watch. Wasn't Gramma looking for her as well?? It is odd she is the common link between Rose and SW......(other than CW)
Has anyone ever thought Gramma was involved in SW disappearance? Being she was in that trailer when SW went missing what exactly was she doing?

I really do not think for a moment that grandma has anything at all to do with Summer's disappearance. CW had literally just walked away from G-ma's trailer when she realized that Summer was missing.

The fact that Grandma has 2 family members unaccounted for is sad, tragic and she has been through a lot.

AMOO MOO JMO

Black bears aren’t more dangerous than other bears. Grizzlies are more aggressive. Black bears usually just want to get away from people, they don’t attack unless provoked or are protecting their young.

There are so many mistruths in this case, we don’t need to spread false info about bears too.

Thank you, ClaireNC! You are absolutely correct. I believe any previous warnings about bears in the area were likely related to leaving trash and food out. It's very common in the area (and especially in the Spring and Summer) for local forest and public authorities to put out warnings related to increased black bear activity. They are NOT aggressive, just happen to love an easy meal in the form of garbage or scraps.
There are a lot of them around, but I highly doubt a black bear is responsible for Summer's disappearance.

Full truth, I would have expected a much higher trafficking number in West Tennessee. Memphis is a major crossroad with arterial interstates in all four directions.
I totally agree. Same with East TN. Sadly, these are stats from one particular operation. Since there may be multiple, ongoing operations being conducted at all times...I would suspect the actual # is proportionally higher. :(

There aren't just bears.

They (people who keep up with what the bears are doing) warned about the bears a few months before SW went missing. I don't live in bear territory, so i don't remember the specifics. But, usually they don't extra warn about the bears.

There are other animals. We have coyotes now, somehow. There are mountain lions (they say there aren't any since 100 years, i don't believe this).

I think they looked closely for evidence of an animal attack..so, i guess it would have to be an animal that didn't leave evidence.

I did mention animals in a post. Although I didn't know black bears were so dangerous (i know all bears are dangerous, obviously, i mean more dangerous than another bear). Hmmm... I have only observed them from a moving car. They're cute from a distance and when you're moving faster than they possibly can run.

In the early 00s the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission insisted there were no mountain lions in the Quachita's despite a number of large predator attacks on family pets on the outskirts of Hot Springs. And then someone recorded this massive mountain lion wandering across his backyard.

If they are back here, they're back there.

The online Demo-zette Archives don't go back that far, but somehow it's still on an Angelfire site.

Don Scott of Little Rock often spots deer, coyotes, raccoons, foxes, bobcats and buzzards while in the woods of Arkansas but had never spied a big cat.

At least not until two weeks ago, when a camera triggered by a heat sensor Scott had set up near the Winona Wildlife Management Area snapped a shot of a lithe, golden mountain lion creeping through the forest.

"I’ve been hunting all my life and I’m 65," Scott said. "This is the first time I’ve ever come across a mountain lion."

And that’s no surprise, considering the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission says the state’s wild mountain lion population was wiped out by the 1920s after pioneers slaughtered them and decimated the white-tailed deer the cats relied on for food.

In 2001, the Game and Fish Commission took mountain lions off the state’s endangered species list and officially adopted the policy that there are no wild mountain lions in Arkansas. It’s the only state to have done so.

"We determined all of our native panthers were gone from the state," Game and Fish biologist Blake Sasse said. "We haven’t come across any in Arkansas that we can’t trace back to a pet animal that’s escaped or intentionally been released."

More than 100 mountain lions — also called cougars, pumas or Florida panthers — live in captivity in Arkansas. While the state doesn’t have a law regulating ownership of exotic animals, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires owners to hold a livestock permit.

"In the last five years we know of at least eight mountain lions that escaped or were released, but all of those were either killed or recaptured," Sasse said.

But is it possible that wild mountain lions are re-establishing themselves in Arkansas forests?

"I wouldn’t rule anything out," Sasse said. "There’s a known mountain lion population in southern Texas, and they can travel long distances."

Plenty of people suspect the big cats may very well be moving back to the Natural State.

People living near the Hot Springs Country Club reported seeing or hearing cougars this winter and spring, and some blamed the cats for attacks on pet dogs.

And just this month, a Missouri motorist hit a 105-pound male mountain lion on a Jefferson City highway about 150 miles north of the Arkansas-Missouri border. The animals can weigh from 80 to 230 pounds and range from 5 to 8 feet in length.

Many biologists suspect wild mountain lions may be migrating eastward from South Dakota, Colorado and Texas. Male mountain lions have been known to travel hundreds of miles to stake out their own territory.

But even if wild mountain lions are here, Sasse said there probably aren’t many of them.

"If we had a large number we’d see them showing up hit by cars on the road or we’d have people shooting them."

Scott’s camera caught the image of a mountain lion on private land near the Winona Wildlife Management Area west of Little Rock. He uses the camera to track deer in preparation for hunting season. The picture of the mountain lion was taken sometime between Aug. 6 and Aug. 13. The camera also captured the images of several deer during that time period.

Dr. Gary Heidt, a wildlife biologist and chairman of the biology department at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, said he’s not sure whether mountain lions spotted in the state are animals that escaped captivity or their offspring, or if they’re immigrants from Western states.

"Until we finally get one and can run some DNA tests on it we won’t know for sure," he said.

Regardless of where they came from, it’s important to study these animals, Heidt said.

"If they’re captive animals or if they’re wild animals, if they’re in the state they’re part of our fauna."

While some would welcome mountain lions back to their home habitat, others have no interest in re-establishing the big cats on Arkansas soil.

