TN TN - Tabitha Tuders, 13, Nashville, 29 Apr 2003

State ups Tuders reward
By Skip Cauthorn, scauthorn@nashvillecitypaper.com
September 30, 2003

The state has upped the reward for leads in the disappearance of 13-year-old Tabitha Tuders by pitching in $10,000 for information leading to the conviction of any persons involved.

The total reward, combined with local funds, has now approached the $16,000 mark.

Tuders, a Bailey Middle School student, disappeared April 29 from her East Nashville home on Lillian Street. Tuders was last seen 7 a.m. April 29 when her father, Irvin Tuders, woke her for school.

Police were called 10 hours later when the family was concerned because their daughter hadn’t returned home from Bailey Middle School. It was later discovered that Tabitha failed to board the bus at 14th & Boscobel streets shortly after 8 a.m. that day.

Acting Metro Police Chief Deborah Faulkner along with District Attorney Torry Johnson made the request for state money last week of Gov. Phil Bredesen. In his capacity under state law, Bredesen announced the addition to the reward Monday.

“The city through the attorney general has requested this and the mayor and I have talked about it several times and it’s just good to step in and I’m hoping this might jog someone to say something about the case to help to break this thing open,” said Bredesen Monday.

The investigation of the case, according to Metro Police spokesperson Don Aaron, has made little progress in the past few weeks. But the additional reward money helps in such cases in raising awareness among the general public, he said.

“We’re hoping this will re-focus [on] Tabitha Tuders’ disappearance and cause Nashvillians to reflect on whether they know anything about the case,” said Aaron. … “We have pursued numerous leads in the case. Unfortunately, many of the leads we’ve worked on in the past couple of weeks have failed.”

Tuders’ disappearance did not qualify for the Amber Alert system, which uses networking across the nation to raise awareness of missing children, because there were no signs of abduction and police and family didn’t know the child was missing for 10 hours.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has faxed Tabitha’s missing child poster out to thousands of fax machines.

Police say there is no evidence that the child packed any clothes or planned to leave.

Mayor Bill Purcell expressed hope that the additional reward money could benefit the investigation.

“Like any other state reward, it’s not done frequently but when it’s done it’s the kind of thing that can make a critical difference in encouraging people to come forward,” said Purcell. “Everyone’s focused on this and the hope is this will make the public focus even a little bit more than they have so far.”

Metro has faced public scrutiny recently in its handling of the case. Purcell said everything possible is being done in the search.

“Obviously these are things that … law enforcement should be in charge of,” said Purcell. “I’m satisfied that each level of government - the [Tennessee Bureau of Investigation], the [Federal Bureau of Investigation] and our local police department - have focused all the resources they believe required on this. Their collaboration, their cooperation has been seamless. … They’re putting the resources in this that are necessary.”

Anyone with information that may assist in the Tuders investigation should contact Metro Police Department’s Youth Services Division at 862-7417.

A 42-year-old man faces burglary charges after being accused of sneaking into a church and stealing pictures of children who attend its day-care center.

Police said the motive for the theft wasn't clear yesterday.

Metro Burglary detectives arrested Mark S. Bedwell on Tuesday night, accusing him of stealing from the Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3900 West End Ave.

Police said Bedwell sneaked into the church about 4 a.m. Oct. 3 and stole pictures of children that were inside classrooms in the church's day-care area. The photos were of children in a day-care program at the church.

Police said the suspect was identified from a videotape from a church security camera.

Bedwell was charged with one count of burglary and was being held in Metro Jail last night in lieu of $10,000 bail.

Detectives were asking the public to contact them if anyone recognized Bedwell in connection with other crimes, especially in the West End area. They also are asking anyone who has had pictures of young children stolen in a break-in to call the Burglary Division at 862-7572 or Crime Stoppers at 74-CRIME

http://www.police.nashville.org/news/media/2003/october/10082003.htm

Metro police say more charges may be on the way for a homeless man arrested earlier this week.

Mark Bedwell was charged with the burglary of a church on West End Avenue. Detectives found pictures of small children taken from the church in his tent near the church.

Friday, police said Bedwell, who's a registered sex offender in other states, could face additional charges for burglarizing other churches.

The arrest highlighted a growing trend in that part of town. Homeless people have migrated from downtown to the West End area.

Officials blame the re-location to increased crack-downs by police on the homeless downtown

News Briefly

Bredesen helps in Tuders case

On behalf of the state, the governor has anted up $10,000 in reward money to assist in the case of Tabitha Tuders, the East Nashville youngster who mysteriously disappeared five months ago. Only weeks earlier, Mayor Bill Purcell had been cool to the idea of boosting the paltry reward sum of $10,000 already being offered by public and private means. "The mayor talked to the police chief, who did not think that the additional reward money is necessary," Purcell's deputy mayor, Bill Phillips, told the Scene then. The state's contribution brings the total reward money for information about Tuders' whereabouts to $20,000.

Fund for dropped dogs swells to $10,000

_____Today's Top Stories_____

• Lawrence Cherokees seeking American Indian nation status
• Equalizing teacher pay won't pinch rich districts
• Dickson residents scold officials over fouled wells
• Subpoenaed education records turned in
• Plateau is height of Midstate leaf display this year
• Allegation of Titans favoritism may be dividing police officers

E-Mail This Article

Printer-Friendly (text only)

Subscribe to The Tennessean

By HOLLY EDWARDS
Staff Writer

As community donations to a reward fund to catch the person who tossed four dogs off an interstate overpass Monday grew to almost $10,000, the Berry Hill police chief said yesterday he has never seen this much interest in a violent act against a human being.

Chief Robert *******, a dog lover, called the incident ''a terrible thing'' but said people should remember that terrible things are happening to people, as well.

''We had a gentleman murdered three or four nights ago, and no one called in wanting to donate to a reward fund,'' ******* said. ''If someone had thrown four people off the bridge, I'm not sure we would have gotten this much of a response.''

Meanwhile, Berry Hill police followed several leads — some unsuccessfully — in their search for the perpetrator.

Police said someone threw the animals one by one off the 53-foot-tall bridge at the Interstate 440/65 interchange Monday morning. Two dogs, a male chow and a pregnant Labrador retriever, were dead at the scene.

The other two dogs survived the fall. The most seriously injured dog, a Belgian shepherd that suffered cuts and broken bones, was taken to a veterinarian for treatment yesterday and then returned to the Metro animal shelter. That dog had been labeled a German shepherd the day before in an apparent mix-up. The other dog, a hound mix, was not seriously injured.

A Lebanon woman who said the Belgian shepherd was stolen from her home more than a year ago is expected to take the dog's litter mate to the shelter today for a DNA test to determine whether she is in fact the owner, said Judy Ladebauche, Metro Animal Services Director.

The department is using donations that have come in for the dogs' veterinarian bills to pay the $45 cost of the test, she said, adding that the results should be available in a few days.

The dog needs bone fusion surgery on its injured leg, which will cost about $1,000, but Metro Animal Services cannot cover that expense, Ladebauche said.

Calls continued to pour into the Berry Hill police station and the Metro animal shelter yesterday from concerned residents who wanted to help the dogs and contribute to a reward fund to help catch the perpetrator.

The Billy Breeze and Marco in the Morning radio show on 102.5 The Party spearheaded the raising of almost $10,000 from various sources for the reward fund as of late yesterday afternoon. The disc jockeys chipped in $1,500 of their own money, and the Humane Society of the United States announced it had contributed $2,500 to the fund. The radio station also received a $2,500 donation from Loews Vanderbilt Hotel.

Last night Berry Hill Police questioned the owner of a Lincoln automobile seen near the overpass Monday morning after a Metro police sergeant spotted the vehicle last night in west Nashville.

Metro Sgt. James Hamlet said he saw the woman near her west Nashville home and followed her into her driveway. He summoned Berry Hill police immediately.

Hamlet said a Berry Hill officer questioned the woman but did not arrest her. He also said the officer told him that she was only a person of interest, not a suspect.

******* had said earlier that the car's owner was ''the only lead we've got, so if this doesn't pan out, that's it.''

The person who pushed the dogs could face up to four years in prison if convicted of four counts of aggravated animal cruelty, which is a misdemeanor in Tennessee unless the person has a prior conviction for the offense, said David Raybin, a local attorney who has worked with animal rights groups.

If a person has a prior conviction for aggravated animal cruelty, the charges are classified as Class E felonies, which carry sentences ranging anywhere from not less than one year to up to six years in prison

Case of girl missing four months leaves parents, police frustrated FEATURED ADVERTISER:

Methodist Medical Center

A Higher Standard of Healthcare

[ view complete ad ]

By: Russ Oates
Associated Press

NASHVILLE - For three days this summer, the neighborhood surrounding 1312 Lillian St. resembled a war zone - dozens of camouflaged men trekked through yards, alleys and homes while a helicopter whirled above.
It wasn't combat but instead a search for any sign of Tabitha Tuders, a missing 13-year-old girl.

