TX - Anthony Templet, 5, missing since 2007, now 17, arrested, charged in father's death, June 2019

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by doodles1211, Jun 25, 2019.

1. doodles1211

doodles1211 Well-Known Member

Boy who disappeared 11 years ago arrested, charged in father's shooting death

VIDEO AT LINK

A boy taken from Houston considered missing by family is in jail for manslaughter in Baton Rouge, La.

The now-17-year-old is accused of fatally shooting his father.

Anthony Templet was 5 years old and with his dad Burt when family in Houston last saw him.

One decade later, authorities in Baton Rouge found them. Anthony shot Burt, investigators said. His sister told CBS affiliate WAFB the teen’s mugshot tells only part of a violent story that started in Houston.

“After 11 years of waiting to hear if my brother was alive, he is found,” said Natasha, the sister, according to WAFB. “He has been secluded and abused all these years by his own father. My brave brother had to defend himself for the last time against that evil man.”

Between 2001 and 2002, officers charged Burt Templet with assault three times, according to court records. A judge dismissed two cases.

Five years later, Templet’s ex-wife filed for a protective order. Within two months, family in Houston saw Anthony for the last time. He was with his dad in Burt’s red Silverado.

Weeks later, Burt Templet’s ex-wife file a custody case that was transferred to another district. It was eventually dismissed, according to court records.

After the shooting, Anthony Templet claimed his dad got drunk and started a fight, according to East Baton Rouge Sheriff deputies. The teen grabbed two handguns, in case one failed to fire, investigators said. Anthony shot his father three times then called 911.

Burt Templet died from his injuries days later.

For now, the charge against Anthony Templet is manslaughter. However, a grand jury could choose to upgrade the charge to murder or decide it was self-defense and let him go free, said East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore.
    That decision could take months.

2. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

Wow. Hard to be sympathetic with the kidnapper/victim. A lot of dismissals leading up to the kidnapping - I wonder if this is common? Also, 2 handguns just in case? I wonder if Anthony saw his chance to escape this time and took it.

since80, MsFacetious, Trident and 4 others like this.
  3. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Certainly Anthony's sister seems to think so:

“He has been secluded and abused all these years by his own father. My brave brother had to defend himself for the last time against that evil man.”

4. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

Right, but premeditated? Or deadly self-defense? I hope this kid gets the help he needs. I would hope he doesn't end up in prison.

5. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Something in between, I suspect.

Years ago, as a teenager, I worked in a pub with an older woman who had served time for killing her husband. After YEARS of emotional and physical abuse, and following the latest attack, she had snapped and stabbed him once as he slept. The judge had not wanted to jail her but had to, only because the husband was asleep at the time. She served two years of a four year sentence and had the full support of her family, and HIS family. You wonder why these people don't just escape bad relationships, but I guess it's not always so clear cut.

Glad that Anthony can finally be reunited with the family he was taken from and I hope, if the abuse allegation is true, that he gets off lightly.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  6. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Well in this case he claims father started a fight. So it's not the same as killing someone who is sleeping.

since80, CoverMeCagney and Podengo like this.
  7. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB