Trial Discussion Thread #57 - 14.16.10, Day 46 ~ sentencing~

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! This case is weird to say the least..

So for a prison to be WORTHY of Pistorius it should be like a hotel..maybe even a 5 star hotel..with room service..spa bathtubs..how about a safe where he can store ammunition without the intention of possessing it? :banghead:

Exactly. This whole prison thing sounds awful and inhumane. I guess we better let everyone out, not just Oscar. If the judge buys this crap I think I may have an aneurysm.

Isn't it snowing? I'm from Lithgow and have been bombarded with pics from friends and rellies of their white backyards. Anyway good morning all from a not so sunny Balkans. Jilly - the below is my response to your question re the Dershowitz article - I replied to you and then the thread was immediately closed!

I'm not agreeing with Dershowitz - my point was it seems he is wrong on SA law. All along legal experts from there have been saying that even if OP didn't know it was her behind the door he could still be found guilty of murder (eventualis) if the court accepted he had intent to kill the 'intruder'. Maybe Dershowitz is thinking along US lines but in SA you can't just shoot someone even if they are an intruder in your home so I don't know why he states 'if OP didn't know it was RS than it's innocent self-defence' as that's not necessarily the case. I think he's just a big name American lawyer who wanted to have his two-bobs worth and commented without really knowing the law in the jurisdiction he was talking about.

The PT did enough to convince me when you look at the evidence in totality (earwitnesses, stomach contents and other pathology aspects, ballistics, crime scene photos, defendent's lies) but I guess if you pick those apart one by one (or in the judge's case seemingly ignore the 'tricky' ones) and add to that the 'beyond reasonable doubt' aspect then maybe they didn't. Most legal analysts seemed to think they hadn't for premeditated but had done way enough for dolus eventualis. So I cannot understand a ruling that says an experienced gun owner who knew all the laws relating to his gun use and still fired four black talons bullets into a tiny space could not have known he would likely kill the person in that space, making him guilty of shooting with intent to kill. All three of the four that hit her could have been fatal and IMO there is no doubt whatsoever that he knew that would be the result.

I strongly agree. That was my reaction, too. I live in the US and have been following Dershowitz for most of his career. I appreciated the link very much and was quite interested to read what he had to say on this verdict.

As an aside, it may be worth noting that for those interested, that, where he had been greatly respected professionally years ago, that opinion changed 180 degrees over recent decades. He is now considered a shameless self-promoter, attention-seeker, and general blowhard. So, I was hardly surprised that he seemed to be "lazy," using US law to "analyze" a SA case.

Again, thanks to the original commenter who shared the link!!!

I 'm just now posting. I had other things to do today and feel like I'm slowly disconnecting from this trial, so saw no rush. (If there's an appeal, I will instantly and 100% Reconnected.) I hardly wanted to hear Roux doing the cross on cousin, Kim.

I had some time, now, and thought, "Oh, well. What the heck. I'll see what happened today."

Googled "Pistorius" and WHAM!!! up comes the "*advertiser censored** Y**" allegedly being mouthed to Aimee and all he!! breaking loose!!!!!

GOOD GRIEF. Just when I think things are winding down something truly WILD comes out of the blue (30-days mental health eval./ nonsensical verdict, etc). I'm not yet sure whether OP storming out and Aimee's reaction to the allegation was caught on camera but I DO HOPE SO!! I'd LOVE to see that action!!!

Anyway, I'm going through the today's trial from the beginning, so have some time to find out.

Can't wait to get there and read all of YOUR comments.

You can't make this stuff up.

A letter to OP from Ari Seirlis, CEO of the QuadPara Association of South Africa (QASA)

"Mr Pistorius, the greatest contribution you can make for those with disabilities will be in prison. So show the country that you are the great man you said you were – take your punishment, and make prison a place where disabilities are well accommodated.

When we transgress, and break the law, we must accept the appropriate punishment, too. We do not want special laws for people with disabilities just because one OP killed his girlfriend. And now you, the very same person who bragged about fighting your way into the Olympic arena, which you thought was greater than the Paralympic arena, are desperately trying to find a way of doing community service in the disability sector and community.

You must also show your colours in the correctional services arena. JAIL.

We do not want you doing community service in our sector. You profess to have inspired the disability sector and constituency. A referendum would prove you wrong. Your arrogance has never been embraced by us. Your achievements have only fed your own ego. Your definition of philanthropy is giving away an old pair of Nikes and a scratched pair of Oakleys, mixing with people with disabilities whilst cameras flash; giving away your signature."

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opin...you-can-still-make-a-difference/#.VECTm7CUcwC

Good morning from the grey, drizzly south of England.

I would have brought some breakfast to share, but other countries offerings always look so much nicer than our soggy cornflakes.

Should be an interesting day today!

How about some Lemon Mousse?

Kim Robinson ‏@Kimbelshanks 11m11 minutes ago
So clearly the #Pistorius Family is scared of #MikeySchultz, yet their brother #OscarPistorius killed #ReevaSteenkamp in cold blood.

This is a powerful witness and a big boost to Nels case

To me, it's going to be another thing people are going to "go off on" JM about, if she doesn't give him of a good dose prison time. At least it will be for me.

Every negative has been addressed - by the BIGGEST enchilada in SA prisons!!!. There will be NO reason NOT to send him.

Do I think she will?

No.

I used to date a guy who had a prosthetic arm which had various attachments - a hook, a hand and a ball and socket thing to assist with driving. He told me at the time that as the prosthetic is a replacement body part, they weren't allowed to take the prosthetic away if he ever landed in prison. The hook always looked dangerous so I was a bit surprised at that info but if he used the hook as a weapon, that could then be taken away but it would be replaced with the hand attachment. This is in the UK though so I was a bit surprised when Abu Hamza had his hooks taken off him when he was extradited to the USA as I thought they'd be the same regarding prosthetics.

WS is so cool. There's almost NOTHING that can be encountered in these cases that someone here doesn't have personal and/or professional experience with. Amazing!! Thanks, Kaos.

WOW! This case is weird to say the least..

So for a prison to be WORTHY of Pistorius it should be like a hotel..maybe even a 5 star hotel..with room service..spa bathtubs..how about a safe where he can store ammunition without the intention of possessing it? :banghead:

In his extra 5 star hotel there has to be a quick service around the dinner table, otherwise OP is becoming agitated, which maybe the starting point for a shootout.

Gawd, I wish the Insipid Masipa would just go ahead and give out her sentence tomorrow! I mean, this woman says she is too busy for indulgences! So let's get down to brass tacks and be done with her as soon as possible.

General observations:

Head of Prison talking.

Weird look on Lois' face.

OP glances up for a moment... very faint quick smirk

OP immediately looks down... jaw clench.

I'm a bit worried. I bet Roux has endless examples of bad situations in prison (which exist in every country in the world) - so I hope this witness remains resolute.

At least we do know that Masipa is not against prison per se...she gave that rapist 250 years...but it remains to be seen whether she can bring herself to lock up her golden boy.

Bet Roux will bring up Dewani being in another facility -- mental health hospital.

BUT the key is the UK approved the SA >> prison << for after his trial and possible sentencing as an inmate.

about 2:26:00 /2:28:00

Nel says, very seriously, that something is not funny after the gallery laughs.

JM continues to smile with humor, herself. WTF????? VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, I think!!

Then Roux leans over to the googly-eyed with the thick glasses and can barely keep himself from breaking out in a huge laugh.

WTF???

Du Toit (sp?) has looked completely apathetic and unprofessional today.

It REALLY riles me.

Also, Suzanne (?) was very smiley, again, at the beginning. That is SO wrong!!

A letter to OP from Ari Seirlis, CEO of the QuadPara Association of South Africa (QASA)

"Mr Pistorius, the greatest contribution you can make for those with disabilities will be in prison. So show the country that you are the great man you said you were &#8211; take your punishment, and make prison a place where disabilities are well accommodated.

When we transgress, and break the law, we must accept the appropriate punishment, too. We do not want special laws for people with disabilities just because one OP killed his girlfriend. And now you, the very same person who bragged about fighting your way into the Olympic arena, which you thought was greater than the Paralympic arena, are desperately trying to find a way of doing community service in the disability sector and community.

You must also show your colours in the correctional services arena. JAIL.

We do not want you doing community service in our sector. You profess to have inspired the disability sector and constituency. A referendum would prove you wrong. Your arrogance has never been embraced by us. Your achievements have only fed your own ego. Your definition of philanthropy is giving away an old pair of Nikes and a scratched pair of Oakleys, mixing with people with disabilities whilst cameras flash; giving away your signature."

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opin...you-can-still-make-a-difference/#.VECTm7CUcwC

I liked that article! Out of the 10 comments 4 were hateful enough to make a reader suspect OP's team wrote them.

You are probably right and this Scultz sounds like a tool and a (and he's a self-confessed killer). I think his actions (if as reported) are entirely inappropriate but I also feel that so was OP's comment to Gina Myers so they are even now.

Coming in late on this, it seems, from up lost comment, like MS said/thought the Pistorius clan owned the front row. I think AP said or did something - just a look maybe, or he thinks she gave him a look - causing him to immediately get up and leave, saying say *advertiser censored** YOU!

My take on this is that OP stalked out because he KNOWS that his life - and the LIVES of ALL the Pistorius' family (including Aimee) are going to be a living h*ll from here on out, cause of the verdict, etc.

Pariah city.

Nel made, what I thought was a pointed comment yesterday, something like - the court sentences have to fit the crime otherwise the public takes matters into their own hands. That's EXACTLY what's going to happen on the outside.

If I were OP, I'd tell Roux to go beg JM for a 15 year no parole sentence to spare his family - and himself - from what's coming.

This is just a LITTLE taste!!!

Hope JM witnessed him stalking out and running away. Probably not. She'll probably assume he was running to get a milkshake before the ice cream counter closed for the day, which she will think is understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth