PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

"Tonight thank God it's them instead of you" still -- Band Aid at 30

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by wfgodot, Nov 18, 2014.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Why Adele was right to ignore Bob Geldof and Band Aid (Telegraph)
    Bryony Gordon wonders why, when it comes to charity, the rich and famous
    donate their precious time while the rest of us must donate our money

more at links

Band Aid 30 backlash is fair, but damaging (Forbes)

They know it’s Christmas (Washington Post)

Band Aid 30 debut new 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' video (NME)

Discuss.

2. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Band Aid 30: clumsy, patronising and wrong in so many ways (Guardian)
    Bob Geldof is right: Ebola must be stopped. But is the revival of Do They Know It’s
    Christmas?, with those lyrics that haunt me year after year, really the best way to help?

And much more from Guardian here.

And here:

Band Aid 30 introduces a whole new world of dread and fear
    A deconstruction of the new version of the song, whose lyrics now reflect the impact of Ebola in Africa

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

So....whattaya think of the song, the vid, Geldof, etc.? I remember buying the first Band Aid effort 30 years ago -- format: 45 rpm single. $1.29, maybe -- TG&Y store in my hometown. Lousy song, great cause -- but $$ badly handled. Geldof -- pffft. Hated Boomtown Rats. "Sir Bob." Ego larger than the cause -- yet no doubt he did care about it deeply. Polarizing but sincere.

4. brighidin

brighidin remember me as a time of day

If there is one person more annoying than Bono, it is Bob Geldof. I love the Gordon article from the Telegraph even though it contained a picture that included both of those smunts.

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Yep, you got it -- fingernails on a chalkboard, those two. Eeek!

Telegraph article's got Bobby bang to rights -- the pretense etc. etc., and I also like Stuart Jeffries in Guardian's chuckle-worthy deconstruction of the lyrics; and, same paper, Bim Adewunmi's balanced yet incredulous overview of the whole wank-fest, lol.

Fine cause of course -- check the links in OP, the Post piece "They Know It's Christmas," for other ways to contribute -- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International always good, for example.

6. badhorsie

badhorsie Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

I must be getting cynical but am hating on celebrity "charidee". Especially Terry Wogan collecting 300,000GBP for presenting Children in Need and all the participating "stars" promoting books, albums etc. Meanwhile the great unwashed are expected to dig deep for charities who spend millions on salaries and company cars, benefits etc

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

B-b-but....slebs!

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

[video=youtu;bjQzJAKxTrE]http://youtu.be/bjQzJAKxTrE[/video]

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

10. ellemo

ellemo Member

I haven't had time to click on any of the links but I am so excited to see the backlash from this song. Back when it was first released, I remember thinking what a stupid song. The "tonight thank God ..." link you quote really grated on me! Lot's wrong with the song but that one line irked me the most. At least "We Are the World" sounded empathetic.

11. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

Omg, I remember when we all thought this was lovely and you'd hear nothing but praise (except from those few curmudgeons who don't like the Boomtown Rats..) about how the musos all got together to feed the world, etc etc. I actually liked the message of the song....

Okay, I hated the song. But I bought a copy. My Nanna liked it.

BT Rats rock.

(ps, look how YOUNG they all look in that video!!!! they ought to be ashamed. I demand a more elderly, updated version to help us pre-midlifers adjust to the idea that the 80's are, actually, well and truly and forever over... wasn't Boy George just adorable tho? oooh and duran duran, all of em, yummy)

12. Snoofo

Snoofo New Member

I have Do They Know It's Christmas video, with all its "making of" highlights, on BETAMAX!

Did any one of us know the only one who would look hotter than ever 30 years later is that Boy George O'Dowd?

13. Snoofo

Snoofo New Member

I still haven't heard the new song. The old one was horrible but hey, who was going to be more supportive than a 12 year old already into new wave?

14. Ausgirl

I think you win at the 80's, right there.

I think Simon Le Bon has kept pretty well, too.

[​IMG]

let's just never speak of the outlandish moustachio phase

15. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Okay, "Mary of the 4th Form" was not too bad. Still occasionally have that pleasantly stuck in my head.

16. badhorsie

badhorsie Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

And now, here it is, in my head. Thanks Woofy :slap: :gaah:

17. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Let's see if we can hook others ("the first one's free") but first, for fairness's sake, let me absolutely diss their novelty hit (in all the worst senses of that term) "I Don't Like Mondays": sorry, horrific -- a power ballad with shite "daring" lyrics etc. etc.

[video=youtu;Aiv7hE0s7Xw]http://youtu.be/Aiv7hE0s7Xw[/video]

Well, derivative as hell, but okay FOR THEM, lol.

18. Ausgirl

I was *mad* for that song when it came out (IDLM). I still like it, though I'm pretty much over my BTRats fangirl days.

My DD listens to 80's music more than I do and I've had so much fun introducing her to the music I used to love so much, back in the day. Sometimes it just floors me what she ends up liking best - her latest thing is Thomas Dolby, for goodness' sake. And Missing Persons ("It's like Lady Gaga, but without all the lame"). hehe

Occasionally, just to be mean, I'll turn her onto a real stinker... "Omg, how could I forget to tell you about such-and-such??!! Awesome, you'll love it!!!!" And then I sit back and wait for the wailing to begin, "Mum, it's AWFUL and now it's STUCK in my HEAD!!! How COULD you??!!"

Bahahaha. Songs like this:

[video=youtube;ZLqC3zs4r3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLqC3zs4r3Y[/video]

19. Ausgirl

and the classic:

[video=youtube;AjPau5QYtYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs[/video]

20. Ausgirl

Not to mention:

[video=youtube;iIpfWORQWhU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU[/video]

I sense a mix tape coming on.