Tropical Storm Hanna

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Dark Knight, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

MIAMI - The National Hurricane Center says Tropical Storm Hanna has formed northeast of the northern Leeward Islands in the Atlantic.

The eighth tropical storm of the Atlantic season had top sustained winds near 40 mph Thursday. Its center was about 305 miles northeast of the northern Leeward Islands and was moving toward the west-northwest near 12 mph.

Hanna could produce rainfall of 1 to 4 inches across parts of the Leeward Islands. It's too soon to say if Hanna will affect the U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080828/ap_on_re_us/tropical_weather_hanna;_ylt=AqaGWSSt1jqLXNuimXZ1O7Gs0NUE

2. Loading...

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

5. poco

poco A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

This just in - per poco's tv -

Hurricane Hannah - Category 2 - heading towards northern florida Jacksonville/Savannah Ga area and close on her tail is Ike.......

6. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

:eek:I hope Hanna doesn't plan on touring the east coast of florida, I just don't think I could handle it.

7. zelmajane

zelmajane New Member

As I sit on the beautiful barrier island in south NC that I call home...

Let me tell you, tomorrow we start getting ready.

I had 42" of water in my house for Fran, so it's time to start moving things up.

What is bad, if this one doesn't get us, I fear Ike will. I hope they don't both, it'll be a mess.

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

9. gaia

gaia Cat Servant

ZELMAJANE!

I live in Oriental, NC. It's kinda along the Pamlico Sound. Anyway, I'm so worried about Hanna - even if we don't get a direct hit (and that's still not out of the question) we'll get a heck of a lot of rain and wind - as you probably will also. I just hate the idea of packing everything away, moving four cats and a dog with us to another territory, or plain leaving my life behind. Of course, that's the price we pay for living where we do! Good luck to you and to me too!!

gaia:eek:

10. angelwngs

angelwngs New Member

Oh my goodness, my brother and his family are located at the Ga/Fla state lines...

I couldn't get in touch with them for days during Gustav and now Hanna...

Prayers for all... Take good care...

11. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

The NHC forecast track map disagrees with Accuweather's, as this map has it making a beeline for S. Carolina, whereas Accuweather is closer to Florida and then landing near Georgia. Interesting.

12. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Looks like Accuweather updated it's map to also show landfall in S. Carolina.

13. zelmajane

zelmajane New Member

I KNOW right!

As of right now, I may see the eye. I'm just north of Wilmington.

I sent all my pictures home with my Dad already.

Easley says "It's stupid and dangerous to stay once you've been told to evacuate," (According to WRAL).

I suppose I may have to be "stupid"

Good luck Gaia!!

14. CaliKid

CaliKid Former Member

My sister lives in Virginia Beach and just this summer got her back yard fixed up from the last hurricane. She is very upset about the damage Hanna might inflict and all the time and work involved afterwards.

15. lizzybeth

lizzybeth Active Member

CaliKid, are you talking about Hurrican Isabelle? I live in VA (Hampton Roads area) and that's the worse hurricane that I can remember. I don't even think it was a Hurricane 3.

I pass by a house on my way to work that still hasn't been repaired since then.

I think your sister will be okay. The news this morning said not too much flooding and that winds would be maybe 40-60. It's still scary thought because that can all change.

16. BeavisMom62

BeavisMom62 No, Butthead is NOT here!!

I know, BB, aren't you about tired of all this sheeit? Goodness, there is still alot of water here left from Fay!

17. Sandy247

Sandy247 New Member

OOOO, I remember Isabelle. Nasty storm. We are supposed to get some high winds and downpours this weekend, most likely Friday night into Saturday morning I hear now. I am more concerned about My parents who live in Delaware on the coast.

18. poco

poco A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

If they live inland at all, they should be okay (I think)..... unless this think hits the coast further north than the carolinas.

19. CaliKid

CaliKid Former Member

Yes, I think it was Isabelle. It leveled all the trees in her neighborhood and infested her lawn with swamp grass.

20. LaLaw2000

LaLaw2000 Louisiana

Calikid, I am in Louisiana and got all of the backlash from Hurricane Gustav. Flooded streets, trees down, had lost electricity, etc., so I do respect weather!

My granddaughter is stationed at Langley AFB which is right there at Virginia Beach - actually Hampton, Va. Her husband is at Ft. Bragg, N.C.! She is in the Air Force and he is in the Army!

I say prayers for your sister! Even a tropical storm can cause damage. I do hope she gets in supplies! I didn't because I thought we would have no problem - but we did! There were 2 trees down in my yard and lots of limbs. Maybe Hanna will peter out. Regardless, everyone in Hanna's path are in my prayers and thoughts!

21. Elphaba

Elphaba Defying Gravity...

Well, we are in the warning area, now... up into the Bay and up into the Potomac. Last night the news kept saying that upwards of 10 inches of rain would fall on us in the I95 area. I hope they are wrong and were over-exaggerating. Being as Hannah is not as vast and strong as Isabel was, hopefully we can ride this out with the minimum of lost electricity and downed trees. BUT... our sump pump is questionable... :( we are so not really in need of a nature made swimming pool in our basement and cellar.

Now, my J, he has priorities LoL... while I am sitting here worrying over the sump pump, he's in the kitchen worrying over something more important (well, to him LoL): he just said he was leaving for work early... to go buy half-n-half because he is down to a days worth for his coffee... doesn't want to get stuck without it this weekend if the local grocery stores are without power like when Isabel hit. Heaven forbid the man go without his half-n-half for a day or 2...