TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot by police at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by GuyfromCanada, Oct 12, 2019.

1. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

Atatiana Jefferson’s mother, Yolanda Carr, dies after illness, attorney says
    https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article239124768.html

Yolanda Carr, the mother of Atatiana Jefferson, died in her Fort Worth home early Thursday morning after an illness, according to family attorney Lee Merritt.
    Atatiana was killed by a Fort Worth, TX police officer while serving as the caregiver for Ms. Carr, who had recently taken ill,” Merritt announced on Twitter on Thursday. “Memorial Service details will follow.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article239124768.html#storylink=cpy

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article239124768.html#storylink=cpy

2. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

That poor little boy...lost grandpa and grandma in the last few months after watching his beloved aunt killed for no good reason. All this after a fun sleepover on a holiday weekend.

3. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

Oh my gosh. The awful things just keep coming for this family. I am so sorry for Atatiana's sister and her family to have to bury one more person in such a short time. I hope her nephew is doing okay with all of this, poor little guy!

4. WichitaFalls

WichitaFalls Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking . . . this poor family. :( So much loss.

5. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

6. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]@leemerrittesq

grammieto5 and stephlovescheese like this.
  7. JerseyGirl

8. grammieto5

grammieto5 Well-Known Member

I hope the reason for this does not lost. I hope rioters don't push out the peaceful protesters. Zion is such a strong brave little guy, good luck to him.

denise_109 likes this.
  9. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

Indictment. He was reckless to have shot through the window, but it was otherwise not malevolent, IMO, unless there's more to the story than I understand. I doubt the murder charge will get a conviction, but I am glad that there is some attempt to bring justice for this young woman and the little boy who was traumatized that night.

Fort Worth police officer who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson indicted on murder charge

"Had the officer not resigned, I would have fired him for violations for several policies, including our use of force policy, our de-escalation policy and unprofessional conduct," Police Chief Ed Kraus told reporters...."

"...The bodycam video released publicly shows the perspective of an officer outside the home, peering into a window using a flashlight and spotting someone inside standing near a window and telling her, "Put your hands up — show me your hands." A single shot is fired seconds later.

Jefferson's nephew told authorities that she had taken a handgun from her purse when she heard noises outside and pointed it toward the window, according to an arrest warrant. But police have said she was within her rights to protect herself."

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Betty P, sds71 and grammieto5 like this.
  10. JerseyGirl