Two mothers: a picture is worth a thousand words

I've always found the body language in this presser to be very interesting. TH seems to be trying to cuddle up to both DY and KH and neither is receptive. I was most interested by KH's responses to her. I definitely sensed he was giving her the cold shoulder. Even when he does put his arm around her, it seems like he's only doing it for show because it would be expected. The coldness emanating from him is very visible.

But the question I have is would someone who had planned and executed the disappearance and perhaps death of Kyron be acting like Terri is acting here? I'm not so sure. What I saw was a woman who knows the others are giving her the cold shoulder and is upset about it and grovelling to get some affection. Doesn't fit with her being the killer to me unless it was accidental. If she had planned the killing, she'd need to fake sadness at this presser, but I don't think she'd be grovelling. JMO.

I'm probably goofy as all get-out, but I replicated Terri's pose in those pictures - specifically the one where she is holding one arm near the elbow. I don't want to influence anyone by saying what I think, but try it.

I've always found the body language in this presser to be very interesting. TH seems to be trying to cuddle up to both DY and KH and neither is receptive. I was most interested by KH's responses to her. I definitely sensed he was giving her the cold shoulder. Even when he does put his arm around her, it seems like he's only doing it for show because it would be expected. The coldness emanating from him is very visible.

But the question I have is would someone who had planned and executed the disappearance and perhaps death of Kyron be acting like Terri is acting here? I'm not so sure. What I saw was a woman who knows the others are giving her the cold shoulder and is upset about it and grovelling to get some affection. Doesn't fit with her being the killer to me unless it was accidental. If she had planned the killing, she'd need to fake sadness at this presser, but I don't think she'd be grovelling. JMO.

The thing is, this presser was not what she imagined it to be. She was supposed to be the loving, perfect stepmom who's beloved stepchild was lost by a negligent school. She was supposed to be the one at the microphone, talking lovingly about Kyron and that day and how sad it is that he's missing and the school didn't have better procedures in place for tracking children that go missing. That presser was supposed to be her at the center of attention, everyone around her empathizing with her and believing and supporting every word coming out of her mouth. It was supposed to be her floor, her time in the limelight.

Instead, she's pushed to the background and given the cold shoulder. I don't think she expected that at all. I think things were already falling apart from her at that press conference. The people that were supposed to love her and support her like she did nothing wrong were instead treating her like a suspect. No one wants to hear what she has to say. No one is looking at school for fault, but at her already. Her whole plan is unravelling right before her eyes. It wasn't supposed to be this way. There wasn't supposed to be any criminal investigation. It was supposed to be a tragedy about a lost boy that featured her as the center attraction. Instead it became about Desiree, Kaine and Tony with Terri left flailing as to what her role was and why things were the way they were.

I just don't think Terri knew what to do or how to cope. She does well when there's support there. But when there's nothing and it's just her, she has no idea how to act or what to do. She was lost at that conference, lost in herself and the fact that she knew they were suspicious of her, so how should she act? How can she get back their love and trust? Maybe she thought cuddling and acting all loving was the trick, but that only made it worse. The more she made that conference about her needs, the more that the others suspected and disliked her. And she just didn't seem to get that one bit.

She is the killer. She's just gotten too lost in herself and what's best for her to care about anyone else and how they feel. Getting rid of Kyron was for Terri's benefit only. She could only think about how to get this annoying child out of her life for good. It's as if she can't feel anything except for herself. I don't think she likes being alone with herself, and that's proven in that first press conference. She was like a lost lamb, trying to find someone, anyone to understand, support, and love her in HER time of need. Kyron goes missing and it's HER time of need? How can she think about herself when an innocent child is missing? But she did. She made this all about herself and that is what has gotten her into trouble the most.

Her inability to think and empathize with others is crippling her. The more she's into herself and what's best for her, the more guilty she looks. It's no wonder Houze has put such a serious muzzle on her. It's not the just emails and texts he wants to avoid, it's her having any interaction with anyone outside of her family that he's worried about too. Unlike Baez, with an equally if not more disturbing client, he's trying to avoid Terri looking like an unempathetic, self-centered you know what. He's trying to some serious damage control for a future jury. He's going to have to work on her when the trial eventually comes because no jury is going to have any sympathy for her if she makes the whole trial about herself. It's not just about the evidence at trial, it's also about how the defendant presents themselves. I have watched crime shows (not fake ones but real ones) where jury members said out loud that it came down to how the defendant acted in court for them to make their final decision.

Terri's downfall is caring too much about Terri and not enough about what is going on around her.

I'm probably goofy as all get-out, but I replicated Terri's pose in those pictures - specifically the one where she is holding one arm near the elbow. I don't want to influence anyone by saying what I think, but try it.

I just did...and I am not getting your meaning...

Aedrys, I don't think Houze will let her talk. Not if he is smart. It will be like the O.J. trial. In fact, talking about parallels, Terri reminds me a little of Pamela Smart in New Hampshire...I think that was one of the first televised trials in the US. Very self-centered, got someone else to kill her husband. I think she will act like that in the trial.

I do agree with you about the presser. It looked to me like Terri wanted the attention on herself. Wherever the camera was pointing, she tried to be in the picture. She seemed very conscious of being watched. The others didn't seem like they even knew the camera was there. They were thinking about Kyron.

I always thought Terri looked extremely guilty in that first video, but at that time we were not allowed to say it, and in fact many posters went out of their way to deny that Terri looked or behaved oddly at all...kind of funny how clearly she shows guilt in this video now, with all of the info that has leaked out since...

To me, who was one of the fence people until maybe a week ago, it is funny that I saw her behavior as "guilty" way back in June. I no longer think it is likely that anyone but Terri did away with Kyron, but this video had nothing to do with my belief, even though she reeked of guilt on it.

I just looked at the picture again when this thread was started, and I thought the exact same thing! She keeps looking down like a guilty child. Her eyes are dry and her mouth is almost a straight line. She doesn't look sad, scared, or anything like that just ashamed.

This look:

2cnxt6t.jpg

Aedrys, I don't think Houze will let her talk. Not if he is smart. It will be like the O.J. trial. In fact, talking about parallels, Terri reminds me a little of Pamela Smart in New Hampshire...I think that was one of the first televised trials in the US. Very self-centered, got someone else to kill her husband. I think she will act like that in the trial.

I do agree with you about the presser. It looked to me like Terri wanted the attention on herself. Wherever the camera was pointing, she tried to be in the picture. She seemed very conscious of being watched. The others didn't seem like they even knew the camera was there. They were thinking about Kyron.

Oh no, no way is he EVER going to let her talk. No her on the stand, no her addressing the media, no nothing involving her talking. That's what I'm referring to. Unfortunately, Terri put so much out there before he came into the picture that keeps coming out that Houze has a HUGE obstacle ahead on him in his own client. I think he's going to want her quiet at trial too, and he's probably going to either coach her himself or find someone to coach on appropriate behavior at trial. I think he knows what kind of client he has and he's going to have to work some serious magic to get her a lighter sentence much less acquitted. I feel bad for him because I think Terri lied to him a lot at the start, and the more he keeps finding out, the more he has to deal with. She better hope he doesn't drop her one of these days if too many bad things come out that he just can't deal with. No wonder there's muzzling on her whole family. Houze has it cut out for him in this case for sure.

Pamela Smart testified in her own defense...did not work out too well.

I just did...and I am not getting your meaning...

It is not a relaxed position at all. In order to have your arm down like that with the other cross-ways and holding it, it requires maintaining a somewhat tense grab. Look at the others. They have their hands and arms in somewhat more of a natural position.

It is possible to make this a more relaxed hold, but in order to do so, you have to bend the elbow a bit. It's hard to maintain the (her) right arm down w/o grasping with a stronger grip.

Look at the thumb in the lower biceps muscle and the clenched fist of the downward arm.

I see that... are you saying it looks like anger? I can kind of see that, yes.

Look at the thumb in the lower biceps muscle and the clenched fist of the downward arm.

She's got the kleenex in the lowered arm. She needed to touch someone, I guess and decided to grab her own arm. Based on the swaying at the beginning, I wonder if she had a few drinks before this presser. She tends to get friendly (e.g. the sexting) when she gets a drink ("You r lucky u arent here. Dede gave me a drink about an hour ago").

http://www.koinlocal6.com/media/lib...-8d93-0979d33f4120/redacted_text_messages.pdf

To me, it is indicative of a somewhat holding posture, a protective stance. And as I practiced it, I (as a right-handed person) instinctively used my right arm to cross over to downward left arm. She did it opposite (right arm down, left arm crossing), which makes me wonder if she is a lefty - which may or may not matter in the grand scheme of things.

ETA: I may be over-thinking this, but if she is not a lefty, then the posture indicates she is "pulling away" from Captain Gates and "leaning" more toward Desiree.

To me, it is indicative of a somewhat holding posture, a protective stance. And as I practiced it, I (as a right-handed person) instinctively used my right arm to cross over to downward left arm. She did it opposite (right arm down, left arm crossing), which makes me wonder if she is a lefty - which may or may not matter in the grand scheme of things.

ETA: I may be over-thinking this, but if she is not a lefty, then the posture indicates she is "pulling away" from Captain Gates and "leaning" more toward Desiree.

Shes all over everyone.

To me it feels like I am trying to cover my stomach...not hold it the way Desiree did--but cover it....

Shes all over everyone.

Right...and that's what she is doing when she can't be in contact with anyone, physically at that moment.

"Arms can act as the doorway to the body and the self. When they are crossed, they form a closed defensive shield, blocking out the outside world. Shields act in two ways: one is to block incoming attacks and the other is a place behind which the person can hide and perhaps not be noticed."

~ snip

Crossed arms, especially when holding one another can show the person to be trying to keep themselves still. This can be to suppress any signals. It may also indicate repressed anger (I have to hold myself to prevent myself hitting you). In some cultures it also signals that the person is holding themself still so they can pay greater attention to you (and is hence a compliment)."

http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/parts_body_language/arm_body_language.htm

Something that has always jumped out at me about this video is the part where KH reaches around TH and puts his hand on DY's shoulder, in a comforting way. TH really comes unglued at this, and this is where she balls her fist up. This is very weird to me as well. MOO...:twocents:

Something that has always jumped out at me about this video is the part where KH reaches around TH and puts his hand on DY's shoulder, in a comforting way. TH really comes unglued at this, and this is where she balls her fist up. This is very weird to me as well. MOO...:twocents:

Yeah, I bet him reaching out to DY like that, reaching behind TH's back to do it, was very symbolic and upsetting to TH. He was supposed to be comforting TH! How dare he have empathy for the mother of his child! I cannot get over how selfish TH is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back