Travis Alexander and Jodi Arias - What do you believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thank you Boyz Mum, Jeff Krotine.

Chanler, I do agree she is most likely building a self-defense alibi. However, this would be the third time she has given new or different facts. Does she/her attorney really think this is going to fly in front of a jury?
  • I was not there.
  • Ok, I was there, two intruders attacked and killed travis, tried to kill me, but allowed me to escape, I'm not sure why I did not call LE.
  • I was there, Travis became jealous when he found out I was on my way to meet another man and attacked me. I defended myself.
Another factor, was she traveling with a gun in her purse? Did she routinely carry a firearm? She claimed to own a gun but had never fired one. The gun she owned was a 9mm, NOT a .25 cal. The 9mm mysteriously went missing the day she was arrested in Yreka. Wonder if there was paperwork on that 9mm? If not, I am going to say the gun she owned was actually a .25 cal. The timing is important, she mentioned a CHP in Yreka offered to take her to the range and teach her to shoot. Was this after Travis was murdered? Did that CHP Officer ever actually SEE this 9mm HG?

With her stories shifting and changing, the only facts that emerged (that I could see) are:

Jodi was there- her bloody handprint proves it.

Travis was murdered. No murder weapon was found.

Somehow a camera documented something that someone erased.

(These are the only things about the murder that can be proven, that I can recall. Are there more?)

Now if I think about Jodi's stories, her handprint proves she was there and since her handprint was a bloody one, in my eyes it puts her there while the murder took place. For her to say she wasn't there, was really stupid.
IMO.

So, then she says she was there (conflicts with her first story) and there were TWO intruders in the home. Why TWO? Did she think that ONE person couldn't contain her and Travis, so TWO would be more believable? Then, somehow, miraculously, Jodi fled the scene and foiled the plan of the TWO attackers? It's not very believable, IMO. BUT Jodi doesn't stop there... she was able to grab her purse, I'm guessing she had her car keys too and instead of running to the neighbor's house or driving to the closest, busiest public place to report the pair of attackers while Travis was dying on the floor, she drives to the desert? She comes back from the desert and doesn't say a word- she calls Travis' cell phone twice, knowing full well he's been left there to die...

Then... if they go with a self defense scenerio, we would have Jodi admit to killing Travis because she had to. By admitting to this, Jodi would screw herself? If I were a juror, there would be no way I could hear these 3 stories and find her insane (technically), I could only believe in her guilt. Even if all that was presented in trial was the self defense/jealousy story, it would have to be brought out that Travis had a trip planned with another woman, right?

An insanity plea doesn't wash with me. She seems nuttier than a fruitcake, but I think all her actions at the time of the murder clearly show a person who was trying to hide something. Her plan sucked, but, in all honesty, I can't even say it wasn't "premeditated". She didn't have her cover story in place, but given the history of the couple, one could feel that she went over there on a booty call and seduced Travis in order to murder him?

I wonder if they'll (the lawyers) will go with a "battered woman's defense"? Could it be that we will hear how Travis verbally abused Jodi and she snapped? Would that be a good story to run with? Is that considered a "self defense" sitation?

Okay, I've bored you all enough for one day! :silenced:

Jeff Krotine is the man who I was talking about above (he burned the headboard of the bed). This is the 48 Hours link:http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/06/48hours/main923125_page3.shtml

Jeff Krotine's behavior in this case, was odd. I'm not sure if he is "like" Jodi, but definately a strange demeanor, IMO.

Thanks BoyzMum. I'll be checking it out for sure. I don't know how I missed this on 48 Hours - I watch that show all the time! LOL.

I can't see the self-defence theory working for her, given that she's already changed her story twice, once they said they had evidence to prove she was there at the time of the crime. I actually laughed when she said on 48 Hours that she was able to grab her purse, which must have been conveniently beside her when she was attacked, and ran out of the house. Then again, on 48 Hours, when the police came to question/arrest her, she asked if she had time to get her purse - for what, so she could put makeup on for her mug shot? Her mug shot is actually scary, the fact that she's smiling in it, sends chills up my spine, so I can understand why people are so taken with her demeanour, because it is very odd and she speaks with this type of self-confidence that people are going to let her off, why, because she thinks she's so attractive?

I know at the end of the 48 Hours segment her lawyer said that she would look at an insanity plea, though I don't see her being insane or having any type of mental condition that would get her off. There was a recent case in Canada that I was angry about when a man on a greyhound bus decapitated a very young man, and he won't even go to trial, because he was found not criminally responsible. The only good thing that came out of that, is that this man will spend the rest of his life in a mental health facility, because no one would stake their reputation on saying that he's now fine.

I think we can safely discard an insanity plea, But I am going to read the case minutes and post the very limited details. Her lawyer is a woman named Maria Schaffer from the PDO, another PDO was assigned as second chair in December. Judge is also a woman.
http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/JOnamesearch.asp?casenumber=CR2008031021#

Couple of other things I am unclear on;

Was her blood co-mingled with his in that handprint? I seem to recall reading that she had little cuts on her arms when she arrived in Utah, but I think it was on a comment board, so that is not fact.

When did she become the owner of what she says was a 9mm? She could try to say she needed it for protection against Travis, when in reality it could speak to pre-meditation. What about the knife, heard very little about it, I don't believe it came from the home?

I wonder if there are phone records between the two leading up to the days prior to the murder. Will she say Travis was calling her and begging for her to come to Mesa? Were there emails? That trip was one or two days after the murder, would Travis even have time to spend with Jodi? Seems to me he would be busy getting ready to go.

I think we can safely discard an insanity plea, But I am going to read the case minutes and post the very limited details. Her lawyer is a woman named Maria Schaffer from the PDO, another PDO was assigned as second chair in December. Judge is also a woman.

Was her blood co-mingled with his in that handprint? I seem to recall reading that she had little cuts on her arms when she arrived in Utah, but I think it was on a comment board, so that is not fact

Her DNA was co-mingled with his in the palmprint. Her hands had several knicks/cuts on them when she arrived in Utah. Her excuse was that she is a bartender, so her hands always have cuts. I believe she had medical tape wrapped around the cuts.

ETA: The cuts were wrapped in gauze.

Yes thank you Boyz Mum, Jeff Krotine.

Chanler, I do agree she is most likely building a self-defense alibi. However, this would be the third time she has given new or different facts. Does she/her attorney really think this is going to fly in front of a jury?
  • I was not there.
  • Ok, I was there, two intruders attacked and killed travis, tried to kill me, but allowed me to escape, I'm not sure why I did not call LE.
  • I was there, Travis became jealous when he found out I was on my way to meet another man and attacked me. I defended myself.
Another factor, was she traveling with a gun in her purse? Did she routinely carry a firearm? She claimed to own a gun but had never fired one. The gun she owned was a 9mm, NOT a .25 cal. The 9mm mysteriously went missing the day she was arrested in Yreka. Wonder if there was paperwork on that 9mm? If not, I am going to say the gun she owned was actually a .25 cal. The timing is important, she mentioned a CHP in Yreka offered to take her to the range and teach her to shoot. Was this after Travis was murdered? Did that CHP Officer ever actually SEE this 9mm HG?

Hi, Knox; I couldn't agree more. Many young suspects, innocent and guilty, get themselves into deeper trouble by talking before they compose themselves. Jodi is a worst case example: From the press conference soon after her arrest to these mutually exclusive stories, she has clearly taken charge of her own case. She likes to talk; perhaps it's significant that she fell in love with Travis after she had seen speaking in public, which is not the way that most of us become infatuated with our loved ones.

It should be noted, however, that it's not certain that all or any of her interviews would be admitted into evidence.

Your comments on the gun are, pardon the metaphor, a bull's-eye. For the prosecution, the question of premeditation might benefit greatly by establishing in any way that Jodi brought a weapon with her.

The police indicated that the gun was used first and then, that failing, Travis was stabbed again and again and again. I would imagine that Jodi's plan was a simple one-bullet execution, but shots to the head don't always work and it seems like Travis put up a hell of a battle. (The cuts to Jodi's hands that witnesses apparently saw were probably incidental to the fight for the gun or knife.) If he had succumbed instantly, her police problems would be considerably lessened; everybody might still suspect her, but she probably would have been less rattled and more likely to have left a tidier crime scene and taken her camera with her.

Her DNA was co-mingled with his in the palmprint. Her hands had several knicks/cuts on them when she arrived in Utah. Her excuse was that she is a bartender, so her hands always have cuts. I believe she had medical tape wrapped around the cuts.

Hi, Indianagirl. Two notes:

First, I think that the police said that her DNA and blood were found elsewhere in the crime scene too. Supporting evidence, though not necessarily the slam dunk of the palm print.

Second, being a bartender would not play well in Mormon Mesa. (LDS gospel offers specific prohibitions against both alcohol and tobacco.) Another reason that Jodi wasn't marriage material.

• 09/09/08 Looks like a GJ was convened. Case moved to downtown location in Phoenix. PDO to represent Jodi.
  • 09/11/08 Not Guilty Arrainment, miscellaneous motions for pre-trial case management conference.
  • 09/19/08 Maria Schaffer PDO assigned, defendant's request for motion to extend rule 12.9 deadline granted. Definition of 12.9; the defendant can file a timely motion to extend thereby preserving the right to raise a grand jury challenge at a later date.
  • 09/19/08 Extend deadline request, defendant has not been able to obtain a copy of the GJ transcripts. Needs more time to review.
  • 10/06/08 Rescheduled case management conference.
  • 10/22/08 Defense presents joint management case plan and files same, schedule case management conference. Time constraints outlined.
  • 12/18/08 Capital case status conference, 2nd chair defense councel appears. Case status discussed, The Court notes that a Capital Case Mitigation Discovery (Special) Master has not been
    appointed in this matter. The Court refers this matter to the Presiding Criminal Judge, Judge Baca, to assign this matter to a Capital Case Mitigation Discovery (Special) Master. Misc. case management timelines outlined.
  • 01/07/09 Capital case mitigation master assigned.
  • 01/12/09 Ex-parte status mitigation review conference with Master.
  • 02/10/09 Status of case discussed. Defense counsel makes an oral request to waive Defendant’s presence at the next Capital Case Management Conference. Denied the oral request. The Court intends on setting disclosure dates and trial dates at the next hearing. If the Defendant requests to waive her presence at any future hearings, Defense counsel shall file a written request. Time deadlines outlined.
  • 02/18/09 Mitigation master conducts a mitigation status conference. Judge Duncan is advised that the mitigation work is progressing. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED sealing the record of today’s status conference, not to be transcribed without further court order.
  • 03/05/09 Because of expressed concerns about possible violation of victim’s rights by holding ex parte mitigation status conferences, mitigation master is relieved of any further duties. Assigned Judge will be responsible for oversight and management of mitigation issues.
  • 03/25/09 Discussion held for defendant's motion for specific discovery, no objection from the State. Motion granted State shall disclose the items within 10 days. There is four pages, too long to transcribe http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/032009/m3638510.pdf
  • 04/22/09 State has a motion to continue case management conference, granted.​
  • 05/18/09 Upon review of the Court file, the Court could not determine whether IQ Testing and/or Competency Screening had been previously ordered. Tests ordered.
  • 05/22/09 Defense counsel presents to the Court Defendant’s Pro Per Motion to Change Counsel. Discussion is held. Based on the discussions held on this date, IT IS ORDERED that Defense counsel, Maria Schaffer, shall meet with Defendant to discuss the issues raised in the Motion. Discussion is held re: Items listed under No. 3 of the Joint Case Management Plan. Discussion is held re: Court’s minute entry dated May 18, 2009 regarding IQ Testing and competency Screening. The Court notes that Defense counsel objects to the IQ Testing and Competency Screening. Misc. case management deadlines.​
  • 06/16/09 The Court has received Defendant’s Request for Determination of Probable Cause on Alleged Aggravating Factor. IT IS ORDERED setting Status Conference on July 17, 2009 at 11:30 a.m. in this division. On the Court’s own motion,
    IT IS ORDERED sealing Defendant’s Pro Per Motion; same not to be opened without
    prior Order of the Court.​
Halfway through I figured out how to copy and paste, then format :doh:​

Minutes don't really give us anything to ponder except; Wonder why Jodi asked (05/22/09) to change counsel?

