Found Deceased TX - Alexis Sharkey, 26, Houston, 27 Nov 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
either way, it means very little. It's just the place where they left her and indicates nothing about how or when they did it or even from which direction they arrived or left, does it?
It depends I suppose. I was wondering why there hadn't been an arrest, and my mind wondered to the 'lane', CCTV and direction of traffic.

I am sorry if you thought I was being snarky - I wasn't trying to come across that way:) I did, in fact, think that you were talking about the feeder road - that is one way. The road that she was found on is not designated a one way road, you are correct, but two cars cannot travel on it going the opposite directions at the same time that's why @HouDat had to move to the side to let the car pass. Hope this helps. Again, usually you find these super narrow roads in the country - it is a very strange road for the area.

PS. Aren't they the best? I just love my girl!!
BBM, absolute soul mates.

No, I didn't think you were being snarky. Local knowledge is a big help in cases. You and @HouDat have been very helpful!

BBM, absolute soul mates.

No, I didn't think you were being snarky. Local knowledge is a big help in cases. You and @HouDat have been very helpful!
Of course! I really hope to see an arrest soon. I have driven by there so many times just out running errands / visiting family and I think of her every time and I probably always will. I feel so sad for those who loved her.

Edited: space in my sentence!

I am sorry if you thought I was being snarky - I wasn't trying to come across that way:) I did, in fact, think that you were talking about the feeder road - that is one way. The road that she was found on is not designated a one way road, you are correct, but two cars cannot travel on it going the opposite directions at the same time that's why @HouDat had to move to the side to let the car pass. Hope this helps. Again, usually you find these super narrow roads in the country - it is a very strange road for the area.

PS. Aren't they the best? I just love my girl!!
I’m glad we got the road cleared up I’m also from Houston AKA Cra cra roads lol.
I have a labradoodle too.
Moving on. we need arrests! (For tampering w a deceased body). Still my guess.

I’m glad we got the road cleared up I’m also from Houston AKA Cra cra roads lol.
I have a labradoodle too.
Moving on. we need arrests! (For tampering w a deceased body). Still my guess.
Awe, look at all the Houstonians and Labradoodle lovers on this thread! @Jackielee09, I don't think I will be shocked by the outcome / charges. I do believe they have exactly what they need... the story hasn't been on the news in a while and they don't appear to be searching for anyone... all MOO.

If this is an OD, and someone has moved her there, what would the actual charges be?
Moo
I'm not a US attorney, so not sure whether relevant:
Texas Penal Code § 42.08 | FindLaw - This is the relevant code for Abuse of a corpse. My best guess is (a)(1) - but I am wondering whether Tampering with Evidence would also come into play?
(a) A person commits an offense if the person, without legal authority, knowingly:

(1) disinters, disturbs, damages, dissects, in whole or in part, carries away, or treats in an offensive manner a human corpse;

(2) conceals a human corpse knowing it to be illegally disinterred;

(3) sells or buys a human corpse or in any way traffics in a human corpse;

(4) transmits or conveys, or procures to be transmitted or conveyed, a human corpse to a place outside the state;  or

(5) vandalizes, damages, or treats in an offensive manner the space in which a human corpse has been interred or otherwise permanently laid to rest.

(b) An offense under this section is a state jail felony, except that an offense under Subsection (a)(5) is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) In this section, “human corpse” includes:

(1) any portion of a human corpse;

(2) the cremated remains of a human corpse;  or

(3) any portion of the cremated remains of a human corpse.

(d) If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another section of this code, the actor may be prosecuted under either section or both sections.

(e) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor:

(1) as a member or agent of a cemetery organization, removed or damaged anything that had been placed in or on any portion of the organization's cemetery in violation of the rules of the organization;  or

(2) removed anything:

(A) placed in the cemetery in violation of the rules of the cemetery organization;  or

(B) placed in the cemetery by or with the cemetery organization's consent but that, in the organization's judgment, had become wrecked, unsightly, or dilapidated.

(f) In this section, “cemetery” and “cemetery organization” have the meanings assigned by Section 711.001, Health and Safety Code .

Also this link has useful info on length of sentence (6 months - 2 years in jail and upto a $10,000 fine) and examples of abuse.

Abuse of a Corpse | What is the punishment for Abuse of Corpse in Texas?

If the person(s) who moved a corpse was / were also involved in the delivery of drugs that caused an overdose, their sentence could be even longer.

Sec. 481.141. MANUFACTURE OR DELIVERY OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE CAUSING DEATH OR SERIOUS BODILY INJURY. (a) If at the guilt or innocence phase of the trial of an offense described by Subsection (b), the judge or jury, whichever is the trier of fact, determines beyond a reasonable doubt that a person died or suffered serious bodily injury as a result of injecting, ingesting, inhaling, or introducing into the person's body any amount of the controlled substance manufactured or delivered by the defendant, regardless of whether the controlled substance was used by itself or with another substance, including a drug, adulterant, or dilutant, the punishment for the offense is increased by one degree.

(b) This section applies to an offense otherwise punishable as a state jail felony, felony of the third degree, or felony of the second degree under Section 481.112, 481.1121, 481.113, 481.114, or 481.122.

(c) Notwithstanding Article 42.08, Code of Criminal Procedure, if punishment for a defendant is increased under this section, the court may not order the sentence for the offense to run concurrently with any other sentence the court imposes on the defendant.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 712, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE CHAPTER 481. TEXAS CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT

Based on what?
Optimism? Signs indicate that police do have evidence they're working through but the continued lack of arrests makes me expect more and more as time goes on that she was not murdered. In a homicide they'll charge anyone and everyone at all connected them let them turn in each other in exchange for reducing our dismissing charges - see the complex murder of Celia Sweeney.

I'm becoming inclined to think this is more of a Paighton Houston case though. Her friends were ripped apart by the internet and their sworn statements were disbelieved just because of minor discrepancies. Her body wasn't found for months but it still took some time more for abuse of corpse charges to be filed even though the final perpetrator of that crime has been in custody during the preliminary investigation and released. I expect that's the sort of thing that's happening right now in this case although so little is coming out I could turn out to be completely mistaken.

If this is an OD, and someone has moved her there, what would the actual charges be?
Moo

At least abuse of a corpse, which is a felony. But this is interesting:

Apparently, despite overwhelming support, Texas does not have a Good Samaritan law which makes it easy for drug users/abusers to call 911 and report an OD. The proposed laws were vetoed by the governor. So ostensibly, that leads to more dumping of OD victims, even if they’re not dead, instead of attempts to get help.

Read Dr. Carlos Tirado’s Texas Good Samaritan Law Op-Ed - CARMAhealth

Optimism? Signs indicate that police do have evidence they're working through but the continued lack of arrests makes me expect more and more as time goes on that she was not murdered. In a homicide they'll charge anyone and everyone at all connected them let them turn in each other in exchange for reducing our dismissing charges - see the complex murder of Celia Sweeney.

I'm becoming inclined to think this is more of a Paighton Houston case though. Her friends were ripped apart by the internet and their sworn statements were disbelieved just because of minor discrepancies. Her body wasn't found for months but it still took some time more for abuse of corpse charges to be filed even though the final perpetrator of that crime has been in custody during the preliminary investigation and released. I expect that's the sort of thing that's happening right now in this case although so little is coming out I could turn out to be completely mistaken.

Looks like that is how its leaning. I remember the Paighton case, her poor friend even felt the need to get a lawyer.

It is possible she did run off and jump a fence. For sure then she would have been under the influence.
The thing is though, unlike Paighton, there does not seem to be much evidence of prior drug use, not that it means she hasn't.
If it is an OD, it may not even rise to abuse of corpse. Paighton was buried. Alexis was placed there. We don't know if she was already naked. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong