Tornadoes in KY & IN Several Deaths Reported

If you live in a trailer, you are playing Russian Roulette with tornadoes. Even the frame homes were shredded. You need something super strong, and very well-built.

Dark Knight said:
The sirens went off, but apparently it didn't wake people up. Police and fire should have also been out using their PA systems to warn people. I don't know quite what happened that so few were woken up. Although there isn't much you can do in a mobile home, sadly. Plus, at night, it is VERY difficult to see the twister coming.

Tornadoes do happen most often late afternoon, but yes, they do occur at all hours of the day and night, every month of the year, and in every state, without exception.
They probably have a map of the U,S, displaying the tornado probability, in colors, as to intensity. Most of us , in CA, have very little worry about violent weather, as it is all but non-existent. We may get a little wind a few times a year, and heavy constant rains, on occasion, but that is about it. Even thunder, and lightning, are fairly rare.

I'm in Kentucky...but luckily not in the area affected. I heard in Indiana that the storm knocked out the 911 emergency reponse system...the tornado being in the middle of the night...just didn't help...

It was really windy here last night and today...we had a metal sign screwed into a brick wall with a hanger and it knocked it off , as well as porch chairs scattered in the yard

Buzzm1 said:
They probably have a map of the U,S, displaying the tornado probability, in colors, as to intensity. Most of us , in CA, have very little worry about violent weather, as it is all but non-existent. We may get a little wind a few times a year, and heavy constant rains, on occasion, but that is about it. Even thunder, and lightning, are fairly rare.
Note the following link:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/#History

Scan down this page and you will see a section that allows you to search by state, you can refine the search to year or what ever.

You will note that funnel clouds have been reported in CA

raisincharlie said:
Thanks for the links. I grew up in Owensboro - use to go to Henderson and E town all the time. Glad your relatives are okay. Sounds like this must have been an F3 or F4 tornado, very bad news.

I live about 35 miles from Owensboro, my family live near Henderson so this was pretty scary for me, a small tornado actually touch down here in Butler County but didnt do any damage thank God.

Its been unusually warm the last few days , its usually in 40's , at night, and at midnight last night was 70 degrees, the wind got up pretty bad here, but i went to bed with no worries of nothing bad happening as there were only severe thunderstorms watch issued.

A friend, Trina from Henderson knew a pregnant lady and family that was killed in Ind. Although i dont know that family, i feel sad for all the lives lost and wouldnt have slept a wink if i knew how serious danager my family were close to.

Anniegirl said:
I live about 35 miles from Owensboro, my family live near Henderson so this was pretty scary for me, a small tornado actually touch down here in Butler County but didnt do any damage thank God.

Its been unusually warm the last few days , its usually in 40's , at night, and at midnight last night was 70 degrees, the wind got up pretty bad here, but i went to bed with no worries of nothing bad happening as there were only severe thunderstorms watch issued.

A friend, Trina from Henderson knew a pregnant lady and family that was killed in Ind. Although i dont know that family, i feel sad for all the lives lost and wouldnt have slept a wink if i knew how serious danager my family were close to.
Glad you and your family are okay Anniegirl. Very sorry about your friend's aquaintance and all the other families hurt by this tragedy. Stay safe !

I live in Evansville now. I'm directly on the other side of I-164 less than 2 miles from where it happened. Neither my younger son or I heard the siren, my older son woke us up and I told him it was just a bad storm and to go back to bed. We are so lucky today. The only damage we have is that the electricity in our house was damaged, something about a phase? being out - could be five days before it is fixed. It's funny - we have electricity in some rooms but not in others.

MidnightMyst said:
I'm in Kentucky...but luckily not in the area affected. I heard in Indiana that the storm knocked out the 911 emergency reponse system...the tornado being in the middle of the night...just didn't help...

It was really windy here last night and today...we had a metal sign screwed into a brick wall with a hanger and it knocked it off , as well as porch chairs scattered in the yard
------------
MidnightMyst,I'm just outside of Cleveland Ohio. We have been rocking with heavy wind and rain all day also.I heard there was hail in Brunswick..I was in the tornado of June '53~It puts the fear of God in ya!!! My prayers go to all the people.

raisincharlie said:
Note the following link:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/#History

Scan down this page and you will see a section that allows you to search by state, you can refine the search to year or what ever.

You will note that funnel clouds have been reported in CA
Good job finding that link! They tell us in our severe weather spotter training that ALL 50 states have had tornadoes, and every month of the year has had a tornado somewhere in the U.S. Obviously those of us in "Tornado Alley" have a far greater probability of having tornadoes than everyone else.

sharper said:
I live in Evansville now. I'm directly on the other side of I-164 less than 2 miles from where it happened. Neither my younger son or I heard the siren, my older son woke us up and I told him it was just a bad storm and to go back to bed. We are so lucky today. The only damage we have is that the electricity in our house was damaged, something about a phase? being out - could be five days before it is fixed. It's funny - we have electricity in some rooms but not in others.
Only one side of electrical box is working---one of the double bars in your panel has no power to it.

Buzzm1 said:
Only one side of electrical box is working---one of the double bars in your panel has no power to it.

Would checking breakers help correct that?

Dan McDonald, a firefighter, raised his ax and plunged it into the carcass of a mobile home, looking for life but half-expecting to find more death. It was a dozen hours after a rare November tornado hopscotched across southwestern Indiana, snapping trees, obliterating trailers and killing 23 people.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/11/07/in_seconds_a_tornado_takes_23_lives/

"I thought it was a bad dream," said Tim Martin, 42, who was in a mobile home that was thrown into a neighbor's yard. He and his parents were unharmed, but heard neighbors calling for help.

Park resident Larry Brown rode out the storm inside his mobile home. After the storm, "we opened the door and there wasn't anything sitting there," he said.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-06-tornado-side_x.htm

Evansville paper. Slideshow of some of the damage, many articles.
http://courier.evansville.net/

Dark Knight said:
The sirens went off, but apparently it didn't wake people up. Police and fire should have also been out using their PA systems to warn people. I don't know quite what happened that so few were woken up. Although there isn't much you can do in a mobile home, sadly. Plus, at night, it is VERY difficult to see the twister coming.

I believe the sirens are meant to warn people when they are outside. Most people do not hear them inside their homes and especially in the dead of the night and the wind was HORRID!! The lightning and thunder were just as loud. I do know that some of the meteorlogist(sp?) were telling people to call anyone they knew that was in the path of this storm. I know our local channel 14 has a weather alert that anyone in the tri state can sign up for (it's free) and anytime a warning is issued, an alarm goes off on their weather radio. There are fairly inexpensive. A couple of local people interviewed have said that is what saved them. I know this tornado was EXTREMELY fast and it took less than 4 minutes to get from Henderson, Ky, Ellis Park Race track to the Eastbrook trailer park. I also heard tonight that another body was found in the trailer park lake which was located directly behind the park. They are in the process of draining it. They tried to drag it; but, there was too much debris.

We are hanging on tight, we have another cold front coming in tomorrow night. Pray that it's only rain.

I believe the sirens are meant to warn people when they are outside. Most people do not hear them inside their homes and especially in the dead of the night and the wind was HORRID!!

Thats true detectivewannabe- we had one touch down here in my county same night as Henderson/evansville, didnt do a lot of damage to homes (minor damage reported), only took some trees down in a small area call Woodbury , but apparently our town sound the "SIRENS" and anyone ive talk to didnt hear it, and the wind was so bad like you said, i dont know how you couldve heard it anyway .

Thanking God no was injured around here- but praying for those who lost familya nd friends in the areas hit - they were dragging a pond close one of the worse hit areas, theyve already found 3 people in it, and it was hundreds of feet from where they lived :(

detectivewannabe said:
Dark Knight said:

I believe the sirens are meant to warn people when they are outside. Most people do not hear them inside their homes and especially in the dead of the night and the wind was HORRID!! The lightning and thunder were just as loud. I do know that some of the meteorlogist(sp?) were telling people to call anyone they knew that was in the path of this storm. I know our local channel 14 has a weather alert that anyone in the tri state can sign up for (it's free) and anytime a warning is issued, an alarm goes off on their weather radio. There are fairly inexpensive. A couple of local people interviewed have said that is what saved them. I know this tornado was EXTREMELY fast and it took less than 4 minutes to get from Henderson, Ky, Ellis Park Race track to the Eastbrook trailer park. I also heard tonight that another body was found in the trailer park lake which was located directly behind the park. They are in the process of draining it. They tried to drag it; but, there was too much debris.

We are hanging on tight, we have another cold front coming in tomorrow night. Pray that it's only rain.
A NOAA Weather Radio with SAME Technology is one of the best investments anybody can make, for just this very reason. It will wake ANYONE up, without question, lol.

I have been hearing on my local news, that a while ago the city had reviewed an alert system that would have made telephone calls to every residence in the affected area, but they turned it down due to the expense costs for setting the system up and operating it. Now there is speculation that they might reconsider the system.

Here is the information from the NWS website regarding the Evansville Tornado.

THE FOLLOWING IS A PRELIMINARY DAMAGE ASSESSMENT FOR THE TORNADO
THAT TRACKED FROM HENDERSON COUNTY KENTUCKY NORTHEAST ACROSS
VANDERBURGH...WARRICK AND INTO SPENCER COUNTIES IN SOUTHWEST INDIANA.

* EVENT DATE: SUNDAY - NOVEMBER 6 2005

* EVENT TYPE: TORNADO - F3

* ESTIMATED START TIME: APPROXIMATELY 150 AM CST; CROSSED
VANDERBURGH-WARRICK COUNTY LINE BETWEEN 202 AND 203 AM CST

* EVENT LOCATION:

TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN 2 MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF SMITH MILLS IN
HENDERSON COUNTY KENTUCKY AND MOVED NORTHEAST ACROSS THE OHIO
RIVER AND ACROSS ELLIS PARK; STAYED SOUTH OF I-164 IN EVANSVILLE;
CONTINUED MOVING NORTHEAST INTO WARRICK COUNTY THROUGH DE GONIA
SPRINGS AND SOUTH OF TENNYSON; LIFTED 1.5 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF
GENTRYVILLE IN SPENCER COUNTY.

* PEAK WIND: ESTIMATED 200 MPH

* DAMAGE AREA DIMENSIONS:

PATH LENGTH - APPROXIMATELY 41 MILES
MAXIMUM WIDTH - 400+ YARDS

* INJURIES: AT LEAST 200 PERSONS /APPROXIMATELY 50 CRITICAL/

* FATALITIES: 23 PERSONS

* UNACCOUNTED FOR: 5-6 PERSONS

* DAMAGE:

100+ BUILDINGS/HOMES DESTROYED OR SEVERELY DAMAGED. MUCH OF THE
DAMAGE APPEARS TO BE UPPER F2 TO LOWER F3 INTENSITY.

PEAK WINDS OCCURRED ON PROSPECT ROAD IN THE INDUSTRIAL PARK NEAR
PARADISE IN WARRICK COUNTY.

THE SURVEY INVESTIGATION IS ONGOING AND SUBJECT TO FURTHER
COORDINATION WITH LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCIES.

The retention pond behind the mobile home was drained on Monday afternoon, and a body was found.

My cousin went up to the Boonville area to help a friend's family with the beginning of the clean up. She said the television pictures don't even show some of the worst damage. She said the personal momentos that are scattered about in the fields is just unbelievable. People as far away as Jasper (about 60 miles north) are reporting finding debris from the tornado in their yards.

Deespoohbear, did they mention anything about how many tornado's there were in the area? I know one touched down near me in Ohio (no damage), and I had heard there might be others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back