trial thread: 3/22/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that this was probably part of the legal arguments that went on prior to the trial starting ... the defence would say that her character forms part of their defence, and the judge likely agreed that her priors could be revealled to the jury. I dont think that any of MR's priors would be admitted though - if he has any - I think that Canadian law doesn't allow the jurors to know about prior bad acts since it would taint them and the case is to be judged on a "stand alone" basis.

We shall see!

ITA. It's like when they have a jail house rat testify. The defence usually tries to attack the rat's credibility by going over his/her criminal record.

Yesterday afternoon, Derstine presented a number of letters McClintic wrote while she was in a youth facility, months before Tori's disappearance. The letters contained numerous references to violent acts McClintic planned to perpetrate on those who crossed her, including graphic descriptions of torture and murder.

by Jon Hembrey 10:02 AM

I don't think so. I am wondering if it is because TLM is not on trial that this can be done.

Her record is allowed to be discussed in court, because the Crown brought up her prior arrests, so the defence is allowed to cross examine those arrests, etc.

RaffertyLFP: Still waiting for trail to resume Lawyers and judge not in courtroom yet [via Twitter]

Still waiting for trail to resume Lawyers and judge not in courtroom yet

Thanks Kitty ... Shurka seems to feel that MR will take the stand. It will be interesting since to my knowledge, he has always proclaimed his innocence. If they show video of his police interrogtations in the courtroom I wonder how he will present himself and whether his story stayed the same, as opposed to TLM, who gave varying versions of the day's events and her participation.

Yes...i think it is needed IMO to be able to see how each of them describes the events to see which scenario is more plausible and what evidence lends more credibility to each version. :waitasec:

Yes...i think it is needed IMO to be able to see how each of them describes the events to see which scenario is more plausible and what evidence lends more credibility to each version. :waitasec:

It's so rare for a murder defendant to take the stand, but it sure would be interesting. Have to remember that MTR is under no obligation to prove his innocence; it's up to the Crown to prove his guilt.

JMO

From yesterday: Defense lawyer Dirk Derstine done with McClintic's jail letters will likely review her criminal record

The jury is not seated yet.

Still waiting for trail to resume Lawyers and judge not in courtroom yet

After a 20 min. delay the jury and Terri-Lynne McClintic are back in the courtroom

The jury is entering the courtroom. Ready to begin for the day.

Justice Heeney is in courtroom trial resuming

McClintic on the stand soon for day 5 of her testimony... More questions from the defence

Defense lawyer Dirk Derstine asks McClintic to identify journal-type document strewn with gang symbols - written in 2007-2008

The jury is walking into the courtroom.

by Jon Hembrey 10:23 AM

RaffertyLFP: Justice Heeney is in courtroom trial resuming [via Twitter]

RaffertyLFP: Defense lawyer Dirk Derstine asks McClintic to identify journal-type document strewn with gang symbols - written in 2007-2008 [via Twitter]

#Rafferty's lawyer Dirk Derstine asks McClintic to identify pages from her journals from 2007-2008. Has gang signs and names and addresses.

Rafferty's lawyer, Dirk Derstine is showing the jury another drawing done by McClintic Filled with gang signs and again, "murderous *****es"

McClintic says the journal is filled with rhymes she wrote

McClintic also wrote disturbing poems about killing.

McClintic identifies "journal filled with rhymes she has written" one entry titled "respect" she will get it "or a bullet to the chest"

"I'm a cold-hearted ***** -emotionless" McClintic describes herself in the journal

In one of the rhymes McClintic wrote about being a "cold-hearted b*tch" and "empty inside".

McClintic wrote between the ages of 12 and 17, she spent more time locked up than free. She agrees that is the case.

RaffertyLFP: McClintic identifies "journal filled with rhymes she has written" one entry titled "respect" she will get it "or a bullet to the chest" [via Twitter]

Peace to you all during this trial! I don't follow this 100% because I find it TOO disturbing for my brain, however, I want justice for Tory and these 2 devils behind bars for life. I am supporting you all and those who copy all the tweets for us, remarkable work :). So, I am here hovering!! xxxxxxx.......

RaffertyLFP: "I'm a cold-hearted b**** -emotionless" McClintic describes herself in the journal [via Twitter]

Adrian Morrow ‏
Court looking at pages from Terri-Lynne McClintic's journal from summer 2007. Decorated with gang symbols, they contain poems about violence

RaffertyLFP: "I don't feel remorse for the f___ I stabbed" McClintic wrote in journal referring to an incident where she robbed two mean and stabbed them [via Twitter]

Derstine is presenting McClintic's journal from 2007 and 2008. The first page is adorned with gang symbols. He presents a page from June 2007 which is titled "Respect," which describes killing a person.

by Jon Hembrey 10:30 AM

RaffertyLFP: McClintic admits she refused to surrender knife when confronted by police and punched an officer [via Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck