TX - Antonio & Dawn Armstrong, both 42, fatally shot, Houston, 29 Jul 2016 *Mistrial Retrial 1/6/20*

Discussion in 'Currently Awaiting Trial' started by Indy Anna, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

2. mocity

mocity Verified family -Cheryl Henry & Andy Atkinson case

What are people's thoughts on this one?

3. Gardenista

Since the trial wasn't streamed I really don't know.

Niner and mocity like this.
  4. jamesbond

jamesbond New Member

Update around 4pm CST:

Source - Twitter feed of Courtney Fischer (CourtneyABC13)

"We are “HOPELESSLY DEADLOCKED” was the note jurors sent the judge at 4pm. It’s the 2nd note jurors sent the judge (w same sentiment). Again, judge told them to keep trying. Jury will leave at 5pm and return at 9am tomorrow"

My question - At what point does exhaustion/frustration set in and they decide one way just to get it done?

I am not underestimating their commitment to civic duty.

sindydee, GarAndTeed, Niner and 2 others like this.
  5. Gardenista

6. mocity

Another with basically the same information
    AJ Armstrong jury deadlocked a 2nd time in double murder trial

"
    HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- For a second time on Thursday, jurors deliberating the fate of A.J. Armstrong in his double murder trial informed the judge they are deadlocked on a verdict. In a note for this occasion, though, it used "hopelessly deadlocked" to characterized discussions.

Late in the day, the jury was told to continue working out a decision. Jurors began deliberating just 24 hours ago.

The jury first informed the judge of a deadlock about an hour and a half after it resumed deliberations Thursday morning.

If a stalemate persists, the judge could read the Allen Charge, which warns the panel a new set of jurors would have to be called upon to hear the same evidence and have the same difficult time trying to decide. "

7. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

My thoughts are that I expected a hung jury because this is not a cut and dried case. There is really no direct evidence, it’s all circumstantial, and flimsy at that IMHO. But I admit that my sentiments are that I don’t WANT the son to be guilty. Some of the prosecution’s witnesses seemed very sympathetic to the accused son - former coaches and headmaster. If those were the best witnesses they had, they seemed very weak. What I don’t understand is why the defense did not bring up the tip the police apparently got that the parents had been involved in a prostitution ring. That was reported in the news, and the defense admitted they should have investigated that further at the time but did not. I would have expected they would have brought that forward at trial but they did not.
    Teen’s Alleged Murder Of NFL Dad, Mother Now Involves Claims Of Prostitution Ring, Death Threats

So, I admit my bias. I want a hung jury. Or better yet acquittal. Though this is local to me, I do not personally know any of the key figures. I am very familiar with the schools and locales, and I just don’t want to believe this young man killed his parents. Purely an emotional reaction. I would not have been fit to serve as a juror in this trial.

Indy Anna, Swirlz, GarAndTeed and 2 others like this.
  8. mocity

@CocoChanel

Me too. I am also local and have friends that do know the parents and the son. They aren't close friends but knew them and their friend know the son. Its hard for anyone to imagine. I wish there was better evidence one way or the other.

9. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

I agree with what you said CocoChanel about not wanting the son to be guilty. And since the trial wasn't shown live - can't really tell from the news articles all that was said on the stand. I hate these cases that don't show the trial or very bad tweeter feeds.

10. Niner

Friday, April 26th:
    *Trial continues (Day 14-VERDICT WATCH!) (@ 9am CT) – TX – Antonio & Dawn Armstrong (both 42) (July 29, 2016, Houston) – Antonio “A.J.” Armstrong, Jr. (18/16 @ time of crime) arrested (7/29/16), charged (8/1/16) & arraigned (7/26/17) with capital murder. Plead not guilty. $200K bond. Harris County
    Judge rules teen to stand trial as adult. Posted bond (4/12/17) & released-terms house arrest & to wear GPS ankle monitor; random drug testing.
    Trial started 4/2/19. 7 women & 5 men on jury with 1 woman alternate (Juror #12 excused 4/5/19). Trial scheduled until end of April.
    Trial days 1 (4/2/19) thru Day 11 (4/23/19) reference post #152 here:
    VERDICT WATCH - TX - Antonio & Dawn Armstrong, both 42, fatally shot, Houston, 29 July 2016 *Arrest*

4/24/19 Day 12: Closing arguments. Jury instructions. And Jurors have the case – Verdict watch. Jurors deliberated for about 3 hours. Will continue deliberating on 4/25.
    4/25/19 Day 13: Jurors deliberating the fate of A.J. Armstrong in his double murder trial Thursday informed the judge twice they were deadlocked. The jury first informed the judge of a deadlock about an hour & a half after it resumed deliberations Thursday morning. Judge could read the Allen Charge, which warns the panel a new set of jurors would have to be called upon to hear the same evidence and have the same difficult time trying to decide. Day 2 of deliberations ended at 5 p.m., and jurors are expected back at 9 a.m. Friday, 4/26. So far, the jury had deliberated for at least eight hours between the two days.

Indy Anna likes this.
  11. mocity

Deadlocked jury in Armstrong trial continues deliberations Friday

"On Thursday, jurors sent two notes to Judge Kelli Johnson. One asked for advice about how to break a deadlock, and the other indicated they were hopelessly deadlocked. On both occasions, Johnson encouraged jurors to work through their differences.

Armstrong’s attorney said the apparent impasse was a good sign that at least one of the jurors did not agree with the state’s case.

In their closing Wednesday, prosecutors argued Armstrong is a convincing liar who killed his parents because he was angry with them for a number of reasons.

The defense argued that Armstrong was hastily developed as a suspect by investigators.

Deliberations resumed at 9 a.m. Friday.

Click2Houston.com plans to offer a livestream of the verdict whenever it happens."

Swirlz, Niner and Gardenista like this.
  12. Gardenista

No questions from jurors today so far

Indy Anna, Swirlz and Niner like this.
  13. Niner

AzPistonsGirl, Swirlz and Gardenista like this.
  14. Gardenista

15. Gardenista

16. Gardenista

AzPistonsGirl and MsArk like this.
  17. mocity

I agree with someone that posted earlier. If they keep denying a mistrial at some point people just flip to one side or the other.

AzPistonsGirl, Niner, Linskid and 2 others like this.
  18. jamesbond

jamesbond New Member

Yes that was me...I hypothesize that at some point they will either flip or want to pass the responsibility to another set of jurors and call it a deadlock.

19. Gardenista

20. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

This is so difficult to endure as an observer, I canNOT imagine what this would be like for the family OR the jurors. I am thinking at this point there is one holdout. I am unsure what side I think the holdout would likely be on. I am leaning towards the holdout(s) being for conviction, mostly because I do not want him to be guilty. But also because if the holdout(s) are for acquittal, what an awful situation for them to be in. I guess because I want an acquittal, and, if I were the lone holdout voting that way, it would be such a immense burden to bear to stay fast to your belief if the majority were against you.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019