TN TN - Teresa 'Trenny' Lynn Gibson, 16, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 8 Oct 1976

Parents Robert and Hope Gibson alerted authorities about a past incident in which a young man had tried to break into their home. Hope Gibson shot him, and the young man later threatened to harm Trenny, the family reported. Knox County deputies looked into the incident, but it led to no revelations about the girl's whereabouts.
Appalachian Unsolved: Trenny Gibson, Lost in the Smokies

It feels much better to imagine she planned to leave her life as it was up til then, but who does that as a sophomore in high school unless they were needing to escape something? Unresolved stories like this are so haunting. I cannot imagine what it is like for those who know and love those who are missing. Heartbreaking.

Gibson disappeared on Oct. 8, 1976, while on a field trip with Bearden High School. The 16-year-old and her classmates were hiking near Andrews Bald and Clingmans Dome. No one on the trip remembered seeing her after 3 p.m. that afternoon.
On Oct. 8, 1976, the 16-year-old Gibson, a sophomore, and about 40 other Bearden High School students were in the park on a horticulture field trip. The students were hiking from the parking area just below Clingmans Dome to Andrews Bald when Gibson was last seen hiking toward the parking lot. It was reported that there were groups of students both in front and behind Gibson when she was last seen. The search for Gibson lasted several months before it was officially called off. In 1982 Bob Gibson, the girl's father, told the News Sentinel he believed his daughter had been abducted and taken out of the park.
Lost in the Great Smokies: Mystery surrounds disappearances over the past 40 years

I have nothing new to offer, just wanted to say that I have long been intrigued by the various geographic areas that seem to collect a lot of mysterious disappearances, such as the Smoky Mountains or the Bennington VT triangle.

The area where Trenny disappeared - was there a lot of underbrush on the hill on the side of the trail where she may have fallen, gotten knocked out by a rock maybe, and disappeared from sight that way?

A few months ago I read about an underbrush problem in the Smokies and got to thinking, what if someone fell off a trail and went missing - they might never be found that way.

Also - and I don't know if the Smokies receive controlled burns to keep underbrush under control (like they do here in Florida) - what are the chances a decedent might be found?

The area where Trenny disappeared - was there a lot of underbrush on the hill on the side of the trail where she may have fallen, gotten knocked out by a rock maybe, and disappeared from sight that way?

A few months ago I read about an underbrush problem in the Smokies and got to thinking, what if someone fell off a trail and went missing - they might never be found that way.

Also - and I don't know if the Smokies receive controlled burns to keep underbrush under control (like they do here in Florida) - what are the chances a decedent might be found?
All good points, but Trenny has a reason for stepping off of the trail in the location that she did. Likely someone waved or beckoned to her, so she stepped off and went to them. Trenny was inexperienced in the woods, I think she would have stuck closely to the trail, unless she saw a friendly face.
Long story short, she was lured off of the trail.

Starbuck, just wanted to thank you for making the site for Trenny. I always yearned to know more details about her case, and I've been reading your site for a few months now, as well as seeing your screen name other places on the web.

I have the book "Unsolved Appearances in the Smokey Mountains" and the excerpt that Trenny's mom wrote was beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. I'm curious, is the account in the book accurate?

Are you in any contact with Trenny's family? Do they have their own theories? In your opinion do you believe this case will ever be solved?

Starbuck, just wanted to thank you for making the site for Trenny. I always yearned to know more details about her case, and I've been reading your site for a few months now, as well as seeing your screen name other places on the web.

I have the book "Unsolved Appearances in the Smokey Mountains" and the excerpt that Trenny's mom wrote was beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. I'm curious, is the account in the book accurate?

Are you in any contact with Trenny's family? Do they have their own theories? In your opinion do you believe this case will ever be solved?

Yes, to answer your questions, the account is mostly accurate, but a lot of Trenny’s case has become almost folklore over the years. The book kind of just scratches the surface. When I first began this journey, it was the only book that contained anything about what happened to Trenny. The internet had virtually nothing, but a case profile on the DOE Network.

Yes, the Gibson family is in touch with me and have been a great help along the way with providing information and answering questions. Luckily for them, they have a strong faith that has helped sustain them, or I don’t think they could have survived such a heartbreaking thing. Trenny was the centre of their family.