Arkansas officials told the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service last fall they want no part of a plan to expand the Florida panther population into wild areas of the Ozark and Ouachita mountains. Arkansas was the only southeastern state being considered for the relocation program that refused to join.

Public reaction is one reason. Wildlife experts said they would expect lots of opposition to a cougar relocation program for fear of danger to livestock, pets and people. Arkansans already complain about bears and alligators, and state officials say they would expect more nuisance calls if the mountain lion population increased.

However, mountain lions may be on their way to Arkansas whether state officials like it or not.

But until hard evidence is found, experts shy away from declaring Arkansas home to wild mountain lions.

Scott will lead Heidt and biologists from the Game and Fish Commission to the spot where the picture was taken sometime in the next few days to look for evidence of a big cat.

Asked about the image captured by his camera, Scott said Friday he was surprised as anyone.

"I didn’t know what to think," he said. "I really didn’t expect to get a picture of one there."

This story was published Saturday, August 23, 2003

Camera snaps mountain lion photo
Image captured west of LR near wildlife refuge

BY AUSTIN GELDER
August 23, 2003

Click for full photo

More recently: PHOTO: Agency confirms mountain lion spotted in Arkansas

Thank you, ClaireNC! You are absolutely correct. I believe any previous warnings about bears in the area were likely related to leaving trash and food out. It's very common in the area (and especially in the Spring and Summer) for local forest and public authorities to put out warnings related to increased black bear activity. They are NOT aggressive, just happen to love an easy meal in the form of garbage or scraps.
There are a lot of them around, but I highly doubt a black bear is responsible for Summer's disappearance.
No, this was not a warning like that.

It was something unusual... They were outside their usual areas or there were more of them or something. I will try to find the warning if i can.

Let me rephrase on the black bears, they are statistically the most likely bear to attack a human or pet. They love an easy meal so they end up around people and dogs. Polar and grizzly are considered more deadly, obviously. I am only mildly concerned about the super-bear hybrid of Polar Grizzly (Pozzly? Grizzlar?) being created by the polar bear habitat loss.

Not the best source, but it's got more than one kind of bear for comparison or doesn't focus entirely on fatalities. 32 Bear Attack Statistics & Facts (2021 Update)
More bear stuff
Bear Attack Statistics of North America – BatchGeo Blog

I doubt a bear carried her off, there was plenty of easier snackage in June in the Appalachians. Just another factor of the terrain. Also, I think they would have found physical evidence of a bear during initial searches.

Let me rephrase on the black bears, they are statistically the most likely bear to attack a human or pet. They love an easy meal so they end up around people and dogs. Polar and grizzly are considered more deadly, obviously. I am only mildly concerned about the super-bear hybrid of Polar Grizzly (Pozzly? Grizzlar?) being created by the polar bear habitat loss.

Not the best source, but it's got more than one kind of bear for comparison or doesn't focus entirely on fatalities. 32 Bear Attack Statistics & Facts (2021 Update)
More bear stuff
Bear Attack Statistics of North America – BatchGeo Blog

I doubt a bear carried her off, there was plenty of easier snackage in June in the Appalachians. Just another factor of the terrain. Also, I think they would have found physical evidence of a bear during initial searches.

When we were vacationing in Alaska a few years ago, some of the locals told us they were "pizzlies." Because they're pizzed off all the time. Apparently they're more aggressive and worse tempered than either of the parent species. Not that polar bears are exactly friendly.

I can't imagine any bear (or other predator, for that matter) killing a child without leaving a trace. Even if a bear or mountain lion dragged her off, there'd be a trail.

Happy New Year, all.
I was wondering if someone could help me locate the link to a statement Lawson made about the red truck with the ladder rack/buckets and specifically, the individual who witnessed the red truck as being known to LE? I know I posted it, but I'm having a hard time locating it in the threads. TIA!

ETA- never mind, ya'll found it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Happy New Year, all.
I was wondering if someone could help me locate the link to a statement Lawson made about the red truck with the ladder rack/buckets and specifically, the individual who witnessed the red truck as being known to LE? I know I posted it, but I'm having a hard time locating it in the threads. TIA!
This is as close as I could come...
Summer Wells: Despite social media claims, truck driven by potential witness still not found, TBI says

Amateur opinion and speculation

Thanks, rosesfromangels I finally found it: 5-months-later-hawkins-co-sheriff-says-search-for-summer-wells-continues-but-no-signs-point-to-abduction

I had wanted to see again what he had said about the witness to the truck with ladder rack, driving a company truck.

I wish LE would state where the vehicle in question actually was. Beech Creek, Ben Hill, pulled over, traveling (and if so, in what direction?) that sort of thing. I fully understand why they would not release this sort of sensitive info, nor am I trying to 'out' the witness at all- they have clearly given the most valuable tip LE has so far.
I was just thinking that might potentially give us some further ideas to work with. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, rosesfromangels I finally found it: 5-months-later-hawkins-co-sheriff-says-search-for-summer-wells-continues-but-no-signs-point-to-abduction

I had wanted to see again what he had said about the witness to the truck with ladder rack, driving a company truck.

I wish LE would state where the vehicle in question actually was. Beech Creek, Ben Hill, pulled over, traveling (and if so, in what direction?) that sort of thing. I fully understand why they would not release this sort of sensitive info, nor am I trying to 'out' the witness at all- they have clearly given the most valuable tip LE has so far.
I was just thinking that might potentially give us some further ideas to work with. Thanks for your help.
Interesting. I hadn't seen this before. Despite this info, they are still stating "no signs point to abduction", which if we look at statistics and the terrain...makes sense. But then again, what about this case makes sense?

That being said, if we stripped all the "noise" out of this case, what do we really have/know? That's what I have been focused on. There's been a LOT of noise, that is for sure.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member