TN- The Lillelid Murders, Greene County, April 6, 1997

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by wendybtn, Apr 6, 2017.

1. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

http://www.greenevillesun.com/news/...cle_923a20e8-59ac-532a-b660-9d56e250aa42.html

A particularly heinous murder of a young family that captured worldwide attention at the time, happened here in Greeneville. Twenty years ago today.
    In the ensuing years since trials and punishments were handed down, alll of the six convicted murderers have asked for sentence reductions. The youngest defendant, 14 at the time of the crime, had his sentence reduced to 51 years. Currently, Karen Howell has an upcoming hearing on a request for sentence reduction. She was 17 in 1997.
    I was not sure which forum to post this in but I believe the Lillelids deserve to be remembered on websleuths.

2. Loading...

3. wendybtn

4. wendybtn

5. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

This is so horrible I stopped reading.

I hope they keep them locked up and throw the key far, far away.

6. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

I knew and grew up with Jason's family. His dad committed suicide. I am so thankful to this Judge!

A judge denied a motion to reopen sentencing for a defendant in a 20-year-old triple slaying in East Tennessee.

Media report Greene County Criminal Court Judge Alex Pearson rejected the motion from attorneys for Karen Howell, who was 17 when she pleaded guilty in 1998 to the roadside slayings of a mother, father and daughter in East Tennessee. She was sentenced to life without parole.

Howell's attorneys cited recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions dealing with juvenile sentences in a motion asking for her sentence to be reconsidered.

http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Ju...tencing-in-1997-triple-slaying-420127283.html

7. Tulessa

Thank you for starting this thread. Jason Bryant was the 14 year old. His dad, a good man, committed suicide. :(

8. SouthernCutie

SouthernCutie Member

Lived here my whole life and never heard of this.
    I'm going to dig into it tonight when the little one goes to bed.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

9. Tulessa

Just be prepared....

10. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Bill to grant parole for killer kids stalls in Tennessee House in shadow of Lillelid murders (with clip)

March 17, 2018

"A bill that would have given a chance at parole to teenagers convicted of murder — including two of the killers of East Tennessee's Lillelid family — could be done for the year in the state House.

The bill, sponsored by state Rep. Raumesh Akbari, D-Memphis, wouldn't have guaranteed parole in such cases. But it would have made parole hearings automatic after 30 years for any juvenile defendant tried as an adult and sentenced to life in prison — even in sentences of life without parole....

The long shadow of the Lillelid case

Armstrong's district includes Greene County, where teenagers Karen Renee Howell and Jason Blake Bryant pleaded guilty 20 years ago to helping gun down a family of four on the side of a country road and leaving them for dead. Both remain in prison, sentenced to life without parole.

"Under this bill, they could be out in another 10 years," Armstrong said...."

http://ux.tennessean.com/story/news...ssee-house-shadow-lillelid-murders/432337002/
    ---

The Lillelid Killers, A Closer Look

"THIS DOCUMENTARY AIRED IN 1998. IT EXPLORES HOW DOES A GROUP OF BORED TEENAGERS IN A SMALL TOWN BECAME A GROUP OF KILLERS."

[video=youtube;3qDOVre8Jc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qDOVre8Jc8[/video]
    ---

[​IMG]
    Link: http://blogitude.com/uploads/1998/03/family1-mc2.jpg

(Vidar and Delfina Lillelid of Powell, Tenn., are shown in an undated family photo with their children, Tabitha and Peter. [Photo: Submitted by family])
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------