TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

Pepper spraying someone without cause…wouldn’t that be considered brutality?

MOO
It certainly could be if could not justify his use of it and if he can't be should be appropriately punished for that.

However
Pepper spraying someone overly aggressively or without lawful reason runs somewhere between:
Disciplinary action --- Firing --- Common Assault

Which, while a *advertiser censored* thing to do and if done out of malice should result in his sacking. You must agree is still very very far away from:
Beating a Man to Death --- Murder Charges

Particularly a murder that occured during a totally separate altercation which he had no knowledge of and was nor even in the area for.

I don't know, what kind of cop he is, but he backed up an arrest, he did not participate in murdering Tyre. He should answer for his own actions. I have no interest in punishing him for the conduct of others. The people who should take that blame is the man who killed Tyre and the superiors who fostered such a culture of violence that their behaviour was considered unremarkable up until they killed someone.

If more consequences — including charges — are coming for officers: Why more officers who were at the Nichols beating scene have not been disciplined or suspended is a key concern of City Council member Frank Colvett, he said Sunday. “I hope to know that … Monday morning,” he said.

As for more criminal counts, “we are going to need time to allow the investigation to go forward and further consideration of charges,” Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy told CNN on Sunday. It was “unprecedented” for indictment charges against the officers to come within just weeks, he noted.

• How Memphis’ police chief will fare: While some have praised Chief Cerelyn “CJ” Davis‘ swift action in the case, she also created the controversial SCORPION unit the charged officers were linked to. “There is a reckoning coming for the police department and for the leadership,” Colvett said. “She’s going to have to answer not just to the council but to the citizens — and really the world.”

• What happens to fire and sheriff’s personnel: Two Memphis Fire Department employees who were part of Nichols’ initial care were relieved of duty, pending the outcome of an internal investigation. And two deputies with the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office have been put on leave pending an investigation.

Hemphill deployed his Taser during the confrontation. In his own body camera video, Hemphill is seen chasing Nichols down the road, but then turns back to the scene of the initial traffic stop.
Hemphill was heard on his body camera video saying twice, "I hope they stomp his a--."
Hemphill, who is white, has not been fired or charged. Hemphill "was relieved when the other officers were relieved," a Memphis police spokesperson said.

^^ Mr & Mrs Wells seem like wonderful people and its my understanding that Tyre did not have any sort of arrest record, that also shows MOO that they did a great job raising this young man.
I have heard other parents in this situation call for burning the city to the ground, I totally respect these parents and their attorney on how they are handling a situation that would be near impossible to cope with.

^^ PREACH!

^^ This does not hold water IMO...no matter what they were told before they arrived about the situation they should have immediately began attending to the victim...

^^ Agreed

^^ I could not agree less on your take here (but thats fine) IMO when EMT arrives, on this scene or ANY other scene, they are to rush and immediately check on the individual they were called for, I dont care if that person only has a hangnail. EMT's are not there to "assume" anything, nor are they there to read how the officers are responding and if the officers are demonstrating a "relaxed atmosphere" as you say...nor should they be distracted by chatter (whatever that means).
Also how can you tell that Tyre wasn't bleeding and the swelling had not begun when they arrived? Are you seeing a different camera than me? Please link it..
All this is IMO and you care certainly entitled to yours
Did you read to the end? I said exactly what you are saying now. I was not providing an excuse for their actions, far from it, they were, as I said, clearly negligent by not checking on him immediately.

I was suggesting alternative psychological explanation to the one where 20 odd people all decide they're going to let a mortally injured man die by inches while they crack jokes into a camera. If they knew their behaviour makes no sense, even stone cold racist psychopaths don't want to loose their jobs and go to prison.

And I said he was not bleeding out, not that he didn't have blood on him, imo his injuries looked bad, but it would not necessarily be immediately obvious he was critically injured. Especially if it's assumed he's incoherence is from drugs, not a extremely violent beating they did not witness and don't know the half of.

An explanation is not an excuse. Deciding all these people must be absolute monsters and looking no deeper means you fix nothing.

I think some people are making this overly complicated. <modsnip> This really is a simple case of police brutality (horrific brutality) involving a young man who was driving, was pulled over, dragged out of his car and beaten to death. I believe these officers were <modsnip> in an angry nasty mood and poor Tyre was the target of their unbridled wrath and ugly violence.
Stupid question time. The officers have been drug tested, haven’t they? Not to excuse their behavior, <modsnip>.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you read to the end? I said exactly what you are saying now. I was not providing an excuse for their actions, far from it, they were, as I said, clearly negligent by not checking on him immediately.

I was suggesting alternative psychological explanation to the one where 20 odd people all decide they're going to let a mortally injured man die by inches while they crack jokes into a camera. If they knew their behaviour makes no sense, even stone cold racist psychopaths don't want to loose their jobs and go to prison.

And I said he was not bleeding out, not that he didn't have blood on him, imo his injuries looked bad, but it would not necessarily be immediately obvious he was critically injured. Especially if it's assumed he's incoherence is from drugs, not a extremely violent beating they did not witness and don't know the half of.

An explanation is not an excuse. Deciding all these people must be absolute monsters and looking no deeper means you fix nothing.

Not a single sorry one of those cops even tried to assess the condition of TN. Even if they thought he was on drugs he should have been looked at. They don't get paid to stand around laughing and slapping each other on the back for a job well done. I'm sickened by the level of man's inhumanity to man by our country's supposed finest.JMO

Its an occupational culture and perspective.

<modsnip> What's taking so long to investigate him and fire him like the others. Charges?
Finally some news about this guy! It blew my mind that the first video we watched was the body cam from this officer, but that he had not been fired or charged… He immediately drew has weapon and pointed it at Tyre as soon as he got out of the car. After that, at first it was hard to tell from the video, but after watching it a few times I realized that the officer wearing the body cam (this guy) is the same officer who was tasing him, swearing at him, threatening him… but Tyre WAS compliant! He WAS on the ground, he DID have his hands behind his back… from the very beginning, I was like, “NONE of this is right… This guy is doing so many things wrong, why has he not been fired also??” Additionally, it has been reported in MSM that the officers from video number one eventually made it to the scene where the second confrontation occurred, so if that’s true (which I would like to hear directly from Memphis PD on that), then he’s also guilty of standing around and not intervening or rendering care. To me, IMO, all of these things add up to criminal charges also. I was watching CNN today and they mentioned again that the DA has stated it is very possible that more individuals will be charged soon. I hope this guy is one of them, because from what I witnessed in that video, his actions are worthy of criminal charges also. MOO.

Last edited:

Of course I read to the end...what Im (personally) not agreeing to is your "alternative psychological explanation" on this entire situation. But every one is entitled to what they may be guessing what was going on with the EMT's. Yours and mine just completely differ on why they may of acted as they did.

The fact is they not only stood there doing nothing, they didn't even approach Tyre for several minutes after arriving to the scene. MOO there is ZERO excuse for them doing that and IMO they should be fired and possibly some negligence charges filed against them. As well as them being barred from ever being an EMT anywhere ever again. This is just my take and not saying anyone has to agree or parallel with it.

Last edited:
Finally some news about this guy! It blew my mind that the first video we watched was the body cam from this officer, but that he had not been fired or charged… He immediately drew has weapon and pointed it at Tyre as soon as he got out of the car. After that, at first it was hard to tell from the video, but after watching it a few times I realized that the officer wearing the body cam (this guy) is the same officer who was tasing him, swearing at him, threatening him… but Tyre WAS compliant! He WAS on the ground, he DID have his hands behind his back… from the very beginning, I was like, “NONE of this is right… This guy is doing so many things wrong, why has he not been fired also??” Additionally, it has been reported that the officers from video number one eventually made it to the scene where the second confrontation occurred, so if that’s true (which I think we are all waiting for confirmation from Memphis PD on that), then he’s also guilty of standing around and not intervening or rendering care. To me these things add up to criminal charges. I was watching CNN today and they hey mentioned that the DA has stated it is very possible that more individuals will be charged. I hope this guy is one of them, because as far as I’m concerned, from what I witnessed in that video, his actions are worthy of criminal charges also. MOO.

