Tropical storm Felix forms in Caribbean

This is a stunning and dangerous Hurricane--Winds are now 160 mph sustained with gusts to 200 mph, exactly the same as Hurricane Andrew, which caused incredible devastation south of Miami in 1992--Felix is making landfall right now

For the first time in recorded history, we now have had 2 Category 5 hurricanes both making landfall in the same year--Records go all the way back to the 1880's--hopefully, the death toll will be extremely low with Felix as it was with Dean

Thanks all who reponded to the wimp factor. Hurricanes leave so many dead and hopeless situations after they do their thing. Snow, just evolves into warmer weather with all sitting in their comfy homes with all of their relatives alive.

Thanks Love_Mama, he sent email yesterday, experiencing really ROUGH waters. They were 125 miles from the most active area.

For Buzz, yes he was offered $30,000 dollars to stay in. HE turned it down because he would have Key West as his duty station til next June, with no hope of another duty station til then. He GREATLY dislikes Key West, heavy tourist and unseemly area. Not using the words he used.

Buzz there is a G hurrican forming, I donut have details.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES...75 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 115
MILES...185 KM.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 935 MB...27.61 INCHES.

STORM SURGE FLOODING IN EXCESS OF 18 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...IS
POSSIBLE TO THE NORTH OF WHERE THE CENTER IS MAKING LANDFALL.

FELIX IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 5 TO 10 INCHES OF RAIN ACROSS NORTHERN
NICARAGUA AND MUCH OF HONDURAS...WITH POSSIBLE ISOLATED MAXIMUM
AMOUNTS OF 20 INCHES. THESE RAINS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE LIFE-
THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES.

REPEATING THE 800 AM EDT POSITION...14.3 N...83.2 W.
MOVEMENTTOWARD...WEST NEAR 16 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...160 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...935 MB.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/205025.shtml?3day?large#contents

SNIP

For Buzz, yes he was offered $30,000 dollars to stay in. HE turned it down because he would have Key West as his duty station til next June, with no hope of another duty station til then. He GREATLY dislikes Key West, heavy tourist and unseemly area. Not using the words he used.

SNIP

OFF TOPIC: Camper, I'll bet that if he let some of the Coast Guard higher-ups know that he would stay if he could be assigned duty at xxxxxxxxxx, I'll bet they would find a way to make it happen. They need trained people and so he has a good hand to play; the odds are in his favor.

FELIX IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 8 TO 12 INCHES OF RAIN ACROSS NORTHERN
NICARAGUA AND EL SALVADOR...WITH 10 TO 15 INCHES OVER MUCH OF
HONDURAS. ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF 25 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN
MOUNTAINOUS AREAS. THESE RAINS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE LIFE-
THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES. PERSONS IN FLOOD-PRONE
AREAS SHOULD TAKE ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND
PROPERTY.

REPEATING THE 1100 AM EDT POSITION...14.3 N...83.9 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST NEAR 15 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB.

Thanks all who reponded to the wimp factor. Hurricanes leave so many dead and hopeless situations after they do their thing. Snow, just evolves into warmer weather with all sitting in their comfy homes with all of their relatives alive.

Thanks Love_Mama, he sent email yesterday, experiencing really ROUGH waters. They were 125 miles from the most active area.

Buzz there is a G hurrican forming, I donut have details.

Where is this "G" one forming. The only thing I see is off the East Coast of Florida -

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm12/caribbeansatellite_large.html

PROPERTY.

REPEATING THE 200 PM EDT POSITION...14.2 N...84.5 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST NEAR 14 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...962 MB.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/205025.shtml?3day?large#contents

MOUNTAINOUS AREAS
. THESE RAINS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE LIFE-
PROPERTY.

REPEATING THE 500 PM EDT POSITION...14.2 N...85.0 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST NEAR 14 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...975 MB.

Camper- I live in michigan and I know what you mean about black ice. Unfortunately my husband has a 3 hour commute daily in the black ice. I wished we lived in the midwest, no hurricanes and no horrible ice storms that kill many here a year especially when deer run out in front of you.

Nicaragua is going to be a mess after this, they are so poor anyways and there is no place for them to go, thanks to Ronald Reagan :banghead: many years ago but that is another post! My heart is with them :(

It looks like my friend will just get heavy rain and wind again thank goodness.

Record-Setting Hurricanes Wreak Havoc

CABO SAN LUCAS, Mexico (Sept. 4) - Felix walloped Central America's remote Miskito coastline and Henriette slammed into resorts on the tip of Baja California as a record-setting hurricane season got even wilder Tuesday with twin storms making landfall on the same day. While weakening rapidly, Felix's rains posed a danger to inland villages lying in flood-prone mountain valleys and to urban shantytowns susceptible to mudslides.

Felix roared ashore before dawn as a Category 5 storm along Nicaragua's remote northeast corner - an isolated, swampy jungle where people get around mainly by canoe. The 160 mph winds peeled roofs off shelters and a police station, knocked down electric poles and stripped humble homes to a few walls. "The metal roofs are coming off like straight razors and flying against the trees and homes," Lumberto Campbell, a local official in Puerto Cabezas, near Felix's landfall, told Radio Ya shortly before his phone line went dead.

Emergency official Samuel Perez said most of the port's buildings were damaged and the dock was destroyed, although there were no reports of deaths. By late afternoon, Felix had weakened to a Category 1 storm with winds of 80 mph. But forecasters were still worried that the tempest would do great damage inland over Honduras and Guatemala. Up to 25 inches of rain was expected to drench the mountain capitals of Tegucigalpa and Guatemala City, where shantytowns cling precariously to hillsides. Towns across Honduras were flooding, and residents waded through waist-deep, garbage-strewn water in La Ceiba, on the northern coast.

http://news.aol.com/story/ar/_a/record-setting-hurricanes-wreak-havoc/20070901152509990001

PROPERTY.

REPEATING THE 800 PM EDT POSITION...14.1 N...85.4 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST NEAR 13 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...982 MB.

Camper- I live in michigan and I know what you mean about black ice. Unfortunately my husband has a 3 hour commute daily in the black ice. I wished we lived in the midwest, no hurricanes and no horrible ice storms that kill many here a year especially when deer run out in front of you.
Nicaragua is going to be a mess after this, they are so poor anyways and there is no place for them to go, thanks to Ronald Reagan :banghead: many years ago but that is another post! My heart is with them :(

It looks like my friend will just get heavy rain and wind again thank goodness.

Oh heck Autumn it's as bad in the midwest as anywhere, lol. We have tornadoes, ice storms (one year we were without power for a week some up to 4 weeks) excessive heat waves, some up to three weeks with the temperature not lower than 80 at night and in the triple digits during the day. And the deer population has exploded.

What we really need to do is move every four months to a better place...

Reminds me of when my oldest girl was three and saw a bad storm outside. She said, "Look mom and dad the weather is coming."

Here, all we have is an earthquake once in a while. It reminds me that I haven't felt one now for years.

We might have a really brisk wind about every two years.

Maybe three days a year, we have an offshore flow, which means the wind isn't coming in off of the cold ocean, or through the fog. like it does beginning in the afternoon, just like air conditioning, the other 362 days. Those three nights are warm and the temperature is very high during those three days.

Oh heck Autumn it's as bad in the midwest as anywhere, lol. We have tornadoes, ice storms (one year we were without power for a week some up to 4 weeks) excessive heat waves, some up to three weeks with the temperature not lower than 80 at night and in the triple digits during the day. And the deer population has exploded.

What we really need to do is move every four months to a better place...

Reminds me of when my oldest girl was three and saw a bad storm outside. She said, "Look mom and dad the weather is coming."

Thats true, especially about tornadoes some of my inlaws live in Kansas and they have tornado warnings all the time. It sounds like the way to go is becoming a gypsy!

Buzz- that does sound nice I do like snow but 5 to 6 months of it gets to be a bit much especially when its so cold outside your nose hair freezes.

FELIX IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 8 TO 12 INCHES OF RAIN ACROSS NICARAGUA
AND EL SALVADOR...WITH 10 TO 15 INCHES OVER MUCH OF HONDURAS.
ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF 25 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN MOUNTAINOUS
AREAS. RAINFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER
GUATEMALA. THESE RAINS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH
FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES. PERSONS IN FLOOD-PRONE AREAS SHOULD TAKE
ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY.

REPEATING THE 1000 PM CDT POSITION...14.1 N...85.7 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST NEAR 12 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...987 MB.

Felix toll in Nicaragua rises above 40

PUERTO CABEZAS, Nicaragua - The death toll from Hurricane Felix rose to more than 40 on Thursday as rescuers searched the seas and civil defense workers reached isolated communities devastated by the Category 5 storm. Scores of others remained missing.

The ocean was filled with debris, preventing a rescue mission from coming ashore in Sandy Bay, where the eye of Felix made landfall Tuesday with catastrophic 160 mph winds and a storm surge estimated at 18 feet above normal tides.

About 150 Miskito Indians who live on low-lying reefs and keys off the swampy coast of Nicaragua survived by grabbing anything that floated as the huge storm surge swamped their island homes and tore apart the flimsy wooden shacks. They hung on to tables, buoys and canoes. "We think there are many more people floating in the sea," said Carolina Echeverrria, a congresswoman in neighboring Honduras after authorities rescued the Miskitos, nine of whom were in serious condition.

As Felix's remnants drenched Central America, Hurricane Henriette plowed into Mexico for the second time in two days Wednesday, making landfall near the port city of Guaymas with top sustained winds of 75 mph before weakening as it headed inland. Food and fuel in Nicaragua remained scarce after Felix hit, even as emergency aid was airlifted into the regional capital of Puerto Cabezas, a town difficult to reach even in good weather.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070906/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/tropical_weather

Here, all we have is an earthquake once in a while. It reminds me that I haven't felt one now for years.

We might have a really brisk wind about every two years.

Maybe three days a year, we have an offshore flow, which means the wind isn't coming in off of the cold ocean, or through the fog. like it does beginning in the afternoon, just like air conditioning, the other 362 days. Those three nights are warm and the temperature is very high during those three days.

Wow Buzzm you have it tough! lol Fortunately I like to chase storms and we get a lot of them in spring and early summer.

I sure hope those poor Miskito indians are allright. Did they have any clue the hurricane was coming I wonder?

Death Toll now up to 65 as officials find more bodies in the interior villages--a shame

Death toll from Felix nears 100

PUERTO CABEZAS, Nicaragua - Rescuers scooped bodies from the open sea and villagers paddled canoes through fallen trees looking for survivors on this remote, swampy stretch of Caribbean coast as the death toll from Hurricane Felix neared 100.

Residents of Puerto Cabezas said they had little warning of Felix's rapid approach and when the storm hit most of the men were out to sea fishing. The women and children left behind clambered on the few remaining boats which quickly sank because they were overloaded.

The government "didn't warn us that the hurricane was coming," said Anali Martinez, 21, whose cousin was among the missing after the Category 5 hurricane hit Tuesday. "That's why so many were caught in it fishing."

In Puerto Cabezas, about 500 people crowded onto a pier overlooking the beach where 13 bloated bodies had been laid out on black tarps after being pulled out of the sea. Some tried to rush down a small wooden stairway onto the beach but were held back by police.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070907/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/tropical_weather

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back