Trial Discussion Thread #14 - 14.03.28, Day 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why do they need a week if someone is sick? Did I miss something (sorry, I'm terribly tired).

Thanks,

Mel

Maybe that is his projected date of healing?

lol I have no idea why they would take a whole week off for illness.

My husband watched a BBC news interview this morning with someone legal in South Africa Who said that Nel had done a good job so far .
For those of you in South Africa would you agree with this statement ?
I didn't see it myself but no doubt it will be broadcast again .
I'm not sure as I'm no legal expert but I think he could have done more to strengthen his case. For one, I don't know how he couldn't have discussed timelines with the witnesses he called before they got on the stand when many of them heard gunshots after 3 and then made his case being Reeva was shot dead at the 3.17 mark. To me, it looks like he didn't really go over their statements unless he has something explosive to throw into the works still to come.

The problem with trial during April, which is why I think it was originally supposed to end on 4th and resume in may is because we have a ton of long weekends, public holidays etc coming up. Some weeks in April are only 3 working days, holiday on 1st may and again on 7 th may for elections.

I think some are confused on this. They were only going to take one week off in April and then resume and go until May 16. Not pick up again in May. That's how I understand it.

I'm not sure as I'm no legal expert but I think he could have done more to strengthen his case. For one, I don't know how he couldn't have discussed timelines with the witnesses he called before they got on the stand when many of them heard gunshots after 3 and then made his case being Reeva was shot dead at the 3.17 mark. To me, it looks like he didn't really go over their statements unless he has something explosive to throw into the works still to come.

Thanks I was thinking that until I read Lisa's information this morning and then co incidentally my husband watched the report on the BBC.
Comments from South Africa itself seem the best to listen to because they understand and know there own system and law .
I sometimes get clouded because I have more knowledge of the UK system but am not legally qualified

Maybe that is his projected date of healing?

lol I have no idea why they would take a whole week off for illness.

Thanks. I think I read that the gentleman on the right of Mi Lady is sick (or is it the left - LOL) and needs a week off to recoop.

The court assessors – one of whom is ill, forcing a postponement of the trial – are legal experts appointed by Judge Thokozile Masipa to assist in the trial. There is no jury.

As Masipa said today, without both assessors the court is not "properly constituted", and so the trial cannot proceed.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/28/oscar-pistorius-trial-friday-28-march-live

Mel

I forgot it was Friday today. :(

And the court session got cancelled. Phew. :)

Oh, I'm quite sure he discussed everything with his witnesses in detail. He knew what they were going to say. Sometimes they go a little astray while on the stand, but I don't think anybody surprised him.

I have faith. Watch and wait! It's coming...

Lol, the heartstopping moments when I tried to get a live feed going - I had about six old recordings blaring at once and my house was shaking!

Hmmm. Well I have already had my first coffee; I really wish that I had overslept today! A week delay is more than "sick" hope it is not appendicitis or something else involving surgery. OP continues to be lucky but he eventually will have to get his butt up there and face this!

Hmmm. Well I have already had my first coffee; I really wish that I had overslept today! A week delay is more than "sick" hope it is not appendicitis or something else involving surgery. OP continues to be lucky but he eventually will have to get his butt up there and face this!

I saw the Court Chatter lady talking on the Whoop feed and she had heard that the assessor may be in the hospital. If that's true, it explains the week. I wonder how they handle it if that person is not able to return. Do they have back-ups, like they do for juries?

I suppose the judge just wants to make sure she leaves enough time for the dude to get better instead of scheduling a date and having him still be sick.

I suppose it might not be any serious illness, but the court thinks it's better to delay for a week, rather than a couple of days and then risk having the person still sick?

And I even took a nice long afternoon nap knowing I would be awake at this hour. Now what? I guess I'll go watch something on you-tube :)

Mel

I suppose it might not be any serious illness, but the court thinks it's better to delay for a week, rather than a couple of days and then risk having the person still sick?

See zwiebel, once again, great minds...

I suppose the judge just wants to make sure she leaves enough time for the dude to get better instead of scheduling a date and having him still be sick.

Its the lady assessor, the one on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam