Trial Discussion Thread #54 - 14.13.10, Day 43 ~ sentencing~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning/Good afternoon/Good Evening ;)

Does anybody see the point in the 'gun awareness' type of programme Mr Maringa mentioned yesterday? If he's not going to be able to hold a license, then why 'educate' him about them? He's already proved a training course in how to use them means nothing to him and it'll all mean even less once he's got his slap on the hand for killing his girlfriend. It's not as if he's going to be haunted by Reeva's memory so what's the point of it?

Something the social worker said yesterday had me thinking. She quite clearly got a lot of her info from the media about Reeva yet was quite happy to slate the same media's portryal of OP but thought it okay to source her info about Reeva from them.

I hope Nel's managed to do his homework on Mr Van Zyl as he seemed to bestow on awful lot of 'saintly' traits onto OP so he'll also have to deal with the negative ones he's managed to hide from the public view over the years. No doubt he'll now be well rehearsed into evading questions in the same way the social worker managed to yesterday.

Not 100%, but Yvette Van Schalkwyk rings a bell

Is this her? But the hair is similar but she has a fatter face than the one in court.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...us.google.com%2F113412507717760358418;512;512

The second witness called to the stand for the defence was Yvette van Schalkwyk, a social worker with the Department of Social Development.

Van Schalkwyk said had first met with the athlete the day after the shooting when she was called on to counsel him emotionally.

The witness said she had recently read media reports that suggested Pistorius had received acting training for his case, and this had upset her greatly.

She said this was what had caused her to come forward and testify on Pistorius's sincerity.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/surprise-witness-at-oscar-trial-1.1685303#.VDzCLrCUcwA

I hope she did and I'm glad she didn't. More to appeal.

I hoped that one of them would have read the judgement to the Correctional Services guy. I saw Nel turning pages over in what I thought could have been an attempt to find it but didn't. So why didn't Masipa tell him?

REALLY?

Anyone care to join me in encouraging them to do JUST THAT?

University of Strathclyde

Mailing address
16 Richmond Street
Glasgow G1 1XQ
Scotland, United Kingdom

Telephone
+44 (0)141 552 4400

Hours
Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm

http://www.strath.ac.uk/contact/

Often the easiest way to do this is to find out the email address and write a draft letter for us which we could edit to make it ours and then I am sure many of us would send it.

This thread will probably close as soon as I post this but what is interesting about this article from the Guardian yesterday is the comments beneath it and the high number of ratings the 'anti' Pistorius comments have received. Should be sobering reading for any member of Team Pistorius who believes that his reputation and standing have not been irreparably damaged by his killing of Reeva Steenkamp.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-arrest-sentence-suggestion#start-of-comments

I am re watching session 1 today. At the time 7:09 the expert is
Talking about her areas of expertise, She says sexual abuse and rape as the lady
assessor is listening she looks in Nels direction and then at expert then accesor put her finger under her right eye
And the expert stops talking. Did anyone else notice this? I had the feeling the expert is being assisted by the
Assessor.

I noticed that mentioning being an expert in sexual abuse and rape were not appropriate qualifications for such an expert witness to claim she had. She later corrected this and kept saying she was a trauma counsellor which is more inclusive. But maybe you are right in that if she put her finger under her right eye, to think that she had said something wrong. I must say that ever since I saw her name by marriage, Du Toit, I have speculated that this Assessor knows the Pistorius family socially through athletic connections with Natalie du Toit. I would not be surprised that this Assessor also knows MH through her professional connections. Jut like when a jury is sworn in these connections should be revealed before the trial to prevent conflict of interest.

http://www.southafrica.net/za/en/articles/entry/article-southafrica.net-natalie-du-toit

Sometimes I feel that the Assessors and the Judge might have been hand-picked either by Roux or the Pistorius family. The third Assessor has had no experience so he would not be game enough to stand up to the other two.

Barry Bateman retweeted

Mandy Wiener @MandyWiener · 24m 24 minutes ago

Well that was different. #OscarPistorius just strode into the courtroom, no bodyguards, no family, no fanfare, barely a camera shutter.

Sue Allen ‏@SuSuAllen · 22m22 minutes ago
@MandyWiener probably trying to show the Judge he can be "normal"

Karabo Moiloa ‏@KaraboMoiloa · 17m17 minutes ago
@MandyWiener is this him trying to affirm yesterday's testimony by his psychologist that he's lost everything?

Karabo Moiloa ‏@KaraboMoiloa · 17m17 minutes ago
@MandyWiener is this him trying to affirm yesterday's testimony by his psychologist that he's lost everything?

Sharlene Trewick ‏@sharlene_123 · 3m3 minutes ago
@MandyWiener yip they would have us believe he even walks on water.

Continuing the health kick - strawberry breakfast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 80
Gina's Myers' sister and mother are in court, but not Gina at the moment.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 3m 3 minutes ago

#OscarTrial Samantha Taylor just entered the court accompanied by Jared Mortimer. Will they testify for the state today? BB

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 4m 4 minutes ago

#OscarTrial Mortimer has taken up a seat behind the dock. Oscar will have to pass him to enter. Taylor is chatting to Kim Myers. BB

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 4m 4 minutes ago

#OscarTrial Oscar is still up front talking to Roux and Roxanne




Whoopwhooptvradio is talking about social media and the Oscar trial.

From Barry Bateman - the guy OP was in the recent nightclub dust-up with is in court. To testify? Really hope so.

#OscarTrial for those asking - Jared Mortimer is the person involved in the altercation with Pistorius at the VIP Lounge in Sandton. BB
Reply0 replies Retweet0 retweets Favorite0 favorites
More

Chriselda Lewis ‏@Chriseldalewis 2 mins2 minutes ago
#OscarPistorius BREAKING: Samantha Taylor's mother is expected to be one of the State's witnesses in aggravation of sentence. #sabcnews

There's a couple of big enemies in the courtroom today. Both Jared and Marc Batchelor have links with baaaad people in the underworld. They have long memories too.

Chriselda Lewis ‏@Chriseldalewis 2 mins2 minutes ago
#OscarPistorius BREAKING: Sam Taylor's mother is expected to reveal on the stand details about OP's relationship with her daughter #sabcnews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998