I linked an article a few posts back that also said he was on body cam saying twice, "I hope they stomp his a--." He needs to be fired and charged as well IMO.

I linked an article a few posts back that also said he was on body cam saying twice, "I hope they stomp his a--." He needs to be fired and charged as well IMO.
Yes! I forgot about that part, you are right… I thought about that afterwards and I was like… there really is no alternative way to interpret those words other than exactly as he said them… he was frustrated and ticked off, and he wanted Tyre to pay a price for it… when, ironically, if we’re being brutally honest here, the only people to blame for Tyre making a run for it, were the cops themselves… their severe aggression terrified Tyre, he was complying, so it didn’t make sense that they were being so rough with him, so he ran… and I would’ve, too. Also, it is also the officers’ fault for not being able to do their job effectively. They pepper sprayed EACH OTHER for God’s sake… And, they couldn’t even engage in pursuit after him. No one to blame but themselves, but because they’re frustrated and aggravated as a result, somehow they conclude this is all Tyre’s fault, so he needs to get “stomped”?

I truly don’t have words for this kind of behavior. To any sane person, this just seems impossible to rationalize. All MOO.

Last edited:
Of course I read to the end...what Im (personally) not agreeing to is your "alternative psychological explanation" on this entire situation. But every one is entitled to what they may be guessing what was going on with the EMT's. Yours and mine just completely differ on why they may of acted as they did.

The fact is they not only stood there doing nothing, they didn't even approach Tyre for several minutes after arriving to the scene. MOO there is ZERO excuse for them doing that and IMO they should be fired and possibly some negligence charges filed against them. As well as them being barred from ever being an EMT anywhere ever again. This is just my take and not saying anyone has to agree or parallel with it.
Am I missing the part where we disagree or something?

Explanation ------×------ Excuse

Nothing I said was about them not receiving consequences for their utter negligence.

Whenever something really bad like this happens politicians 'fix it' by firing all the bad people, and the people standing next to the bad people. They have Taken Action and Found the Culprits who will Face Consequences. Which is great and all, but conveniently forgets about the systems they built that allowed for people to to get so bad.

It wasn't 20 psychopaths who stood around laughing as this man lay beaten and dying. It was 20 mostly ordinary and normal people who were the products of a system that made Tyres abuse and dehumanisation completely unremarkable. That doesn't make them any less culpable, they still had choices, but it does make them more frightening.

Monsters are easy, we can lock them up away from Decent Folk and forgot there ever was a key. What do you do about a whole system that turns people into monsters?

Nothing I said was about them not receiving consequences for their utter negligence.

Whenever something really bad like this happens politicians 'fix it' by firing all the bad people, and the people standing next to the bad people. They have Taken Action and Found the Culprits who will Face Consequences. Which is great and all, but conveniently forgets about the systems they built that allowed for people to to get so bad.

It wasn't 20 psychopaths who stood around laughing as this man lay beaten and dying. It was 20 mostly ordinary and normal people who were the products of a system that made Tyres abuse and dehumanisation completely unremarkable. That doesn't make them any less culpable, they still had choices, but it does make them more frightening.

Monsters are easy, we can lock them up away from Decent Folk and forgot there ever was a key. What do you do about a whole system that turns people into monsters?

BBM
You change it. People have been wanting that for a while. there is a current peaceful activist movement with this as the goal.

Yes! I forgot about that part, you are right… I thought about that afterwards and I was like… there really is no alternative way to interpret those words other than exactly as he said them… he was frustrated and ticked off, and he wanted Tyre to pay a price for it… when, ironically, if we’re being brutally honest here, the only people to blame for Tyre making a run for it, were the cops themselves… their severe aggression terrified Tyre, he was complying, so it didn’t make sense that they were being so rough with him, so he ran… and I would’ve, too. Also, it is also the officers’ fault for not being able to do their job effectively. They pepper sprayed EACH OTHER for God’s sake… And, they couldn’t even engage in pursuit after him. No one to blame but themselves, but because they’re frustrated and aggravated as a result, somehow they conclude this is all Tyre’s fault, so he needs to get “stomped”?

I truly don’t have words for this kind of behavior. To any sane person, this just seems impossible to rationalize. All MOO.
All of this is so well said P83 and I totally agree!

What I highlighted made me think of something as well.. In a lot of these situations people have said "Only if the victim would have complied this would have never happened". Well perhaps that could be true is past situations that accelerated out of control, but IMO not this one. This seemed to be an attack on Tyre from the second the officers approached the car...like an agenda.

I think anyone would have be startled and terrified by this and ran for there lives as this young man did, just instinct to save himself not being defiant or non compliant. MOO

If we all think we are appalled now, wait till this case goes to trial and the criminal defense attorneys start coming out with excuses and defenses for their clients. We are going to need barf buckets to be able to listen to it.

I can't say they are all psychopaths but there is definitely a lack of empathy for all involved or SOMEBODY would have checked him out after hearing the five brag about how they beat him or, to coin a phrase, stomped his a__. Blaming the system doesn't work for me. JMO

Their reactions to that camera were telling and troubling !!
If you're doing nothing wrong, you shouldn't mind any amount of cameras .
Imo.
Quoting myself to say that from the articles it sounded like some of the officers did not have their bodycams turned on ?
Big mistake.
Those cameras are necessary for their own safety as well as the alleged perps' .
Esp. in this day and age, the public needs to see that the police aren't breaking the law; and if they are, we're all in a lot of trouble.

We need to know that we can trust LE.
I cannot emphasize that enough.

With great power comes great responsibility.
LE should in some ways be more accountable as they wield more authority than civilians.

Again I'm sorry for the great police officers who are doing their job well and humanely, and who may now be at more risk because of the actions of the five or six in Memphis !
M00.

Maybe it’s possible… to be honest I had the same thought so I searched to see if there was any alleged criminal history for Tyre just to try to see if there was any that he crossed paths with who may have had some sort of weird vendetta or something. I was unable to find anything… but I suppose that would not shed light on any sort of prior connection or interaction he had had with any of the thugs just out and about in the neighborhood, meaning, something that wouldn’t be documented. For all we know, one of these cops could’ve just picked him out of a crowd and assumed that he was doing something wrong one day and just had it out for him for no real legitimate reason as a result. I mean this is total speculation but I guess this is human nature… To try to make some sort of sense out of something so senseless? There could be absolutely nothing here to uncover, but if you learn anything else related to this, let me know, and I’ll do the same. :)
Following up on this post for anyone who had asked about Tyre potentially having criminal record, or previous documented interaction with any of these officers - On his Fox News show on Saturday evening, Brian Kilmead confirmed that Tyre Nichols did NOT have a criminal record of any kind. I totally suspected this would be the case but, now we have confirmation. From MSM, anyway.

Following up on this post for anyone who had asked about Tyre potentially having criminal record, or previous documented interaction with any of these officers - On his Fox News show on Saturday evening, Brian Kilmead confirmed that Tyre Nichols did NOT have a criminal record of any kind. I totally suspected this would be the case but, now we have confirmation.
Thanks for this update, @Petunia83 !

I was thinking along the lines of Tyre had witnessed this group doing something illegal ... and they knew he'd seen them ?
So they decided to silence him ?
It felt targeted and purposeful, and not just a traffic stop that got out of hand, iykwim . :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back