Tsunami Warning in Hawaii -8.3 Earthquake off Chile

Discussion in 'Weather' started by trigger, Sep 16, 2015.

1. trigger

trigger New Member

2. Loading...

3. trigger

trigger New Member

Massive EarthquakeSANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — A powerful earthquake shook Chile’s capital Wednesday night, causing buildings to sway and people to take refuge in the streets. Several strong aftershocks hits within minutes as tsunami alarms sounded in the port of Valparaiso and authorities issued a tsunami alert for the country’s entire coast.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported the quake had a magnitude of 8.3, upgraded from the preliminary magnitude of 7.9. Chilean authorities had recorded it as 7.2.

U.S. officials said the quake struck just offshore in the Pacific at 7:54 p.m. and was centered about 141 miles (228 kilometers) north-northwest of Santiago. It said the quake was 4.8 miles (5 kilometers) below the surface. Rocks Chile; Tsunami Alert Issued For Hawaii

4. trigger

trigger New Member

Chile’s emergency office warned that big waves caused by the quake could hit the coast by 11 p.m.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami watch for the state of Hawaii following the earthquake, saying an investigation is underway to determine if there is a tsunami threat to Hawaii.

Per link above

5. human

human Well-Known Member

Poor Chile. They have so many of these tragedies

6. tarabull

tarabull Some humans are really bad at being human. ~Scott

7. JLSChook

JLSChook Fin's Pet

Extended to California.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...lifornia-earthquake-chile-20150916-story.html

8. montana_16

montana_16 Active Member

Chile has the highest magnitude earthquake on record. 9.5. It was in 1960 I believe.

9. human

human Well-Known Member

My son went to the University in Santiago for a year. Fortunately, I was unaware at the time of all of the Chile issues or I would have been a wreck.