Tabitha's parents, Bo and Debra appreciated the July effort by Nashville police - but they wished it had come when their daughter vanished April 29 instead of 11 weeks later.

"They should've done it when she come up missing," said Bo Tuders, sitting in an easy chair at home as the search concluded July 18.

The Tuders don't deny that the police responded when they reported the seventh-grader was missing the afternoon she failed to show up for classes at Bailey Middle School.

In Bo's estimation, about 50 or so officers searched their working class neighborhood that night.

But the nearly four months without their daughter has given the couple much time to wonder what might have happened had police approached the case differently.

The Tuders, whom police have cleared as suspects, always suspected someone snatched Tabitha and that she wasn't - as police first thought - a runaway. The department didn't issue an Amber Alert - a plan to galvanize the community to look for an endangered child - because they said Tabitha's disappearance did not fit the criteria.

A police statement preceding the July operation marked the department's shift in thinking, "The focus of the investigation is leaning more toward the potential involvement of foul play." Last week, authorities labeled a man arrested on charges of trying to abduct an 11-year-old Nashville girl as a "person of interest" in Tabitha's disappearance. But police also said they had uncovered no evidence linking the man, Martin Tim Boyd, 32, and the missing girl.

Debra Tuders said police were told by family and friends that Tabitha showed none of the signs of a troubled teen, like personality changes. "She was the same person up until the day she left," the mother said.

The parents tick off the things their daughter was excited about: participating in an event with her friends to raise money for arthritis research, new bedroom furniture and the A's on her last report card.

Authorities also have found no indication Tabitha ran away.

"All we know for sure is we have a missing child," said Deborah Faulkner, Nashville's acting police chief.

Faulkner defends her department's actions and early skepticism about foul play, saying authorities had little to go on at first.

"It took about three days to nail down with the family what she had on when she was missing," Faulkner said.

The photos of Tabitha first supplied to police were a year old, not good enough when searching for a maturing 13-year-old, Faulkner said. A family friend found more recent photos on film developed about two months after Tabitha went missing, she said.

Police also weren't notified about Tabitha's disappearance until about 11 hours after Bo Tuders last saw her.

The Tuders family routine was normal April 29. Debra went to work at the Tom Joy Elementary School cafeteria, and Bo awakened Tabitha shortly before leaving for his job as a short-haul truck driver.

As always, his daughter told him she was awake and to turn the television to her favorite program, he recalled. She was supposed to get dressed and catch the bus for school.

"I went out the door to go to work and that's the last time I saw her," he said.

When Tabitha didn't come home that night, her concerned parents drove to the school, where a teacher said their daughter was absent that day. The Tuders called police.

The July police operation was a methodical grid search with officers and police dogs of the Tuders' neighborhood, including nearby Shelby Park and the Cumberland River. Police established their command post in the parking lot of the nearby Tennessee Titans stadium.

Police have questioned all sex offenders living in the area and reviewed every field report from the days leading up to Tabitha's disappearance, Faulkner said. When Tabitha's classmates returned to school last week, they got a letter from police asking for any help in solving the case.

"Every resource I can garner I've put on this," Faulkner said.

Yet some look at history and wonder if police would have responded differently had Tabitha lived in a more affluent part of Nashville.

When 9-year-old girl Marcia Trimble disappeared in 1975 while selling Girl Scout cookies in her well-to-do neighborhood, police immediately suspected an accident or a crime. After 33 days of searching, authorities found her body in a neighbor's garage. The murder remains unsolved on the minds of many Nashvillians.

Marcia's mother, Virginia, and Debra Tuders recently met, two women bonded by missing daughters despite differences in class.

Faulkner says the department wasn't influenced by where the Tuders live or work.

"People see her as one of our children," she said.

Gary Gardiner, who is Tabitha's case manager at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Alexandria, Va., said the Nashville police response is not unusual for a missing child.

Publicity about Tabitha's case has come from Gardiner's organization, the national television show "America's Most Wanted" and most recently a billboard with the girl's photo along busy Interstate 24 near her home. Still there are no helpful tips, Faulkner said.

"This is the damnedest thing I've ever seen. It's like every day we get up and hit a wall," the chief said

Johnny... I saw Newschannel 5's coverage of the candlelight vigil last night..

Today is the 6 month anniversey of her abuction ( I believe she was abucted) I wish if any one that watches the news ,and knows anything about Tabitha, and what happened to her, or where she may be.,would just come forward..

Six months.. the family needs some closure ,and I pray Tabitha is still alive ,and comes home alive!

Johnny let the family know Annie from Ky. , still have them in her prayers!!!!

I've read all the posts in this forum, and there are some glaring errors on the part of the school and the police department.
1. All schools throughout the USA should be calling parents within the first hour of school when a child doesn't show up. Money is tight for most districts, but what about using volunteers? If volunteer parents came into the school on a rotating basis they could call a parent for every absent student. If a parent had sent a child to school that morning, and the boy or girl wasn't there, many precious hours would be saved on notifying the authorities.
2. Police departments must stop treating the disappearances of adolescents as runaways, especially when parents and friends describe the child as one who wouldn't go off on his or her own. Look at the time wasted when the police should've been out looking for Tabitha. The best trail is a warm one, not trying to recreate an abduction two months later. The same goes for filing an Amber Alert- why wait when a child's life might possibly be in danger?
3. Have any of the suspects been given lie detector tests? I know they aren't admissible in court, but it seems to me that someone is being overlooked.

Gilmore puts kids in proper priority
TO THE EDITOR:

In his article "Gilmore proposes program" (Oct. 16, p. 4) Craig Boerner wrote about Metro Councilmember Brenda Gilmore's proposed initiative to send police officers to Nashville neighborhoods to protect school children as they walk to and from schools and bus stops.

This seems a logical request given the increase in the number of heinous crimes against children that have been reported by news outlets all over the country recently. Since the disappearance of Tabitha Tuders in April, Nashville parents have been anxious about preventing crimes against our children.

All praises are due to Gilmore. I hope she continues to keep representing us as if we're in a war, because this is indeed a battleground. The enemies are those who want to defile, degrade and cripple our children. I'd like to thank Gilmore for fighting to give Nashville's children the protection they need to survive and thrive. I appreciate her foresight and concern. I hope she enjoys a long career in politics. We desperately need people like her to speak for us.
ALICIA BENJAMIN-SAMUELS

Johnny, do you know if the Tuders have gotten my cards? Thanks.

No bother to ask them.. they have enough to think on.. just want them to know I CARE ,and Im not giving up faith that Tabitha will come home.. she looks so much like my niece it breaks my heart!

My heart aches for them ...Please God help Tabitha find her way back to her family!

I spoke with Debra just moments ago and she has received your cards and wants to thank you for your words of encouragement and prayers.

October 31, 2003

People who live in the Hillsboro neighborhood are keeping a watchful eye on their kids.

Around 8am Wednesday, a ten-year-old girl was waiting at the corner of Rosewood and Hawthorne for her school bus. She saw a truck come down a hill and noticed the driver was staring at her. She didn't think much about it until she saw him turn around.

“I was feeling weird so I was thinking maybe I should go home, but he was getting closer. I didn't want to run out in the middle of the car so I stayed there,” said the 10-year-old girl.

Then the car reached this stop sign and the driver said something to her.

“He said ‘Hey Honey, wanna slide something, something’ and I didn't hear the rest and then he went back up the hill he came down the first time,” she said.

Then the child ran home because she was frightened the driver would come back again.

Her mother didn't hesitate. She and other relatives immediately started circling the neighborhood in search of the man.

“I started walking around the block, and I was just thinking she could have been gone just like that,” said Mechelle Titi, Girl's Mother.

Titi is just glad her daughter followed her instincts and got away quickly. She doesn't doubt how badly her child was scared. She says the little girl arrived home looking like she'd seen a ghost.

“I felt like he would have done something. I really do. I'm not just guessing. I just have this feeling that he would have grabbed her,” said Titi.

That's just what Metro police intend to find out. They say they get eight to ten similar reports every year and take each one seriously.

“We like to be very scrupulous and look at these reports and try to compare them to other reports. And as I said, develop and see if there are any trends. If we have somebody who is doing this over and over again, we're gonna put every effort into those folks and finding out what their motives are,” said Det. Eddie Moran, Metro Police.

Detective Moran says the report on this case should be processed by Monday and given to an investigator who tracks these types of incidents. He will check to see if any reports have come in with similar descriptions.

The girl described the vehicle as a newer model shiny dark blue truck. The man inside the truck had a mustache, black or brown hair and looked to be in his 40's or 50's.

(This vehicle and man fits the description of a person of interest in the Tabitha Case)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back