Was her blood co-mingled with his in that handprint? I seem to recall reading that she had little cuts on her arms when she arrived in Utah, but I think it was on a comment board, so that is not fact.

When did she become the owner of what she says was a 9mm? She could try to say she needed it for protection against Travis, when in reality it could speak to pre-meditation. What about the knife, heard very little about it, I don't believe it came from the home?

I wonder if there are phone records between the two leading up to the days prior to the murder. Will she say Travis was calling her and begging for her to come to Mesa? Were there emails? That trip was one or two days after the murder, would Travis even have time to spend with Jodi? Seems to me he would be busy getting ready to go.

Hi, Knox. The phone records will definitely form part of the case; perhaps on both sides. The prosecution will try to establish that Jodi was obsessed with Travis and contacting him repeatedly. The defense will attempt to show that the relationship was two-way, which I actually suspect was probably true. I think that Travis enjoyed having a flirtatious, if not always well defined relationship with this attractive young woman.

On a point that you brought up earlier: You noted that Jodi said that she experienced insecurity, but not jealousy and that Travis was sometimes jealous, but that flattered her. To me, that sounds like the "oh, the pleasure, oh the pain" sexual tension commonly experienced by couples in "open relationships." (I've always thought that readers of vampire novels feed off this kind of exquisitely painful sexual drama.)

Minutes don't really give us anything to ponder except; Wonder why Jodi asked (05/22/09) to change counsel?

My guess is that Jodi doesn't like what her lawyer is telling her. From her reading list, Jodi thinks that positive thinking creates positive results and her counsel is almost certainly telling her that she's headed for Death Row unless she gets it together. Her lawyer might even be recommending a guilty plea.

Hi, Indianagirl. Two notes:

First, I think that the police said that her DNA and blood were found elsewhere in the crime scene too. Supporting evidence, though not necessarily the slam dunk of the palm print.

Second, being a bartender would not play well in Mormon Mesa. (LDS gospel offers specific prohibitions against both alcohol and tobacco.) Another reason that Jodi wasn't marriage material.

Hi, Chanler!
In the detective's interview, he said the evidence they had consisted of blood, hair fibers, and fingerprints. However, he wasn't specific about the evidence.

I agree that Jodi didn't appear to be marriage material, esp. in the Mormon faith. I'm curious about her relationship past. I wonder if she had any other obsessive relationships.

Hi, Chanler!
In the detective's interview, he said the evidence they had consisted of blood, hair fibers, and fingerprints. However, he wasn't specific about the evidence.

I agree that Jodi didn't appear to be marriage material, esp. in the Mormon faith. I'm curious about her relationship past. I wonder if she had any other obsessive relationships.

Hi Indianagirl, can you give me the link to the detective interview? Love your avatar : )

;) Thanks! I think I need to keep notes on this case to keep myself organized, my retention is nil on some of this stuff.

;) Thanks! I think I need to keep notes on this case to keep myself organized, my retention is nil on some of this stuff.

I think people need to quit killing people- I can't follow all these cases. (It sounds like solid reasoning, doesn't it?)

Jodi signed his legacy guestbook

http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookID=193385020375&page=15

June 14, 2008
Travis, what can I say to you that I haven't already said? I am so grateful for the endless hours of conversation and amazing experiences we've shared. Thank you for having the courage to share the Gospel with me. You've had one of the greatest impacts on my life, and have forever altered it's course for the better. I love you, my friend, and always will.
~ Jodi Arias, Yreka, California

I found these comments on a facebook page in Travis' memory.

"Travis would want Jodi to get the death penalty. If you don't think so, you didn't know Travis. He was king death penalty. A week before she killed him, he told her she was a fraud and an evil, horrible person (among MANY other things). He told her he knew she slashed his tires, and stole his journals. Just thought you all should know. MY OPINION, based on way more EVIDENCE, that they didn't have time to report on 48 hours (and it would take away from the "Mystery" of “48 Hours Mystery”) is that she did it regardless of what a court says."

There's more at link (last 3 comments on the page)

http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id...&page=2&hash=0305f9c9ccd92b95636494bc08e81660

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member