Our theories as to what happened are very similar, although I’m always open to hearing other thoughts or opinions as to what could have happened that October day, 43 years ago.

In my opinion, yes, the case is solvable. The biggest issue is that the perpetrator(s) think they have it made because they are confident that Trenny’s remains will never be found. One of the suspects could never account for his whereabouts, when Trenny left his company to hike back to the bus, and had an assistant DA in Knoxville for a father. Some classmates of hers, hold to the runaway theory, claiming she had trouble at home, but can’t further explain it or
crack under questioning. After she disappeared, her comb was found in a student’s car, and another student had some of her jewelry. Trenny was very particularly about things, especially her belongings. If she wanted to give them away, she would have given them to her sister. There were also a lot of threats in the air, the atmosphere was heavy, “keep quiet or the same will happen to you” kind of talk. If Trenny just had enough and ran away, after leaving all money, identification, and clothing at home, then walking for nearly three hours in unfamiliar territory, what were all the threats about? I believe someone out there has one hell of a story to tell, perhaps someday they will surface and tell the right people.

My goal until that day forward is to bring awareness to Trenny’s story and ensure that she is not forgotten or lost to time. I also want to encourage folks that visit the site, to stop and think. Things are not always as they seem, do not believe everything that people tell you, accept it as the gospel, etc. And just because something has been the acceptable truth for more than 40 years, does not mean it is true.

Name: Teresa "Trenny" Gibson

Missing from: Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Date Missing: October 8, 1976

Description: Gibson was 16 years old when she went missing. White female, 5'03" tall, 115 pounds, brown eyes, brown hair. Last seen wearing a brown plaid jacket, a blue-and-white striped sweater, blue jeans, and blue Adidas shoes.

Case Info: Gibson was last seen hiking with a high school group from Knoxville, Tennessee. She disappeared as the group hiked back from Andrew's Bald Trail to the Clingmans Dome parking area.

Cold Cases - Investigative Services (U.S. National Park Service)

MP_Gibson.jpg

How about this.

She felt the need to go to the washroom. Because of this, she wanted to be isolated from the group for a short time. She went off trail to relieve herself. She wanted to make sure she was well hidden to avoid the extreme embarrassment of being seen by her classmates while she peed. Some kind of slip or fall or animal attack, perhaps down a steep edge, occurred that was fatal. Her effort to hide herself prior to this mishap made her screams inaudible by anyone nearby and it also made her hard to find when the search got underway. Add in the falling leaves of October and animal activity and we've got a missing person in a tough hiding spot.

How about this.

She felt the need to go to the washroom. Because of this, she wanted to be isolated from the group for a short time. She went off trail to relieve herself. She wanted to make sure she was well hidden to avoid the extreme embarrassment of being seen by her classmates while she peed. Some kind of slip or fall or animal attack, perhaps down a steep edge, occurred that was fatal. Her effort to hide herself prior to this mishap made her screams inaudible by anyone nearby and it also made her hard to find when the search got underway. Add in the falling leaves of October and animal activity and we've got a missing person in a tough hiding spot.

This seems a likely scenario. It's also easy to miss the turn off on the trails leading back to the Dome visitor center and parking lot. There are several trails around the Dome area. The signage in that area is poor to non-existent and the exit trail hard to find. If someone misses it, they quickly find themselves on the Appalachian Trail going along a very high ridge with very steep sides.

It's very easy for hikers to get lost once they get off the trails around Clingman's Dome. The surrounding area is extremely rough and very steep, extremely dense vegetation, very difficult for searchers to navigate. Many people have gone missing in this area. Below is a recent case of a lost hiker whose body was eventually found. She was hiking on the Forney Trail, which exits to the parking lot for the Dome visitor center.

Autopsy reveals cause of death for woman who went missing in Great Smoky Mountains

There's a thread here for Mitzi Sue Clements that may be helpful in understanding what may have happened to Trenny, JMO. I'm guessing Trenny separated from her friends, possibly to take a pee or something. She may have gotten lost trying to get back on the trail. If she made her way back to the trail, she may have wandered off to look for her group, got onto the wrong trail and got lost. In October, it would be very cold at night and she probably succumbed to hypothermia, if she didn't die from a fall first.

IMO, this is a high risk area for amateur hikers who get off the trail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back