Found Deceased TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a frustrating case. Where is Alan?!?? My positive side says maybe he's just on a beach somewhere living a new life. My realistic side says there is not going to be a happy ending to this story. I just wish there were answers for his family, his husband, and the community. If this was random, planned or otherwise - it seems there is no evidence for LE to go on. I do hope they get phone and app data back soon, maybe it will help locate him. All MOO. Continuing to think of Alan.

The rapid fire sale of the home still does not sit well with me, especially when we know they had other available investment property (Airbnb) likely sitting vacant due to covid travel dropoff. Mortgage interest rates are at historic lows, AW worked in the financial services industry, and there’s plenty of ways to unlock equity to manage yourself through at a time like this without listing the family home within a couple of months of a major, traumatic, unresolved disappearance. Sorry but you cannot help but to wonder who stands to gain.

What did a carjacker get? The car wasn’t shopped or chopped, there was no big withdrawal from a cash machine we know of, and AW wasn’t adorned with jewels at the time, so I’m struggling for a motive here for this scenario.

It’s well past time for an update from the Dallas Police Department. If they want help from the public - and why wouldn’t they - then they need to share more information.

The rapid fire sale of the home still does not sit well with me, especially when we know they had other available investment property (Airbnb) likely sitting vacant due to covid travel dropoff. Mortgage interest rates are at historic lows, AW worked in the financial services industry, and there’s plenty of ways to unlock equity to manage yourself through at a time like this without listing the family home within a couple of months of a major, traumatic, unresolved disappearance. Sorry but you cannot help but to wonder who stands to gain.

What did a carjacker get? The car wasn’t shopped or chopped, there was no big withdrawal from a cash machine we know of, and AW wasn’t adorned with jewels at the time, so I’m struggling for a motive here for this scenario.

It’s well past time for an update from the Dallas Police Department. If they want help from the public - and why wouldn’t they - then they need to share more information.

Yes I would agree with that, why would any carjackers leave the car behind instead of taking off and selling it on? It doesn't make sense.

I believe Alan's disappearance is either one of two possible scenarios - either he was deliberately targeted that morning by someone who knew of his movements that day (although his use of a different gas station puts a doubt over this) or he chose to deliberately disappear of his own accord.

Yes I would agree with that, why would any carjackers leave the car behind instead of taking off and selling it on? It doesn't make sense.

I believe Alan's disappearance is either one of two possible scenarios - either he was deliberately targeted that morning by someone who knew of his movements that day (although his use of a different gas station puts a doubt over this) or he chose to deliberately disappear of his own accord.
Carjackers often leave a car to sit for a period of time to see if it is retrieved via GPS. Perhaps the car was the target, things went awry and it turned to murder. They got scared and abandoned the vehicle altogether. I was surprised at the crime rate and car jackings in that area. WTheck is going on with police there? Time for LE to step up their game, IMO.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Carjackers often leave a car to sit for a period of time to see if it is retrieved via GPS. Perhaps the car was the target, things went awry and it turned to murder. They got scared and abandoned the vehicle altogether. I was surprised at the crime rate and car jackings in that area. WTheck is going on with police there? Time for LE to step up their game, IMO.

Thanks for pointing that out roses, I didn't realize they did that - I obviously need to brush up on my carjacking knowledge!

I hope the police find out some answers soon about what happened to Alan, I feel so sorry for his poor family having to wait this long.

Carjackers often leave a car to sit for a period of time to see if it is retrieved via GPS.

Do you have any documentation for this statement? It’s extremely counterintuitive and goes against everything I’ve ever heard about carjacking. Based on my experience and research, carjackers do whatever they want to do with the car fast, fast, fast. Joyriding, chopshop, commit a crime. Never heard of these careful carjackers who want to make sure someone won’t track the car down. Doesn’t sound like something a petty criminal would ever do.

Do you have any documentation for this statement? It’s extremely counterintuitive and goes against everything I’ve ever heard about carjacking. Based on my experience and research, carjackers do whatever they want to do with the car fast, fast, fast. Joyriding, chopshop, commit a crime. Never heard of these careful carjackers who want to make sure someone won’t track the car down. Doesn’t sound like something a petty criminal would ever do.
And the experienced thieves know how to disable tracking devices. A quick Google search will show many ways they can be defeated.

I will share with you (paraphrased) from what LE imparted to my neighbor/me when my neighbor recently had their car stolen from their driveway! It's actually the quick buck for drugs Perp that would deploy a low-tech "cooling period" for a stolen car. However, there are all varieties of carjackers, and it's a much bigger problem than I would have ever imagined. Valiant is right; there are experienced thieves who know most of the work arounds.

For those who have GPS in their vehicles, placing an inexpensive, portable signal jammer inside the stolen vehicle is all it takes to disable a tracking signal. Or, a thief might use a handheld digital RF detector to find the tracking device and remove/disable it. The less tech-savvy know that if they hide a stolen vehicle in an underground garage or steel shipping container, the tracking signal goes dark, or they tuck it away (like AW's vehicle) and see if anyone comes to retrieve it. So lots of tricks of the trade, so to speak, and apparently all are used.

On an upbeat note, here are citizens who have taken this matter in to their own hands with great results!
With Car Heists At Record Levels, Citizen Sleuths Take To Facebook To Find Their Stolen Rides

Imo this was never about the car. This was never a car theft. It was always about AW.

So, all the talk about chop shops, joyriding, stripping, tracking system disabling, parting out, letting the car sit till it cools down - to me - all that stuff is irrelevant. They didn't want the car (just my opinion).

Again, I think this was all about AW, and I think it could have been one of two scenarios: either a targeted hired killing orchestrated by someone who was very very close to AW (but not work-related) and where money was the motive, - or a carjacking. Yes, a carjacking (not a car theft).

Carjackings are armed robberies. They are an urban culture crime. The one thing that defines them is that the driver/owner of the vehicle is always present. The driver/owner is often taken along with the vehicle, and is sometimes assaulted, threatened with extortion and/or sometimes kidnapped for ransom. In that sense, a carjacking is much more a "people" crime than a "property" crime (jmo)

I think another way to look at it is, a carjacking is no more an "auto theft" than a hijacking is just a "plane theft".

To solve this crime, LE has to figure out why AW was specifically targeted. All Jmo

Last edited:
I went to college with a girl who was carjacked by a guy on a multi-day crime spree which left several people dead, including her. He ditched a previous stolen car in her neighborhood then randomly carjacked her as she was returning home from the grocery store. He forced her to drive for a while, then killed her in a field when she tried to escape. He ditched her car and stole another one.
All this to say that this could be a carjacking by a perp trying to get out of the area after committing a different set of crimes. The other carjackings and burglaries in the area that we know about, as well as other crimes we don't know about that happened nearby are of particular interest to me right now.
The location where the car was left tells me that the perp either lives nearby, was picked up nearby, or walked to the bus station. I would also check all uber/lyft ride pickups in that area that morning.
All my opinions.

I’m in NO way disparaging Alan’s husband, but I’m still curious about why he literally panicked SO quickly when Alan didn’t come home.

I understand Alan was incredibly punctual, etc., but the trigger got pulled so fast. Of course we don’t really know if there were any texts or calls between Alan and his husband between when he left for the gym - maybe the video at the gas station is Alan texting his husband and saying “I’ll be home in 5 minutes.” Barring that I can’t imagine the immediate response.

Of course I cannot put myself in anyone’s shoes, but even though he had a work phone call, had it been my ex, I would’ve assumed he had either gotten info the meeting was cancelled/moved to a new time, or perhaps was going to take it on his cell phone. He’s a grown up (my ex), I would think he was completely capable of handling his own work affairs.

I’d love to know why LE has never released the video footage from the gas station. I’d love to know why there have been no searches. I’d love to know the info from the family that changed his case from want to locate to endangered, because the family got very quiet after that happened.

All speculation, MOO, IMO, etc.

I’m in NO way disparaging Alan’s husband, but I’m still curious about why he literally panicked SO quickly when Alan didn’t come home.

I understand Alan was incredibly punctual, etc., but the trigger got pulled so fast. Of course we don’t really know if there were any texts or calls between Alan and his husband between when he left for the gym - maybe the video at the gas station is Alan texting his husband and saying “I’ll be home in 5 minutes.” Barring that I can’t imagine the immediate response.

Of course I cannot put myself in anyone’s shoes, but even though he had a work phone call, had it been my ex, I would’ve assumed he had either gotten info the meeting was cancelled/moved to a new time, or perhaps was going to take it on his cell phone. He’s a grown up (my ex), I would think he was completely capable of handling his own work affairs.

I’d love to know why LE has never released the video footage from the gas station. I’d love to know why there have been no searches. I’d love to know the info from the family that changed his case from want to locate to endangered, because the family got very quiet after that happened.

All speculation, MOO, IMO, etc.

Very well summarized!

