Trial Discussion Thread #58 - 14.17.10, Day 47 ~ sentencing~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petitioning Oscar Pistorius' Defense and All Humanity...

"Stand with me for Oscar Pistorius. Show the world that our society is governed by compassion and humanity, not retribution and hatred."

456 Supporters

http://www.change.org/p/oscar-pisto...&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

IMO this is a deplorable use of the change.org site. If the Pistorians can easily access and make use of change.org for this purpose, then it discredits that organisation IMO. Not a good move change.org IMO.

Another attempt at influencing public/social media opinions.
Remember OP killed someone. He shot 4 black tallon bullets through a locked toilet door, shattered her hip and arm; her brains were 'blown out'.
Hypothetically, there are many who believe this was close to an execution, convoluted into manslaughter with legal 'sanitizing'. My opinion only.

Based on your logic it's just about as reasonable to say the two sets of sounds were 1) Bat strikes 2) Unknown. Not that reasonable in my view. But anyway. As you know, the determination of which came first did not depend on sound, so your logical leap on the certainty that can or can't flow from that is irrelevant. I only addressed the screaming that was testified to occuring during and slightly after the second sounds. It's not an assumption that Reeva was shot through a closed door in the toilet. It's not an assumption that the state's case is that Reeva was shot at around 3:17 and that it was her screaming at that time. What is a wild assumption is that prying out a panel necessarily made no sound(!). This is exactly what I mean. There is virtually nothing you said here that is relevant and not at least slightly non-sensical.

Bottom line is that the state's testimony is that the door was broken through with a bat strike and that the wedged bat was levered to split apart the panels and break the door. Many, many people haves substituted their own judgement for that with no basis in reason. I'm still waiting for somebody, anybody to explain why their judgement should be accepted over the state's own witness, the defence witnesses and, yes, Pistorius' unchanged story on this aspect of events.

Hi June

Firstly, I wasn't listing gunshots and bat sounds in the order I think they occured...although it does look like that. Apologies. I was very tired last night. I just meant...two sets ouf sounds, one set certainly gunshots, the other possibly the cricket bat.

With no evidence to clue us in, we have no reliable way of determining which set came first, because to the only witnesses they sounded identical. Plus, there is actually no forensic or scientific way of knowing either.

All we know for certain is:

OP fired 4 shots
Reeva was behind the door when he did
A panel was prised out of the door after the gunshots

That's it.

Every other part of your theory is assumption.

Yes, the State said "around 3.17". That was because Mrs Stipp's clock said that time when she heard them, so that's how they were identified...and this separated them from the earlier bangs.

Bottom line...the State does not know what time the shots were fired, because the State was not there.

There seems to be this idea that if the State cannot using their gift of second sight to tell us all exactly what happened that night, then they have somehow failed. This is daft. One living person was there and he doesn't seem inclined to tell the truth, so we will never know.

All we have is a jumble of witness testimony that simply does not fit together. Not even the defence can allign the testimony of Johnson & Stipp, which is why they demeaned themselves by calling Dr Stipp a liar.

So the only logical, reasonable POV currently is agnosticism....we don't know. Frustrating, but that's where we're at.

There are some things we do know, however.....

The four people who heard a woman screaming also heard a man's voice at the same time. All of them. This is massively significant.

The other witnesses who used the word "crying" only heard one voice, and almost all of them said it was unmistakably male.

It stretches the bounds of all credibility to suggest that one distinct set of witnesses were simultaneously making exactly the same mistakes in what they were hearing, while another set were doing the same but with a different mistake.

I would also like to add that, with regard to the smashed in bath panel, you are logically wrong to dismiss it as irrelevant. It is neutral evidence - yet another big question mark. It is therefore just as likely to be extremely significant as it is to be totally irrelevant. We don't know.

To be clear, I am not saying you are wrong, we are right. You may well be bang on the money - gun/oscar screams like a girl in two distinct tones/bat. But equally, you might not.

The evidence does not exist to prove it one way or the other.

I don't know specifically what happened that night...but looking at the evidence in it's totality, I don't believe Pistorius. I think the female screams were female and the male cries were male. I don't believe the police tampered with the scene before photographing it, I do believe that his phone was on charge in the kitchen.

All of these things prove that he is a liar.

For those asking how long court will be in session today

Barry Bateman ‏@barrybateman 1m1 minute ago
#OscarTrial Judge Thokozile Masipa is expected to take about an hour to hand down sentence. BB

The whole family......secrets and lies? Desperate attempts to keep these hidden leads to downfall?

And re.Carl - if correct- unnecessary lies at that.

I think the family are Calvinists. The majority of Calvinists do not approve of certain conduct.

I think it's a pathetic and feeble attempt at damage control. I really believe they're worried about how the vast majority everywhere in the world have turned against OP and not holding back in the slightest about their feelings. They just don't or refuse to acknowledge this publicly.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

“No man is rich enough to buy back his past.” (Oscar Wilde)

Yes, I think it must be - pretty ham fisted attempt though IMO. Keep an eye on Carl P's twitter account - he'll probably borrow that Oscar Wilde quote from you!

As far as Aimee and Carl's interviews with a biased reporter goes ...

“One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing.”
― Oscar Wilde

I love this Oscar Wilde quote too ...

“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an *advertiser censored* of yourself.”

And just to make it a trilogy, this one is for OP ...

“A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.”
― Oscar Wilde,

It's kind of a little sad (?) that this trial is essentially over in a few hours.
It's occupied so much of my time watching all the proceedings and reading about it.

David Dadic
‏@DavidDadic
The only way this matter doesn't carry on is if Osacr gets a long enough sentence to keep the state appeal at bay & he accepts it. Unlikely.

AND

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 44m 44 minutes ago
#OscarTrial if he receives a custodial sentence, the Defence is expected to appeal. BB

This part of the interview between Karyn Maughan and Aimee and Carl really annoyed me.

This part of Aimee's and Carl's interview really annoyed me:

CP: It’s difficult to own someone’s pain.

Neither OP, he nor anyone else in the family "owned" the pain felt by the Steenkamps.

KM: We saw in the final days of the trial particularly that embrace, that attempt to connect with this family and to show them love. Why is that important for you to do in the kind of atmosphere we find ourselves in?

AP: It’s an impossible situation and, you know, we could never understand or even attempt to comprehend all they are going through, but it’s important for us to know that she was very much cared for and loved and accepted as part of our family in the short time she was with us. And if you knew Reeva, you know, you didn’t need to know her for very long for her to just creep into your heart and really just … she had a wonderful charisma and zest for life that she just exuded and it was easy to just fall in love with her.

As for Aimee's words, they could never understand or even attempt to comprehend to know what the family was going through because their thoughts were never with them, only OP.

"And if you knew Reeva" ... no, they didn't. They'd only met her a couple of times so how was it that Reeva "crept into their hearts. IMO a more heartless family you'd ever wish to find.

OP had a never-ending stream of blonde model girlfriends, some of whom he'd dated for much, much longer, not to mention the ones he was having affairs with while he dated Reeva. The family may not have known about them prior to the trial but they most certainly would have known about them before this video.

No wonder millions detest not only OP but the whole Pistorius clan.

There are two differing correctional supervision guidelines are contained in sections 276 (1) (i) and (h) of the Criminal Procedure Act.

“The three year one is pure correctional supervision, nothing else.

The five year one, (276 (1) (i) of the Criminal Procedure Act) is where the judge will send him to prison for a period of five years. But the head of the prison has the discretion to release him at any time.

“Normally, he has to sit one sixth of his sentence, which means that he will be in jail for approximately 10 months and thereafter they will consider releasing him on correctional supervision,” Louw said.

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/house-arrest-or-prison-time-oscar-pistorius

Does anyone know what Uncle Arnold's relationship was like with OP and his siblings prior to OP's fame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288