Toddler's Mother/Peaches/Jane Doe #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some fantastic sleuthing guys. I think there needs to be a sort of recap post on page one.

Potential matches - submitted to namus etc.
Ruled out by WS - reason why.

One things for sure, you guys are going to keep namus busy for a while. Well done.
I agree it's hard to keep track of all the work everyone is doing, would be nice to have one post that is updated with that information.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

It seems these were Wamsutta Supercale plus king sized pillow shams.

Attachments

• wamsutta.jpg
    wamsutta.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,302
  • wamsutta2.jpg
    wamsutta2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,281
  • wamsutta3.jpg
    wamsutta3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,266
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

It seems these were Wamsutta Supercale plus king sized pillow shams.

WOW, sitting down in awe. This is absolutely HUGE discovery coffeeandacig!!! My eyes and I am sure of many others are criss crossed from all the searches for this piece of material without any luck. All hats down. Here comes the goldcrown :goldcrown:

Can you please link where you found the images please so we can sleuth who was making them, distribution etc etc?

WOW, sitting down in awe. This is absolutely HUGE discovery coffeeandacig!!! My eyes and I am sure of many others are criss crossed from all the searches for this piece of material without any luck. All hats down. Here comes the goldcrown :goldcrown:

Can you please link where you found the images please so we can sleuth who was making them, distribution etc etc?
:goldcrown:

Two Gold Crowns!!! Awesome Find! Many of us looked but were not successful. Great Job!

More Pictures....

Someone should send a PM to Josh and Rachel...again good work coffeeandacig!!!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture8.jpg
    Capture8.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 651
  • Capture7.jpg
    Capture7.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 652
  • Capture-pillowcase6.jpg
    Capture-pillowcase6.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 652
  • Capture-pillowcase5.jpg
    Capture-pillowcase5.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 648
Looks like the Wamsutta Brand is currently sold at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Wamsutta Mills was a textile manufacturing company located in New Bedford, Massachusetts, a port which was known as a center of the whaling industry. The company was named after Wamsutta, the son of a Native American chief who negotiated an early alliance with the English settlers of the Plymouth Colony in the 17th century. Wamsutta Company's textile mill was founded by Thomas Bennett, Jr. on the banks of the Acushnet River in 1846 and opened in 1848. It was the first of many textile mills that gradually came to overtake whaling as the principal employer in New Bedford. Other mills in the area soon sprang up. By the 1870s, cotton textile manufacture was more important to the local economy than whaling. Wamsutta Mills became well known for producing fine quality shirtings, sheetings and other fine cotton products. The Wamsutta brand continues to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wamsutta_Mills#Recent_events

In modern times, Wamsutta is a brand name of Springs Global US, Inc., a textile conglomerate headquartered in Fort Mill, South Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wamsutta_Mills#Recent_events

I'm guessing the pillow case probably came from Bed Bath and Beyond, but there are a lot of them on Long Island. No telling where they might have been purchased really. But it definitely came from someone's home. I'd bet the farm on that.

More on the Wamsutta Brand. The company was purchased by Springs.

Springs was the largest industrial employer in South Carolina[SUP][10][/SUP] with $1.7 billion in sales in 1987 and 23,500 employees at 39 plants in six states plus Belgium, England and Japan. About 18,000 people worked at 24 plants in South Carolina.[SUP][11][/SUP]
Springs was the largest employer in Chester County, South Carolina when on May 2, 1988, the company announced a $12 million plant in Fort Lawn to make comforters, draperies and other bedroom items. With 325 new jobs, the county would have 4000 people working for Springs. Already, Springs made bedspreads at the Riverlawn Plant in Fort Lawn.[SUP][11][/SUP]
In August 1988, Springs announced that 200 jobs would be lost at its 93-year-old Lancaster complex. This would reduce the number of employees to 1300, down from 4500 in 1981. The number of fly shuttle looms was reduced during the same period from 7000 to 300.[SUP][12][/SUP]
On October 20, 1988, Springs announced plans to spend $370 million over the next two years on modernization, as well as closing or selling some plants. This would include the Home Furnishings and Industrial Fabrics groups. Already, the White Plant in Fort Mill and the Katherine Plant in Chester were getting $20 million in improvements each, while in Lancaster, 200 jobs were being dropped as a weaving process was ended, and 179 lost their jobs in Anderson, South Carolina with the closing of the Lyons Plant.[SUP][10][/SUP]
In 1989, Springs opened the Close Plant in Fort Mill.[SUP][6][/SUP]
[h=2]Merger with Coteminas[edit][/h]Springs began its association with Brazil-based Coteminas in 2001, when the Close family took the company private. That year, Springs and Coteminas began a "trategic long-term alliance."[SUP][7][/SUP]
In 2002, Springs bought the Beaulieu accent rug business including its Dalton, Georgia and Stratford, Ontario operations, and the Burlington Industries window treatment and bedding businesses.[SUP][7][/SUP]
In 2003, 500 workers lost their jobs when the White Plant and the Lancaster Plant closed, and 130 more Grace Plant workers also were let go.[SUP][3][/SUP]
In 2004, Springs closed the 1920s Lyman, South Carolina and 1960s Anderson, South Carolina plants acquired in 1985.[SUP][6][/SUP]
On January 1, 2005, global textile quotas ended, allowing countries where employers paid their workers less than U.S. companies to ship more products.[SUP][7][/SUP]
Early in the year, the Elliott Plant in Fort Lawn closed and 450 were laid off at the Grace Plant.[SUP][6][/SUP]
In October 2005, Springs announced its home furnishings operations would merge with Coteminas, in an effort to lower costs, stay competitive and keep as many jobs as possible. Springs still had around 1000 workers at two Chester County plants. With manufacturing at 13 plants in Brazil and Argentina, Springs could have sheets and towels in stores faster than if production was done in China. Springs and Coteminas would each own half of Springs Global, and Springs would continue to make Springmaid and Wamsutta products.[SUP][13][/SUP]
After spending $10 million improving the Katherine Plant in 2005, Springs announced machinery from there would be moved to South America, and 700 would lose their jobs by February 2007. Also, the Frances Plant in Fort Lawn was closing in December 2006, with 60 jobs lost.[SUP][7][/SUP]
On June 27, 2007 Springs said that after 120 years, Springs would end manufacturing in South Carolina with the closing of its Grace and Close plants. The state would still have about 700 employees, most of them at distribution centers in Lancaster and Fort Lawn, and at the Fort Mill offices.[SUP][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springs_Global

[/SUP]

Wow!!! I spent hours looking. Excellent find!!! I am so glad to see this!

From someone's home, someone's mother, or maybe from a B&B... run by the family.

I'm guessing the pillow case probably came from Bed Bath and Beyond, but there are a lot of them on Long Island. No telling where they might have been purchased really. But it definitely came from someone's home. I'd bet the farm on that.

There are a lot of Bed Bath and Beyond Stores today but I don't remember there being so many around in 1997, especially on Long Island.

I went back and looked up Bed Bath and Beyonds annual reports/financials. Bed Bath and Beyond is headquartered in Union, NJ and looks like it was primarily in the east coast back then. I tried finding actual store numbers and it looks like there were only 110 nationwide. In the NY and NJ area there were stores in Queens, East Hanover, NJ, Woodbridge, NJ, with 11 in NY and 7 in NJ. I am pretty sure there was a store in Farmingdale, LI. There were also 3 stores in Conneticut.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=97860&p=irol-sec

MAXFORMAL.COM
izod linens brand logo
martex linens brand logo
fieldcrest linens brand logo
dan river linens brand logo
dickies work clothes brand logo
ralph lauren linens brand logo
max formal screen printing
wamsutta brand logo
We are wholesale linens distributors, selling to department stores, mass merchants, general stores, interior decoraters, hotels, motels, nursing homes, clubs, and other institutions. Our brands include Fieldcrest, Cannon, Wamsutta, Springs, Martex, Dan River, and other quality manufacturers.

Pricing for our institutional linens and bedding is among the best in the country, but we hope that you choose us for our Quality and Service.

Established in 1953, our goals and objectives are to develop and maintain excellent long-term customer relationships by providing exceptional value and service.

We are good corporate citizens and maintain the highest level of professionalism and ethics.

Thanks everyone!

I've got to agree that the Wamsutta Valencia pillow sham came from someone's home. Wouldn't be far fetched to think it was bought at a Macy's on LI in the early 90s.

Also, I think a pillow sham would be less likely to be noticed missing than a pillow case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288