I went to college with a girl who was carjacked by a guy on a multi-day crime spree which left several people dead, including her. He ditched a previous stolen car in her neighborhood then randomly carjacked her as she was returning home from the grocery store. He forced her to drive for a while, then killed her in a field when she tried to escape. He ditched her car and stole another one.
All this to say that this could be a carjacking by a perp trying to get out of the area after committing a different set of crimes. The other carjackings and burglaries in the area that we know about, as well as other crimes we don't know about that happened nearby are of particular interest to me right now.
The location where the car was left tells me that the perp either lives nearby, was picked up nearby, or walked to the bus station. I would also check all uber/lyft ride pickups in that area that morning.
All my opinions.
I never considered this. Something new to ponder. Thank you!

amateur opinion and speculation

This is exactly why I’ve always thought Alan engineered his own disappearance. Normal people’s minds just don’t go from 0-60 that quickly without a suspicion about something. So either there was some ongoing legitimate concern on the husband’s part (other relationship, suicidal tendencies, someone with a grudge?) or an equally legitimate concern that Alan might want to “escape.” I have no strong feeling about whether he walked away or committed suicide, but either of those options seems so much more likely to me than hit men whose clients don’t require a body, or patient carjackers waiting to use their new ride until they make sure no one is tracking the vehicle down with GPS.

This is exactly why I’ve always thought Alan engineered his own disappearance. Normal people’s minds just don’t go from 0-60 that quickly without a suspicion about something. So either there was some ongoing legitimate concern on the husband’s part (other relationship, suicidal tendencies, someone with a grudge?) or an equally legitimate concern that Alan might want to “escape.” I have no strong feeling about whether he walked away or committed suicide, but either of those options seems so much more likely to me than hit men whose clients don’t require a body, or patient carjackers waiting to use their new ride until they make sure no one is tracking the vehicle down with GPS.
I have trained myself over time to resist the impulse to immediately dismiss any possibility, and this falls in that category (for me).

Pursuing this line of thinking, what about this man would suggest he decided to drop out? Unless he has been incorrectly portrayed, he had a great job, long term stable relationship, loving family, "buttoned up" lifestyle, hobby/investment of fixing up properties, and immediate plans to help with his niece's wedding arrangements. While anything can be lurking, he just seemed so well adjusted?

Pursuing this line of thinking, what about this man would suggest he decided to drop out? Unless he has been incorrectly portrayed, he had a great job, long term stable relationship, loving family, "buttoned up" lifestyle, hobby/investment of fixing up properties, and immediate plans to help with his niece's wedding arrangements. While anything can be lurking, he just seemed so well adjusted?

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

ya just never know.....

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

ya just never know.....
20 points for that reference!
For those of you who are literary buffs, Bridger is referring to a collection of poems by Robinson called "The Children of the Night".

I have trained myself over time to resist the impulse to immediately dismiss any possibility, and this falls in that category (for me).

I agree as to not ruling anything out because we don’t know obviously.

I guess the things that make me think it’s not a carjacking are:

The immediate response to panic within Alan being late (again if he had texted and said he’d be right home that’s a different story. I would get being worried right away)

There being no searches, flyers posted as far as I remember so I might very well be wrong.

Whatever the family expressed to LE to make it a Missing Endangered alert.
The quick sale of the house.

Almost no info from LE. I still don’t get why LE hasn’t gotten the gas station video and released it in its entirety - is that because they have a strong idea of where Alan is or the circumstances surrounding his disappearance?

The tiny window of opportunity from the time Alan left the gas station to when he would have arrived home. It just seems so unlikely although entirely possible that he met with foul play in that tiny window.

All speculation and MOO.

I agree as to not ruling anything out because we don’t know obviously.

I guess the things that make me think it’s not a carjacking are:

The immediate response to panic within Alan being late (again if he had texted and said he’d be right home that’s a different story. I would get being worried right away)

There being no searches, flyers posted as far as I remember so I might very well be wrong.

Whatever the family expressed to LE to make it a Missing Endangered alert.
The quick sale of the house.

Almost no info from LE. I still don’t get why LE hasn’t gotten the gas station video and released it in its entirety - is that because they have a strong idea of where Alan is or the circumstances surrounding his disappearance?

The tiny window of opportunity from the time Alan left the gas station to when he would have arrived home. It just seems so unlikely although entirely possible that he met with foul play in that tiny window.

All speculation and MOO.
Speculation only, I believe LE and RJ know that Alan is deceased. That there is sufficient evidence to support that. LE will not tip their hand on what they know, as it is a criminal investigation.

As far as RJ panicking when AW was 15 mins late, I get it. I had something very similar happen. When you live with someone who lives a military precision life and is extremely predictable....you know. And your gut tells you. In my case, my loved one wasn't injured or killed, but a work colleague was. I knew immediately that something was horribly wrong, and I was right. RJ was right too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member