TV Chimp attacks & gravely injures woman.

I feel terrible for poor Charla N and her family. This chimp was basically eating her alive. She lost her eyes, her nose, and her jaw... So she will never see, smell or eat anything again. That is terrible.

It bothers me that the owner did not have something to subdue the chimp with if it did get out of control. Obviously it is a wild animal, you would of thought that she would of had something that would of put the animal out if this came up.
My heart goes out to this poor lady who is suffering.

A stun gun wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Yes, this is one of the saddest things and it is almost difficult to wrap my head around it. I am praying for the poor woman. Chimps are so strong and they are wild and dangerous.

OHHHH?? Travis attacked before. Sounds like a terribly irresponsible IGNORANT owner of a wild animal. Can't tell me then that the other days' attack and this one in 1996 are the TWO ONLY attacks then. This has happened with others but probably because they love their friend Sandra, Travis's owner... they never reported it.

This is exactly what happens, people think they can control the wild.

and quit lying Sandra, you told national news you put xanax in his drink. :mad:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6912308&page=1

I don’t want to be negative but infection is a severe complicating factor in chimp bites.

Travis used a water pic so maybe his mouth wasn’t quite as bad as the typical zoo dweller.

Travis' owner called him her son, and he slept with her, bathed with her, dressed himself, accessed the owner's computer, opened car doors and according to the owner, they would sometimes share a glass of wine together before bedtime.

My heart breaks for the poor victim of this awful attack.

When she came out of her car that she doesn't normally drive, I don't think Travis recognized her," Herold said. "She was greeting him with a teddy bear, and that's when he went wild."

Travis had known Nash, 55, for several years - but may have been confused by her new hairstyle.

She had just got her hair done. It used to be long and brown, but she changed it to short and blond and fluffy," she said.

(source) http://www.nypost.com/seven/0218200...otos_show_friendly_side_of_young_c_155795.htm

god bless them all!

I also read this:

Herold speculated that Travis was being protective of her when he attacked Nash, who she said was driving a different car, wearing a new hairstyle and holding an Elmo stuffed toy in front of her face as a present to the chimp.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090219/ap_on_re_us/chimpanzee_attack

I can only guess that maybe he was scared.

PattyCake, once again I agree with you. Sandra was ignorant in the way she handled this chimp. She never should have had him in the first place. I understand that once she had him a couple of years she loved him like family but she had to realize that the best thing for Travis would have been to be taken to a sancuary where he could be a chimp, not a playmate for an old woman. Sorry, I'm just really angry with this woman right now.

Bathing with a chimp? Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of bathing?

Travis' owner called him her son, and he slept with her, bathed with her, dressed himself, accessed the owner's computer, opened car doors and according to the owner, they would sometimes share a glass of wine together before bedtime.

My heart breaks for the poor victim of this awful attack.

Son? Looks like a 'marriage' to me.... :eek:
you don't share a bed with your 'son'.
my 2cents of sarcasm and disgust

PattyCake, once again I agree with you. Sandra was ignorant in the way she handled this chimp. She never should have had him in the first place. I understand that once she had him a couple of years she loved him like family but she had to realize that the best thing for Travis would have been to be taken to a sancuary where he could be a chimp, not a playmate for an old woman. Sorry, I'm just really angry with this woman right now.

Bathing with a chimp? Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of bathing?

bold by me :blowkiss:

*SHUDDER*

luv my dogs too but bathing with them? Uhhhh not a chance.

Here is a link to a story about St. James Davis, another poor chimp attack victim, which occurred some years back. Chimps are dangerous and very powerful and should be respected as such -- and in this case, the door to the chimps cage was left unlocked.

http://www.esquire.com/features/chimpanzee-attack-0409

Oh my gosh that was such a tradegy that was a wicked story as well...very graphic for those who read it

Here is a link to a story about St. James Davis, another poor chimp attack victim, which occurred some years back. Chimps are dangerous and very powerful and should be respected as such -- and in this case, the door to the chimps cage was left unlocked.

http://www.esquire.com/features/chimpanzee-attack-0409

Oh My God. This is heartbreaking.

I need to go read, "News to Make You Smile" so I can force myself to get out of the house today.

OMG! You'd think the chimp would have known that woman by her scent. How ABSOLUTELY HORRIFYING! I can't imagine such a thing happening to me or a person I loved and/or cared about. It's almost unimaginable to survive such injuries and have to go on. And if something like this happened before -- what Laura08 said about Travis once trying to pull a woman out of a car, then the Chimp was a walking time bomb. (IMHO, people can be so blind about the bad behavior of their children and their pets.) My prayers go to everyone involved, including the Chimp.

Yes, I still think the owner still doesn't realize that he is an animal. Animals rely on scent, then hearing, then sight for the most part. Also, chimps have been observed in the wild killing and cannabalizing infants and young chimps, so his attacking and consuming is not unheard of.

I just think that the animal had a psychotic break, just like the circus elephants do at times. It's all too awful.

If I lost my eyes, nose, and jaw/half of my mouth I would not want to survive. :(
This is so sad for the victim.

If I lost my eyes, nose, and jaw/half of my mouth I would not want to survive. :(
This is so sad for the victim.

If the initial reports are correct, he also chewed off both of her hands, so she also has no way to learn sign language either as I cannot imagine she has any ability to talk any longer.

So yes, ITA, I would agree with you and would want my family to know not to save my life under these circumstances at all.

So very very sad. Beyond heartbreaking.

Yes, I still think the owner still doesn't realize that he is an animal. Animals rely on scent, then hearing, then sight for the most part. Also, chimps have been observed in the wild killing and cannabalizing infants and young chimps, so his attacking and consuming is not unheard of.

I just think that the animal had a psychotic break, just like the circus elephants do at times. It's all too awful.

It is very hard in this instance to say the animal relied on scent. Travis was taken away from his mom at 3 days old. He never learnt how to use his scent as say other chimps would.

In the wild it is a totally different world than what we live in. The chimps are taught at a very young age to fight & kill. The animals are used as astronauts / they're used as lab animals to cure us humans / they're used as movie stars ( Travis was used for commercials)

If you read this please come back I have a similar story so I am well aware of every aspect of this. Its a story hard to tell, so it will take me awhile. I am a activist for animals to be kept in the wild & beg people not to ever consider a wild animal in your home. I promise I'll post it.....as I said its hard. It is the story of CHEKO & how I got my name.

I saw where she has been transferred here to the Cleveland Clinic. They have recently done a face transplant http://www.newsnet5.com/news/18752895/detail.html

Here is some pictures of Travis and one of the pictures is of Charla a few years ago. I also listened to the video on the link you gave and it was very disturbing he even tried to attack his own owner and then the cop. Hopefully those that have wildlife pets will rethink the dangers of these animals, and let them live there life in the wild.http://www.nypost.com/photos/galleries/news/nationalnews/pp_20090218_travis/photo12.htm

I find picture #15 extremely creepy and a little humiliating for Travis. He's a chimpanzee not a human. He should have been allowed to be a chimpanzee.

I know if I were Charla I would feel like some of the other posters...I wouldn't want to live. Then again there have been people that have been horribly disfigured, lost limbs and eyesight yet went on to do great things.

I pray for her and her family. I hope Travis is somewhere where he can be exactly as God created him.

My granddaughter & I was surfing the net & came across baby monkeys. The people selling them had them dressed cuter than cute....little girls all in ruffles & lace & the little fellas in cute little onsies. Some had cowboy hats on . I started reading up on them, always hearing they were a danger to humans. Sure weren't cheap the males were $3200. & the females 4 grand. I contacted probably 50 people who owned them, nobody ever had any problems with them if you got them a few days old. I was told the Moms would reject them & they were left to die. I talked mostly to people in Indiana they can breed & raise them there. The lady I talked to had ( so she said) 11 living in the house. Each family member had there own monkeys. They even slept with them.

She said she had 1 pregnant, but rarely did a mom reject her baby but if she did she'd let me know. Well like a moron out of the blue I got a phone call & if interested she'd meet me in Chicago to look at it. If I wanted him it was $3200. cash. Like a fool I met her bought him & we named him Cheko... he was adorable. Fit in the palm of my hand & cute as can be. He was a java had a little mohawk & the apple of our eye.

He required alot of care...nothing cheap about raising an exotic animal. He would jump on your lap / he loved ice cream, snickers candy bars & blondes. He wore diapers, took a bottle with a baby formula base. He was awesome. If he seen a animal he'd scream bloody murder to warn you something shouldn't be there, was. Hubby is in the fencing business so a cage was so problem. He had his own TV, any toy imaginable. Everyone loved Cheko. I took him to the vet had his incisor teeth pulled / blood tests to make sure he was not a carrier of any disease every 6 months $800.00 each visit.

We noticed Cheko getting possesive when he was about 3-4 yrs old, if someone went to hand us something or hug us good bye. He'd make a strange noise, & slap at them. That passed... we would take him to the lake & he'd just play up a storm. But we had him on a leash.

I was the one who taught Cheko right from wrong. Since he was a male I had to stand up to him. A male monkey dominates the low life females. I took him to the lake without hubby he didn't want to go with me & was MAD. He banged on his cage all the way there. I got him out of his cage & he was po'd. He pranced back & forth & would not come near me. When at the lake he could climb trees & sit in them. But he had a chain so he could not get loose.It was getting dark & I went to bring him in & he bit me. To show his dislike he'd show his teeth & chatter at you. I scolded him severely for it. He hung his head & offered me some of his dilly bar... he had one every night before bed time.

He would be terrified if one of the teen girls was in a swimsuit or in shorts, he'd close to loose his mind. He'd try grabbing them, to show he never liked it. But later when they had pj's on he'd love them up & be so sorry for what he did it was pathetic. He'd hang his little head in shame. The kids were his best friends. He'd hug them, kiss them & pat them on the back.

Hubby was Cheko's very favorite ....he knew I slept with hubby & he started resenting me. I cleaned his cage several times a day.He had a bathe everynight & loved aftershave lotion & would make sure you smelled him. He'd stand like a statue until you told him how good he smelled. He was a hoot....

If he decided he wanted something it was his. If not the war started. He got into my makeup & I went to get it from him & the war was on. I called hubby in & Cheko went right to him handed me the makeup & as I took it he growled at me. A wild animal never forgets when someone wrongs them. Cheko started holding grudges against me. As time went on it wasn't just against me but anyone who told him no.

Cheko was almost 6 yrs old & getting to be in his sexual prime. That is when most wild animals start changing. Hubby had Cheko out in his garage with him, Cheko got into his pop cooler & opened a case of pop. He called him a bad boy & told him no. Cheko had already drank 4 cans of pepsi & decided nobody was telling him anything. Hubby came in the house bit all up. He whopped Cheko good. We decided then & there that was enough. We had to get rid of him.

I contacted everywhere in the USA that has sanctuaries for monkeys, nobody would take him. We offered to pay 10 grand & then support him / we offered to leave him in our will everything to no avail. Nobody wanted a spoiled monkey...we went to one place & the conditions were filthy. Hubbie & Cheko were getting along good again & hubbie was changing his mind. We dearly loved him but Cheko refused to have anything to do with me. Hubby was cleaning his work truck out & was finished working for the day & said come on Cheko lets go have supper & Cheko ignored him, he apparently wanted to go for a car ride. Hubby said come on buddy lets go in the house & get your treats....Cheko jumped at him & bit the holy heck out of him, scratched him...hubby came in covered in blood & said call the vet he is being put to sleep.

I made arrangements & we did take him to the vet 2 days later & he was put to sleep. I held him down to get the needle in the heart. To this day we're heartsick over it but had no other choice. He WOULD of hurt someone else, it was only a matter of time.

I don't call myself a bad person for owning Cheko. Cheko never once got away from us. He'd be down by the lake & would wave at boaters going by, he went fishing with us & was scared to death of fish worms. If he stole something he'd put it is his pouch & torment you. I thought I'd honestly checked it out very well.

I knew I was no match for him & never ever wanted him to hurt anyone. When he was good he was awesome / but when he was bad he was horrible. It should be against the law for anyone to own a primate of any kind they are very strong. Your so shocked by the attack you can hardly get away. Cheko has been gone for 5 yrs now. We had 6 wonderful yrs with him & no monkey could of had the life Cheko had. I have no regrets...

They are afraid of any changes of any type. I could see Travis freaking over the lady having a new haircut / driving a different car & also & mostly from having her hair colored. Them things drive a primate insane.The lady from Indiana lied to me...she ripped him away from his mom. No monkey refuses there babies. Its a vicious cycle....primates should not be bred for babies at all in captivity. The lady I got mine from sells hers to labs......God bless all primates in captivity / it should never EVER be allowed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back