GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN article reports husband saying he personally talked to Amsterdam tour guide before she went. She was going there to photograph graffiti. Husband apparently talked to CNN in tears...he said she met people online in turkey who volunteered to be your guides. Not sure if he spoke on the phone w them but if so that would add a new wrinkle to this bc if the husband had vetted these strangers before she went she was not putting herself in as much at risk as I thought...wonder if husband talked to that T... person

Huh?

Why would her husband's opinion and vetting of them be better than hers?

There is something about the Taylan guy that I wanted to write for the last two days. I know that there is still a high probability that he could be involved but still I feel like he wasn't involved as he was released that quickly.

Police couldn't (and wouldn't) release their only suspect, the person who last contacted the victim that easily. Especially in a big and international case like this where FBI and several local teams were involved. So I believe Taylan had good proof that he didn't meet her all day and probably the night. Shouldn't be hard to prove if he is working- living with family or friends.

Again, I don't have any evidence but they must be stupid to release him without making sure he is not involved.

Is it possible that she smuggled drugs into Turkey? Is that what is being implied?

Keep in mind the only evidence of the "no sign of rape" AS WELL AS the "$15,000 spent" are snippets and speculation in the Turkish press (which I linked to, sigh).

It gives us some material to speculate with, but nothing is etched in stone in this situation other than the death of a young woman who, whatever went down, surely didn't deserve such a fate.

Is it possible that she smuggled drugs into Turkey? Is that what is being implied?

Or smuggled them from Turkey to Amsterdam & Munich. We don't really know... But if true, the receipts make something seem really off. IMO.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

RS...
But as for SS, it's best not to trust any media or anyone else right now as we try to make sense of her tragic fate. We know precious little of who she was, so none of us should rush to judge what happened, or what this person was up to, or what she was all about in the world. Hopefully, we will learn more as the days go by and gain something in the learning.

Yeah, I get the impression that the Turkish press we've been seeing may be a bit on the sensationalist side. As things filter through to the AP and then to sources we are more familiar with, a lot of the sketchier details seem to vanish.

RS...

Yeah, I get the impression that the Turkish press we've been seeing may be a bit on the sensationalist side. As things filter through to the AP and then to sources we are more familiar with, a lot of the sketchier details seem to vanish.

Doesn't seem like the media in Turkey is bound to the same journalistic standards as our own AP. That said, considering all possibilities is important too- we've got nothing to tell us what's real and what's rumor. At the end of the day, we really just don't know.

Or smuggled them from Turkey to Amsterdam & Munich. We don't really know... But if true, the receipts make something seem really off. IMO.

If she was a drug mule she may have been forced to do it~it happens often especially at airports overseas~

As for the receipts I have a feeling they may be planted to appear just like it is as they are stating "drugs"~where are the items she purchased for that amount of cash?

If she was a drug mule she may have been forced to do it~it happens often especially at airports overseas~

As for the receipts I have a feeling they may be planted to appear just like it is as they are stating "drugs"~where are the items she purchased for that amount of cash?

I don't think we've gotten any information as to whether there were just a bunch of receipts, or if merchandise backing up those purchases have been found as well. It's quite possible the perp(s) planted the receipts to make LE think it was a drug mule case.

I agree that the Turkish press can be a bit sensationalist-like the British. Also the translation problems probably don't help the American press in writing a story. Having said that, I have heard of women doing this-usually to Thailand, some that you would never suspect. The amount of money these women are offered are outrageous and it is usually proposed as "no big deal". While nothing is certain and the Turkish authorities probably will be tight-lipped, it would be sad if true.

I think there was a British grandmother convicted in Singapore last month of drugs trafficking and her defense was it was done under duress. Who knows what happened except a whole family in Staten Island will be without one member. :(

Following along with this line of thinking, what do you think the motivation would be to plant receipts to make it appear as if there were drug involvement? And who might have that sort of motivation? Genuinely wondering.....

Although I don't believe the money issue I can't dismiss it yet as thousands of dollars mentioned since beginning of the case. The fact that it keeps appearing make me think that its not just a rumor.

Exactly my thoughts.

Although I don't believe the money issue I can't dismiss it yet as thousands of dollars mentioned since beginning of the case. The fact that it keeps appearing make me think that its not just a rumor.

It is also suspicious that her drivers license was placed nearby, almost as if the killer wanted her to be found and identified in the press. Perhaps as a warning to others.

I'll translate few updates from the links below. Just to provide something better than google translation.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/22509010.asp

It says the reason for her death was the hit she got to her head.
They found receipts which add up to 15,000$ and this is just too much for her and her husband's (mentioned that he is a bus driver) income. They are now considering drug smuggling as it is fairly common that American women to be used to carry drugs from europe to turkey. It could be related to an international drug mafia which always use American women. Says women usually earn abou 10,000$ each time.

____ ____ _____

http://www.haberturk.com/gundem/haber/816824-flas-sarai-sierranin-cesedi-bulundu

This one mentions both the stabbing wound and the wound in the head is the reason.
No signs of rape at the initial investigation.
Her husband diagnosed the body in the hospital. (so heart breaking, may she rest in peace)

There are 15 people which are in custody, including 2 women.
They will take blood and DNA samples from all this people. Also 4 homeless people who stay in that area has been interrogated to and released. (they weren't suspects, just taken for information)

*I believe it is same for other 15 people. Turkish police tend to put everyone around the crime scene into custody. So I am guessing that 11 were just hanging around. Thats usually why people don't report suspicious things.

---------- -----------

http://www.cnnturk.com/2013/turkiye....sierranin.cesedi.bulundu/694960.0/index.html

This one also says there was a blanket next to her. Thats why they believe the body has been moved. She was wearing blue jeans, jumper and a jacket. These are the same clothes from 21st and she had her jewelery on.

I still don't believe the drug smuggling angle. If she got paid $10,000 or $15,000 why would she have receipts of $15,000? Why would she choose to spend that money in Turkey? I would be finding a way to get that money back to my family in the States. This doesn't make any sense.

I just don't see the drug mule angle. As I've mentioned before, gold or antiquities, maybe, but I just don't see this woman transporting drugs.

Now, if she was smuggling drugs and was planning on bringing an item of jewelry home in lieu of the cash... why keep the receipt? She'd have to pay duty on that much stuff. The limit on objects brought back into the US in most cases is $800 per person, unless purchased in a duty free shop.

i agree. This and the possibility of multiple phones takes me down a troubling path of different scenarios to consider.

Another thing is Turkey is a tourist destination and they definately do not want women to believe that it is not safe to visit there. So, now they are doing damage control. I just don't believe the drug angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member