trial recipe thread

Just threw this in the crock pot :) It's awesome with rice!

1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (one thigh per family member, I used chicken legs this time, that's all I had in the freezer)
3 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped (I use the minced garlic you buy)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup honey

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker ( Cook at 3 hours on high, 5 hours on low if using frozen chicken).
Put the chicken into your cooker. In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, then pour evenly over the top.
Cook on low for 8 hours if using thawed out chicken.

What is this called?

I have no idea :waitasec: it almost has a teriyaki flavor, but not quite...but I promise, it's really good :)

RE: The Teryaki Chicken recipe

This sounds good and I am going to try the recipe. Could you please clarify the cooking times? Why is the time longer for the thawed chicken pieces?

Thanks a lot. I just love easy, tasty recipes!

MOCK CHOP SUEY CASSEROLE

This was always a popular dinner. Kind of an “Americanized” version of Chinese food. Simple, but very tasty and something different to do with ground meat:

1 lb. good quality ground meat
¼ cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
½ cup uncooked white rice
2 cups boiling water
¼ cup soy sauce (I always added more of this)
1 can (5 oz.) chow mein noodles
½ cup whole or halved cashew nuts

Salt and pepper to taste (go easy on the salt because the soups are salty)
1.) Brown ground beef in skillet, using small amount of oil if needed; otherwise drain off excess fat. Combine with remaining ingredients except chow mein noodles and cashews. Put into 13 x 8 glass baking dish.
2.) Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until rice is tender. Uncover; stir in cashew nuts and sprinkle top with chow mein noodles. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until noodles are heated through.

RE: The Teryaki Chicken recipe

This sounds good and I am going to try the recipe. Could you please clarify the cooking times? Why is the time longer for the thawed chicken pieces?

Thanks a lot. I just love easy, tasty recipes!

It's about 8 hours on either setting, I just start it on high if the chicken is frozen when I put it in the crock pot.

Dd#3 makes this a lot during finals week, she likes it with pasta though, I prefer it with rice.

HTHs!

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

Here's another easy one :D, some of our Northeastern posters may recognize it :lol:

It takes about 10 minutes prep and about 30 minutes simmering on the stove...

1 package portuguese sausage, sliced thin (I use gaspers linguica, if you can't find it, italian sausage works just as well)
4 large potatoes cubed
4 cups of chicken broth (again I use low sodium)
2 cans of kidney beans with liquid (dark or light works your preference, I use whatever is in the pantry)

Garlic and pepper to taste...

Bring to a low boil and simmer till the potatoes are done, then add your favorite greens, I use Kurly Kale (pre-packaged from Publix, about a half a bag), but most any green will work (Kale, turnip greens, collard greens, spinach, cabbage). Keep at a simmer till the greens are cooked down (about 10/15 minutes).

This also works in the crock pot on low (you have to know how long it takes potatoes to cook in your crock pot, mine it takes about 6 hours to get them done), just add the greens about an hour before you're ready to eat.

Serve with bread or biscuits.

This is a huge favorite in my house :great:

Chicken Parmesan by Mr. BetteDavisEyes

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
2/3 cup Panko
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
butter
olive oil

Pound chicken to breasts until they are 1/4 inch thick.

Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. On a second plate, beat the egg with a tbsp. water. On a third plate, combine the Panko and Parmesan cheese.

Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the seasoned flour. Dip both sides of the chicken into the egg mixture. Dredge both sides of the chicken into the Panko mixture and pat lightly.

Heat 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large saute pan and cook chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked thoroughly. Add more butter and oil to pan if you cook chicken breasts separately. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in 200* oven on a baking rack if not serving immediately.

We usually serve the Parmesan Chicken on a bed of arugula or baby spinach with a squeeze of lemon.

:bump:

I do have a recipe but I am just bumping up the most liked threads for the weekend

this is great, quick and easy be sure to use sesame oil!

Easy Asian Beef

1 (8-ounce) rib-eye steak
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, divided
1 cup (1-inch) sliced green onions
2 cups prepackaged coleslaw
2 (2.8-ounce) packages beef-flavor ramen noodle soup (such as Campbell's)
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
Preparation

Trim fat from steak; cut diagonally across grain into thin slices. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and onions; stir-fry 1 minute. Remove steak mixture from pan; keep warm. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil until hot. Add slaw; stir-fry 30 seconds. Remove slaw from pan; keep warm.
Remove noodles from packages; reserve 1 seasoning packet for another use. Add the water and remaining seasoning packet to pan; bring to a boil. Break noodles in half; add noodles to water mixture. Cook noodles 2 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in steak mixture, slaw, and soy sauce; cook until thoroughly heated.
from Cooking Light

Here is a recipe for delicious breaded pork chops:

DELUXE BREADED PORK CHOPS

2 thick pork chops (I often buy the pork chops "for stuffing" in order to get a pork chop that is about 1 inch thick. If you must use a thinner pork chop, you will need to reduce the baking time.)

1/4 cup Hellman's original mayonaisse (Do not substitute here because you need the oil that is in the original formula)

1 large egg

Salt and pepper to taste. (I go light on the salt and heavier on the pepper here)

1 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs

Cooking oil to oil baking pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove pork chops from package, rinse under clear water and pat dry. Beat mayonaisse, egg, salt and pepper together well - until almost frothy. Dump into a flat bowl.

Place bread crumbs into another flat bowl. Oil a flat baking pan - I use a cookie sheet.

Using a fork, dip pork chop into egg mixture, coating well on both sides and all over edges. Then press chop into bread crumbs, coating extremely well and making sure edges are covered.

Place breaded chops onto baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes, uncovered. Turn chops once, after about 20-25 minutes.

When finished, allow chops to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

(The way this recipe works is that the oil in the mayonaisse comes out into the bread crumbs, forming a crusted bread crumb coating. That is why you should not use a reduced fat mayo for this.)

This is a family favorite, yet I have made it for "company" upon their request.
Very easy to make.

SWISS SHERRY CHICKEN BAKE
One of the easiest and tastiest chicken casseroles you will ever make! The sherry wine gives this dish its unique flavor and the alcohol in the wine evaporates away during the cooking process, leaving nothing but the good taste.

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half long ways
8 oz. shredded Swiss Cheese
1 can condensed (10 ¾ oz.) Cream of Chicken soup
1 can condensed (10 ¾ oz.) Cream of Celery soup
½ cup Sherry wine
1 Tablespoon dried Parsley flakes
1/2 stick butter
2 pkgs. herbed chicken pre-packaged stuffing mix, prepared to directions on box

1. Place chicken breasts in a 13 x 9 glass baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
2. Combine soups, parsley flakes and sherry, heating and stirring in pot until smooth.
3. Make stuffing mix in another pot according to package directions, allow to sit for 5 minutes.
4. Pour soup mixture over chicken and Swiss cheese. Evenly spoon stuffing over all. Dot stuffing with small pieces of butter.
5. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes prior to serving.

(One hour is plenty, do not overbake or chicken will dry out. When reheating covered in microwave, use 70% power to reheat.)

Great served with a green vegetable of your choice.3

I made this on Thursday and it was DELISH! My son loved it and it bought me more WS time, since I told him the recipe was from here. :floorlaugh:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

1 cup of white or yellow popcorn hot air popped.

1/3 cup of butter.

Mix hot sauce with the 1/3 cup of butter, melt in microwave.

Salt to taste.

For those days when you need the food to cook while you're at work...Start this the evening before you want to serve it, it cooks while you are sleeping. Yay.

A nice 3-5lb beef roast
2 lovely red onions
2 cans of chipotle peppers
Your favorite seasonings for mexican food
A good sized chunk of cliantro
1-2 boxes of beef stock (depending on the size of your roast on slow cooker)

Cut up your red onions, place them in the bottom of the slow cooker, open up the two cans of chipotle peppers and empty entire contents on top of the onions, then chop up your cilantro and place that on top of the rest. Season your beef roast (I like the one that is in a neat little net, not sure what it's called-sorry). I use Adobo with Pepper, regular black pepper a little red pepper. Put that lovely seasoned meat on top of the rest of your goodness.

Set your slow cooker to cook overnight (I put mine on 8 hours on high). When you wake up for work in the am, (after coffee) pull out that meat and take two forks to it and shred it. It'll be really easy and really quick because it's been cooking all night. Skim the remaining broth in the slow cooker for fat and dump your pretty shredded beef back in. Put your slow cooker on warm (for however long you have to be at work).

When you come home, throw some green peppers and onions in a frying pan with some EVOO and let it rock. Warm up some corn tortillas and viola! A really awesome dinner!

Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, your choice of cheese and pico.

Very little effort, great result!

From Paula Deen @ FoodNetwork

We love this!

Ingredients

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese

Directions

Melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes. Add chicken and cook 10 minutes on each side, or until tender. Transfer chicken to platter and sprinkle with grated cheese. Top with mushroom mixture. Cook and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chicken-georgia-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Brandied Cherries

1 16. oz can red tart cherries
1/2 cup cherry juice (reserve from canned cherries)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. Brandy

In a small saucepan, combine cherries, cherry juice, and sugar over low heat. Mix cornstarch into orange juice. Add to cherry mixture. Cook until thickened and clear. Remove from heat and stir in Brandy.

Serve warm sauce over pound cake. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted slivered almonds, if desired. This sauce is also very good with chocolate cakes or brownies.

Easiest Recipe ever.... Nope, don't have a name for it, but it is delicious!

2 Chicken Breasts in the crock pot

1 jar of your favorite salsa

1 Can of black beans.

Put the chicken and salsa in the crock pot. Cook the crap out of it, until you can shred the chicken. Add the black beans.

You can serve over rice. Delish! OR you can be really energetic, and wrap it in tortillas, cover with some enchilada sauce and cheese and bake until the cheese is melted!

:)

I haven't tried this yet but I've heard it's awesome . . .

2 ingredient Lemon Bars

1 pkg angel food cake mix (ie: Betty Crocker)
2 each (21 ounce) cans lemon pie filling (42 oz total)

combine dry cake mix with pie filling. Pour into pre-greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Bake 350 degrees F. for 25 min - remove if starting to brown. cool on wire rack. sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. cut into squares.

has a melt in your mouth (middle of the lemon pie) flavor in a light spongy texture.

DORITO CHICKEN CASSEROLE

Ingredients
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used the breast from Deli Chicken)
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (divided)
1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
½ cup milk
½ cup sour cream
1 can Rotel tomatoes
½ packet taco seasoning
1 large bag Doritos
Shredded lettuce (optional)
diced tomato (optional

Directions
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix together shredded chicken, 1 cup of cheese, cream of chicken soup, milk, sour cream, Rotel tomatoes, and taco seasoning. Mix well. (I made this during break and kept in frig until time to put Doritos in with it.)

Step 2: Grease a 2-quart casserole dish, and add a layer of crushed Doritos across the bottom. Top with a layer of the chicken mixture. Add another layer of crushed Doritos, and then add another layer of the chicken mixture. Top with remaining cheese. You can add more crushed Doritos on top as well if you wish. Step 3: Cover and place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until bubbling hot. Remove from the oven and top with lettuce and tomato if you choose. (Makes 4 Servings)

Hawaiian Ham N Cheese Sliders
Here's what you'll need....

1-2 packages of Hawaiian sweet rolls
1 onion, minced
1 stick of butter
3 Tbs of Dijon Mustard
2-3 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce
3 teaspoons of poppy seeds
1 1/2 pounds of shaved deli ham- or more depends how thick you want them
8-10 slices of Swiss cheese or American
In a sauce pan melt your butter. Add onion and cook until soft.
Then add in your mustard, Worcestershire, and poppy seeds. Simmer for 5 mins
Slice your rolls right down the middle. Place them in a pan with foil, place 2/3 of mixture on bottom of rolls..Add your ham and then your cheese.Top with the other side of the rolls and add the rest of the mixture on top. Bake for 20 mins on 350. Cut where the lines are in the Hawaiian rolls and you know have perfectly melted sliders. Enjoy

Oops, I posted this in the trial addiction thread... here it is again:

MEXICAN CHICKEN
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon Seasoning for Tacos
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
3 green onions, chopped

Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with taco seasoning; grill or sauté. Cut the chicken into cubes and place in a greased
8x8" baking dish; season with salt to taste. Add the enchilada sauce and toss to coat the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese
over the chicken and bake at 350º for 10-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Scatter the green onions over the top.

AMERICAN GREEN PEPPER STEAK OVER RICE
This takes a little longer to prepare, what with slicing the beef, the peppers and the onions. But, trust me, it is worth it! This recipe serves four.

3 tender steaks (I like rib eye, you can use your favorite) trimmed of fat and sliced into evenly sized slices about 1/2" wide and about 4 -6" long

1 large white onion sliced into long, skinny pieces - about 1/2" wide
2 green peppers, sliced into long, skinny pieces - about 1/2" wide
1 red pepper, sliced as above for green pepper

1 can stewed tomatoes (do NOT use Italian flavored stewed tomatoes, just regular type)
1 large jar Heinz brown gravy
1/2 cup water
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup teryaki sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
6 cups cooked rice - just use your favorite rice for this, prepared as per instructions on package.

1.) Slice steak, onions and peppers before you begin to cook anything.

2.) In large skillet, heat olive oil on medium high. When hot, add steak slices, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Sear all sides of pieces by lifting and turning pieces with spatula. (This will not take long, all you need to do is sear the outsides.)

3.) Set seared steak pieces aside. Reduce skillet heat to low. Add onion slices and pepper slices to skillet, then dump in stewed tomatoes including juices, water, teryaki sauce and brown sugar. Cover and cook on low for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

(This will produce peppers that are not "mushy". If you have someone who only likes their veggies "mushy" you will need to either cook this 10 minutes or so longer, or you can pre-cook both the onions and the peppers for 5-7 minutes on High in your microwave prior to adding them to skillet.)

4.) Stir in brown gravy and meat pieces. Simmer on low for anther 10-15 minutes. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving over rice.

This should turn out kind of thick, but not TOO thick. If too thick add a little water. If too thin, add about a half packet of powdered brown gravy mix. Also can add more teryaki sauce if you want a stronger "Asian" taste.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back