Trial Discussion Thread #35 - 14.05.08 Day 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what Roux gets paid has to do with anything, other than Oscar's pocket book and Roux's retirement plans.

Maybe because OP is paying mega$$ for the best in the land. That being the case, the DT's sad performance is probably more a reflection of the pathetic evidence that they have to work with, rather than their lack of skill. IMO they had to trawl pretty long and low to find the dodgy "experts" they needed to fill the witness stand.

I absolutely agree but on this note, just a little something I find so very sad is that, even through Oscar, we've learned so very little of the woman who was supposedly the love of his life. We know he got her birthday wrong, we know about the jealousy issues, we know she forgot to close the balcony doors and he wouldn't have shot her had she said something behind that door. Normally, its SOP for a defence to 'dehumanise' a victim but this defence has claimed they loved one another so one could presume it would be prudent to maybe tell us a bit about the woman he loved? Why he loved her? What she was like? I feel like I got to know Reeva better in a minute of Mike N's testimony than in 5 days of Oscar on the stand.

JMO

Please pardon errors as posted via Tapatalk with a less than stellar user.

(Britskate, your comment has nudged me into putting something out here for general consumption that I think about a lot. I'm not sure where I should put it so I'm hitch-hiking onto your comment. Don't worry, I don't smoke, I have no criminal record, and l'm glad to split gas costs and driving. Ha! Here goes...)
-----

Let's get real.

IMHO OP didn't love Reeva and I doubt he even cared much about her. He'd known her for only three months. She was just one more in a long line of beautiful, thin, long-haired, blonde, white women passing through the revolving door of his "love life." They were veritable clones of each other going back about four "relationships". Each of them probably dreamed about marrying him and hoped they were / tried to be "the one."

But, come on. The guy was 27 years old - a healthy, handsome, fit, famous, rich guy who had tons of women throwing themselves at him. I hardly think that as things were getting even better for him he was going to give it all up and get married to anyone.

As Nel said, it's so improbable that it cannot be reasonably, possibly true.

Fantasy and romance are for inexpensive paperbacks (ebooks?) published by Harlequin.

(Thanks for the ride!)

I know I had a little joke about Roger, but I think he's the sort of guy that won't let things affect him. He sticks to his principles which is a quality in itself.

Some of his testimony was fairly useful and may have impressed Judge Masipa, particularly in the simplistic (granted, sometimes over-simplistic) ways he described things.

Testimonies aren't all or nothing based, therefore Judge Masipa can extract whatever parts she finds useful.
Which of his testimony did you think was fairly useful, other than that of the shot to the head being last and the magazine rack ending up beneath her, which were very useful to the prosecution?

Then I presume you're in agreement that he couldn't see Reeva?

3 shots didn't hit Reeva's centre mass, and one shot missed Reeva completely.

I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other if he could see her or not. But I do have strong feelings regarding whether I believe he knew she was in there or not. He knew---and he wasn't shooting at the floor or out the window. He was shooting at the center of that door and not once, but 4 times, to make sure he hit her. When he heard her body drop to the floor and she was no longer screaming, he then stopped shooting.

Re-run of Legal round table with David O' Sullivan (OscarTrial channel 199, DSTV)

Not a verbatim transcript.

About Wolmarans:
Wolmarans is a good expert. He's a heavyweight. Very respected by his peers and the legal fraternity.
However Roux never put it to Mangena that bullet hole B did not miss. Goes against common law. Nel will use this to his advantage. Perhaps to re-open his case? Argue this?

Lundgren and Saayman:
The judge will use the opinion of the person with the most expertise. Saayman is a forensic pathologist. So when it comes to the stomach contents, Saayman's testimony will carry more weight since Lundgren, by her own admission, is a clinician, an anaesthesiologist. She stuck to her field of expertise, according to one panel member, which makes her the best defense witness so far.

Van Schalkwyk
They don't know why Roux put her on the stand.
She confirmed that Oscar never said he was sorry about what he did. Just sorry for his loss.
Nel's objection re previous consistent statement: Judge allowed it because what Oscar said after the shooting and his emotion could not be separated.
Previous consistent statement explained: If Oscar tells someone "I shot Reeva. I thought she was an intruder," right after the incident, then someone coming to court and saying: "Yes! He said exactly that to me right after the incident!" is not allowed.
So, they say, Nel should have objected to Stander's testimony.

With reference to the stomach contents of Reeva and the differing opinions of gastric emptying.
When the house was sealed off after the incident and became a crime scene someone would sooner or later have had to empty the contents of the fridge and the waste bins.
Surely the police would have noted these things!
Has it been mentioned or put into evidence that they did indeed find the packaging for chicken?
Who cleaned the dinner plates after they ate?
Did Reeva clear everything away?
So many questions left unanswered lol

I was AWOL yesterday,( long overdue band practise for a suddenly organised event) so thanks to the ever reliable Zwiebel, without whom I would be stuck listening to it all..

I was lured by the hilarious comments into listening to the social worker... where in gods name is Roux getting these dysfunctional people for the defence?>? She was a corker of blither and babble.. what the?>?

I was AWOL yesterday,( long overdue band practise for a suddenly organised event) so thanks to the ever reliable Zwiebal, without whom I would be stuck listening to it all..

I was lured by the hilarious comments into listening to the social worker... where in gods name is Roux getting these dysfunctional people for the defence?>? She was a corker of blither and babble.. what the?>?

She decided on Tuesday that since she was hearing so much negative media flak about poor delicate Oscar she thought she'd make her useless carcass available to the defense so she could get up there and speculate about stuff she wasn't qualified to speak definitively about. I think all the psychiatrists and psychologists were on a golf outing.

Thanks for the pic. I was asking yesterday whether the bat marks were higher than the bullet holes and it looks like they. That suggests that the shots were fired without prosthesis and the bat marks were made with prosthesis. Which, if what I'm reading is correct, is also consistent with the ballistics evidence today that one or more of the shots have an upward trajectory.

jmo

Does anyone know if OP could kneel with his protheses on ?

New to this group...not new to the case.
Not new to Websleuths !

She decided on Tuesday that since she was hearing so much negative media flak about poor delicate Oscar she thought she'd make her useless carcass available to the defense so she could get up there and speculate about stuff she wasn't qualified to speak definitively about. I think all the psychiatrists and psychologists were on a golf outing.

She sounded and looked like it had been a long time between drinks , if you get my drift.. not the brightest of the bunch.. I realise she was under the auspices of a court order from Oscars bail hearing, but sy was heeltemal neute, in the vernacular of your Pretorian Afrikaans.

Hmmm. Anyone else getting Glock 4th Generation ads in the right-hand column, or am I the only lucky one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24