GUILTY TX - Amanda 34 & Alyssa Broderick 17, Willie Simmons III 18, fatally shot, Austin, Apr 2021 arrest

My friend's son accepted a football scholarship at college, starting in the fall. The whole family is over the moon happy and proud. It's a looong process to get to that point, and I bet the boyfriend was excited about his future.

That is very poignant to me as well.

All my children play a variety of high school sports. Getting a scholarship for a sport in NCAA Division I is exceedingly difficult in regards to dedication, playing ability, as well has having a natural 'gift' for the chosen sport.

The competition is fierce and can start in say, the fourth or fifth grade with competitive youth leagues. Then, a certain number of parents start to stack private coaching lessons on top of league participation.

In the last four years, our large high school has produced exactly one Division I "full ride" athletic scholarship winner that I know of.

Last edited:

What's odd the DM says they were shot at the apartments but all the yellow crime tape was in front of Trader Joe's to Starbuck's across the street from the apartments. Witnesses say the shooting in the parking lot. I'm confused if shot them inside why did they put crime tape over the Starbucks/Trader Joe parking lot. Confused.

What's odd the DM says they were shot at the apartments but all the yellow crime tape was in front of Trader Joe's to Starbuck's across the street from the apartments. Witnesses say the shooting in the parking lot. I'm confused if shot them inside why did they put crime tape over the Starbucks/Trader Joe parking lot. Confused.
Starbucks/parking lot was used as the staging area for LE. Perhaps they put up the crime tape to keep the public and press out of the LE working area.

jmo

Starbucks/parking lot was used as the staging area for LE. Perhaps they put up the crime tape to keep the public and press out of the LE working area.

jmo

The address of the shooting is exactly the Starbucks parking lot. I caught it live yesterday on the police scanner.
Witnesses say they saw him shoot at them in the car.

"On the day of the shooting, Austin police said Stephen and Amanda were meeting for a scheduled visit with their son, when he then reportedly opened fire on all the adults in the vehicle."
Deadly Austin shooting highlights difficulties faced by family members of sexual assault, family violence offenders | KXAN Austin

The address of the shooting is exactly the Starbucks parking lot. I caught it live yesterday on the police scanner.
Witnesses say they saw him shoot at them in the car.

"On the day of the shooting, Austin police said Stephen and Amanda were meeting for a scheduled visit with their son, when he then reportedly opened fire on all the adults in the vehicle."
Deadly Austin shooting highlights difficulties faced by family members of sexual assault, family violence offenders | KXAN Austin
I stand corrected. I thought the shooting was in their apartment, with a minor child spared.

jmo

I stand corrected. I thought the shooting was in their apartment, with a minor child spared.

jmo

It's confusing to me and I live close by. I guess it happened near or just at the entrance of the complex. But other reports say it was in the Starbucks parking lot and on Citizen's App people claimed to have witnessed it. Hopefully, it will be clarified soon. Depressing no one took Amanda and her teen daughter seriously enough. They released him on low bail for the sexual assault of a child, and also took off his ankle bracelet. That NEVER should have happened.

Scheduled Visit?
@Marysmith Thx for your post.
Article's phrasing* "their son" not step son suggests that the boy was from their marriage.
Iirc they were estranged w divorce pending. Was this "scheduled visit" a routine change of custody between parents, per ct order or mutual agreement?
ETA: So was the meeting really more a scheduled custody transfer of the son?

* Also from link: "The investigation revealed that Ms. Broderick and the suspect were meeting for a scheduled visit with their son when the collision occurred, and Mr. Broderick fired shots, killing all three victims, before fleeing the scene. The couple’s son, who was present during the shooting, but physically unharmed, was later located away from the scene where he was turned over to APD officers." Police report names the 3 shooting victims including Amanda Broderick, former wife of shooter Stephen Broderick, who was arrested this morning... the two were meeting for a scheduled visit with their son - Four Points News Ap 19

Last edited:
“State District Judge Karen Sage agreed to remove the monitor despite Amanda's pleas, claiming it was a 'pretty common thing to do'.”

This part fills me with rage.

These murders were preventable, Karen.

Judges like this need to be recalled and removed from their jobs immediately. To introduce additional risks to women in domestic abuse situations is to add more fuel to the fire. She literally signed the forms that allowed these three people to be murdered.

I am so sick of tired of women having to scream at the top of their lungs that they're in danger, while the judges sign papers, unflinchingly, freeing dangerous individuals because "that's just what we do" instead of assessing the actual risks of death this family, and the greater community at large, faced.

Which one of us is next!? What are we supposed to do!? It hurts me even more that this judge is a woman herself. How could she be so callous and clueless to the reality so many women face? The blood is on her hands this time. When anyone goes through what this mother went through, with her own legal representation, out of the fear of her and her children's lives, when are you going to LISTEN TO WOMEN?

MOO.

These murders were preventable, Karen.

Judges like this need to be recalled and removed from their jobs immediately. To introduce additional risks to women in domestic abuse situations is to add more fuel to the fire. She literally signed the forms that allowed these three people to be murdered.

I am so sick of tired of women having to scream at the top of their lungs that they're in danger, while the judges sign papers, unflinchingly, freeing dangerous individuals because "that's just what we do" instead of assessing the actual risks of death this family, and the greater community at large, faced.

Which one of us is next!? What are we supposed to do!? It hurts me even more that this judge is a woman herself. How could she be so callous and clueless to the reality so many women face? The blood is on her hands this time. When anyone goes through what this mother went through, with her own legal representation, out of the fear of her and her children's lives, when are you going to LISTEN TO WOMEN?

MOO.
Excellent post!! This has to stop!

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is a VICTIM FRIENDLY discussion forum. Any speculation that suggests blame on the victims of this crime is a serious violation of Websleuths Terms of Service, and will result in removed posts and possible loss of posting privileges. Please do not reply to posts that suggest any of the victims of this crime are to blame. Report them instead.

Thank you for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly according to the TOS we all agreed to when we joined.

CocoChanel
Administrator/Moderator

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy