Tornado kills at least 4 in southern Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Dark Knight, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

OKLAHOMA CITY – A large, violent tornado ripped through a southern Oklahoma town late Tuesday evening, killing four people and injuring up to 50, authorities said. Severe weather also caused damage and power outages in metro Oklahoma City and western Texas.

At least four people were killed and between 20 and 50 were injured by the tornado in Lone Grove, the state Department of Emergency Management said. The town of about 4,600 people is about 100 miles south of Oklahoma City.

Damage in the town was extensive and ambulances and other first responders from communities near Lone Grove were heading there, said Amber Wilson, the emergency management director for nearby Ardmore.
    "Basically, all we have, it is pretty bad," said Chester Agan, assistant emergency manager for Carter County.

The National Weather Service said the tornado that hit Lone Grove was large and violent. At least two other twisters were confirmed, including one that damaged buildings in Oklahoma City and the northern suburb of Edmond.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather

2. Loading...

3. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Active Member

It was a rough evening around Oklahoma. OKC saw a lot of damage as did Edmond. Other small towns saw minimal damage, but the hardest hit was Lone Grove. The reports I am getting from OKC are a couple of F-2s or possibly F-3s. I haven't heard about the one that hit Lone Grove yet. :( They were hit hard and the loss of life is so sad. The death toll is up to 8 now and they are still searching.

I do know in OKC, there were roofs torn off several houses and an apartment complex. The wall of Chuckie Cheese was blown out along with windows of surrounding businesses. It snapped electric poles and ripped off signs in various areas. I haven't heard of any injuries in OKC or Edmond. Thank Goodness.

4. fran

fran Former Member

My sis lives in Edmond. I called last night and fortunately the tornado there was about a mile from them. A few years ago when they lost part of their roof, thankfully both she and my bil were at work.

Prayers for all those effected. Tornados have no mercy and are scary.:(

fran

5. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

I feel for everyone up in OK that lost loved ones last night. That was one heck of a storm line. It was from up in OK all the way down past south of us (central TX). We had structural damage down here, flipped 18 wheelers, but no deaths. The winds did not die down until very early this morning. We had 80 MPH gusts, I would say that the winds were over 60 MPH sustained (going by my previous experiences here in CenTX).

Hopefully the people up in OK can begin to recover and I send prayers to those who lost their loved ones, from my heart to heaven.

6. BuzzieCat

BuzzieCat New Member

I'm in your area too and tornadoes scare the heck out of me. I'm originally from the Valley, where there are hardly ever any tornadoes.

7. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

The death toll is now up to 8, according to the AP. :(

The killer tornado SOUNDS like an F4, based on my knowledge as a storm spotter, but I don't think it's been confirmed. Maybe a strong F3.