trial day 33: the defense continues its case in chief #96

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Juan gets recross, and then gets to question Samuels yet again after the jury questions.

thx, i remember it was at the judge's discretion whether he got to re-cross JA bc she wasn't his witness so wondered if it was different with experts. I'm glad to hear he gets another go..as much as I want it to move along...

I am rewatching the end of JW's attempt to rehabilitate her expert witness. After leading him around by his nose she was able to get him to say certain specific words in an attempt to clean up past errors. But I don't think the jury will suddenly see him as an intelligent, credible Doctor all of a sudden.

He seems like a nice guy,maybe a compassionate counselor. But surely no match for Jodi.

His overall assessment is that she is a meek young lady with no self esteem, and she is not aggressive and is a life long pacifist?

Dr. Samuels' "expert" testimony regarding his evaluation of a pathological liar causes me to recall when I was legal guardian for my SIL, who had been diagnosed with acute mental illness as well as borderline personality disorder. At one point, an intervention by a behavioral psychologist was suggested, as their therapy is often effective with borderlines.

After the initially prescribed six sessions, the behaviorist contacted me to ask whether I would approve of additional sessions, which would not have been paid for by insurance. She related how she was working with my SIL to examine several 'traumas' which she had experienced in previous years. Having known my SIL since she was 10 years old, I was aware that all the so-called 'traumas' never occurred and the therapist had wasted six sessions discussing episodes that were totally fabricated. Following our conversation, the psychologist discontinued treatment.

It's beyond my comprehension that "Quack" Samuels could draw any significant conclusions without verifying that nothing Jodi was telling him was the truth. What a pathetic excuse for a mental health professional!

Mr. BDE

~~IMO~~

I don't think Willmott and Nurmi are doing a bad job considering the subject they have to deal with. They will have won if their client is not committed to death row. Jodi's in a controlled environment with them right now and still obviously a horror of a client.

I can only imagine how horrid Jodi was when the attorneys were privately meeting with their client for the trial prep.

In the beginning, Jodi wanted to act as her own attorney.

Nurmi has tried like crazy to be removed from this case.

Juror question! (from me): You insinuated that when someone is lying, their story stays the same and when they are telling the truth the story tends to change as details are added. But wouldn't it stand to reason that if someone were telling the truth, their story would never change, no matter what and no matter who was questioning them?

I hope the jurors heard that idiot statement. I had to listen twice couldn't believe my ears. NUTS!!!!

I'm watching the trial from this afternoon and made this during a lengthy sidebar.

meeting.jpg

I question how much impact she'll really have when she's queried on behaviors exhibited by Jodi extremely consistent with an abusive personality. When she's questioned about very common markers in abusers totally missing from Travis' personality. And when she's pushed to the wall over how to explain her seeming willingness to totally dismiss abusive behaviors on the part of the defendant. It is a lot for the jury to get past in order for her to have an impact. And while the entire list may not make it into evidence, this jury has already called Jodi out on controlling behaviors, the hallmark of abusers.

Behaviors consistent with an abusive personality...

Jodi:
Moved to Mesa after their relationship ended - pursuit in a very classical sense.
Slashed the tires on his car - damage to personal property.
Sent a 'warning' email to a prospective girlfriend.
Snooped through his text messages.
Stalked him repeatedly.
In my opinion, very likely cyber stalked him.
Consistently violated boundaries of personal privacy.
Snooped through his online accounts.
Knew his ATM pin # and garage access code.
Dismissed his voiced concerns over them having sex.
Showed evidence of high manipulation through their phone recording.
Isolated Travis in the not so classical sense that because of their sex life, Travis would have been unable to confide the reality of their relationship to many.
Threatened suicide as emotional blackmail.

Behaviors inconsistent with an abusive personality:
Encouraging Jodi to date other people.
Not escalating the relationship to a more serious nature very, very quickly.
No evidence of stalking or harassing Jodi once she moved back to Yreka.
No escalation of violence according to testimony on direct.
No isolation of Jodi - this doesn't mean keeping her from 'his' friends - it means systematically shutting down her every 'outside' resource, sometimes to even include work and family.
No evidence of financial abuse - instead he was lending her money.
Nothing to prove incessant emails, non-stop text messages, or constant phone calls on Travis' part.
No outward evidence of jealousy on Travis' end. Not rising to the level I would expect from an abuser, anyway.
No testimony from friends or family, in court or elsewhere, to indicate an easily triggered temper, impatience, possessiveness, etc.
No proof he circumvented her movements - she didn't live with him and he even lent her his car.
Didn't fly into a rage over a ruined BMW.
Seemingly actively tried to help Jodi on many fronts.

Excellent points made, Brits Kate!.. and IMO they are all spot on as well as they are all glaringly apparent.. lets hope the jury is at the very least making mental notes listing such glaringly obvious facts that indicate that Jodi was the aggressor through and through WRT to the relationship and situations surrounding her and Travis..

Also I wanted to say that IMO even the text messages that the defense actually entered into evidence and cherry picked for dissection of to attempt to show Travis' mean, nasty, and abusive behavior toward Jodi.. IMO even those cherry picked communications from Travis came across as absolutely level headed, diplomatic, and even IMO kindness in such a way that was so undeserving toward Jodi..

Even his statements calling her out on her lies came across as extremely level headed and diplomatic in nature.. IMO even indicating a level of maturity that was way past in light years in comparison to Jodi's.. his saying that he did not want to end up genuinely disliking her as a person and asking that she please not continue with the actions/behaviors that would lead to his coming to dislike her immensely..

i know I'm not at all doing it justice in what I'm attempting to relay about Travis' qualities as a person even when being negatively impacted by such vile individual such as Jodi.. he still handled and spoke to her in a way that his even temper, good nature, and kind soul beamed through his words to her..and again these are THE WORST, MOST NEGATIVE COMMUNICATIONS THAT THE DEFENSE WAS USING..yet IMO even with the defense attempt at twisting Travis' words into abusive threats, the fact that Travis was the complete and total opposite of that attempted portrayal was evident throughout ..

i just sincerely hope that the jury is seeing these truths as well..

I should have snipped for space, but I couldn't decide what to cut! Both brilliant posts, thanks so much.

The thanks button wasn't enough for these so I'm bumping them.

Wonder why Nurmi didn't do the questioning?

Clearly JW was in a bad mood today....

I am rewatching the end of JW's attempt to rehabilitate her expert witness. After leading him around by his nose she was able to get him to say certain specific words in an attempt to clean up past errors. But I don't think the jury will suddenly see him as an intelligent, credible Doctor all of a sudden.

He seems like a nice guy,maybe a compassionate counselor. But surely no match for Jodi.

His overall assessment is that she is a meek young lady with no self esteem, and she is not aggressive and is a life long pacifist?

UBM

Proof positive that the good doc's cheese has slid off his cracker. If he thinks that comment didn't hit the ground like a safe, he's as deluded as the murderer is.

About as offensive a comment as "TA passed away" or comparing JA's state of mind to that of a combat veteran. So much squirrel gumbo in that guy it's unreal. :notgood:

Average temp in June in Mesa is over 100 degrees. Wearing a hoodie, sweater, anything like that, might draw attention. I don't see her doing that.

That was probably only her "murder suit" which she removed immediately after getting Travis' body back into the shower. I cannot believe she would have worn it outdoors.

MOO

Wonder why Nurmi didn't do the questioning?

Clearly JW was in a bad mood today....

Didn't Willmott do the direct questioning? It is customary for only one attorney to question a witness.

:)

She probably wore it during the commission of the crime, then took all her bloody clothes off in the home, tossed them in a plastic bag and changed her clothes/cleaned herself up before leaving the house. MOO

Agree. and a hoodie with a big pocket would allow her to hide the knife/gun...and also protect her somewhat in a fight. And don't forget...she was coming from Northern Calif. where it is cooler in June. Even Los Angeles has some cool nights (and days, if it is foggy) in June...

Oh I dont know about that (Him not being a match for Jodi). He is paid to make the defendant look as good as possible, he even advertises his self for sale on his web site to the same effect. I think a good psychologist/psychiatrist would see right through her honestly. When we see Juan and her spar in court I can tell she is far from a pacifist and I dont know of wall flowers who stand at a door and listen to peoples conversations, or crawl through doggy doors, or wait in peoples closets or just show up when ever they want etc. That takes a LOT of nerve more nerve than the average person has. What is that? Its not pacifist behavior..to me that is stalking behavior and far from a shy wall flower pacifist.

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority but man I feel bad for Nurmi and Willmott. What a debacle to be thrown into, and just when they thought it couldn't get worse, along comes this dimwitted imbecile, who they thought to be an expert, to further embarrass their professional names. That's got to be rough.

hate to say it, they hired him!:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members