Toddler Dies After Swallowing A Battery

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by White Rain, May 29, 2009.

  1. White Rain

    White Rain Active Member

    Messages:
    4,829
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    36
    How sad and heart-breaking.

    FORT LUPTON, Colo. -- A rosary service was held Thursday night for 2-year-old Elaina Redding, who bled to death three weeks after a swallowing a button-sized battery.

    Elaina's mother, Donna Ryan, told Denver television station KMGH her family is unsure how Elaina got the battery in her mouth but they later determined it probably came from a small, electronic game.

    "It was from a hand-held Yahtzee, an electronic game," said Elaina's father, A.J. Redding.

    The girl swallowed the battery on May 2 and started clutching her chest, saying it hurt, her parents said. Elaina's parents took her to Platte Valley Medical Center in Brighton, where X-rays revealed the problem.
    more: http://www.wsbtv.com/health/19599996/detail.html
     
  2. Loading...


  3. eleven

    eleven New Member

    Messages:
    703
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    WOW!!!!! :( How incredibly sad.

    I consider myself very well informed when it comes to dangers to children, and I have NEVER heard of this being such a problem. Obviously, swallowing anything small is a choking hazard, I just never realized that this can cause death in 8 hours.

    Quoted from the article:

    Ten percent of kids who swallow button batteries die, according to the poison center. That's because batteries lodged in the esophagus can cause severe burns in just two hours. Within six hours, the battery can eat through the esophagus or the organ they are lodged against, and within eight to 10 hours, it can cause death.


    Battery removal is done with an endoscope. Surgery is rarely, if ever, indicated. Experts say do not give your child ipecac if he or she has swallowed a battery.

    I wonder why they say "Surgery is rarely, if ever, indicated." ????
     
  4. Angels_Not_Forgotten

    Angels_Not_Forgotten Anxiously Awaiting a WINNING NFL Season!

    Messages:
    1,750
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    oh my gosh oh my gosh how sad! :( how many of my 4 year old's toys are battery operated with NO screw cover? so so sad
     
  5. momtective

    momtective Lifetime WS Non-Mod

    Messages:
    12,005
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Just sounded the alarm throughout my entire house full of kids...KEEP THOSE BATTERIES PUT UP! I find batteries all over the place, they remove dead ones from Toys and whatnot and just leave the old one lay. Not anymore though, I just read them this story, they looked at our 4 y/o twins and cringed.
    I'm so sorry this happened to this family.
     
  6. mysterygirl

    mysterygirl A Nancy Drew Wannabe

    Messages:
    4,051
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Just saw a story on this on Inside Edition a few days ago. I was horrified. They had a little boy who swallowed one and went to the hospital relatively quickly. By the time they got the battery out, he had third degree type burns (chemical) to his esophagus.

    If it is stuck in the esophagus, you can get it out with an endoscope but if it travels further or can't grab it with the scope, surgery would be needed.

    They showed the little boy intubated, on vent, in ICU. He did make a full recovery though. Scary!

    Yet another thing you have to watch!
     
  7. LaLaw2000

    LaLaw2000 Louisiana

    Messages:
    12,363
    Likes Received:
    44
    Trophy Points:
    48
    I just emailed this article to my daughter in Virginia. All of my grandchildren have gadgets with batteries. They are 5, 8, 13, and 16.

    This is so incredibly heartbreaking for Elaina and her parents. GB this family. There is another little angel in heaven now.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice