TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was within her rights to do that. It's the most rational thing she could have done. According to Ft. Worth police, the officer violated several policies, one being the failure to identify himself

Fort Worth police officer who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson indicted on murder charge

I'm not an expert by any means, but wasn't there a safer way for the officer to handle this situation? Could he have taken cover outside the house and called into the house, identifying himself and telling the person to come out? Why was creeping in the window, close enough to startle the victim and put himself in danger?

Serious question, I'm curious as to how this situation could have been handled better.

There were fifty different ways to handle it. He had probably been to a hundred different calls of this nature. Music playing from a house at midnight with the front door open. Big deal. No need to take cover. Take cover from what? I’m not going to second guess him because something caused him to make a lap around the house first before going to the front door. Only he knows that.

Unless you mean “creeping by the window” he was not creeping IN a window which carries the connotation of crawling in the window of an occupied house. From my understanding the officer was walking by the window, the victim not knowing the police were called, draws a gun and points it at the officer.

A series of missteps that led to a death but certainly not murder.

I’m not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. All I know is what I read in the media. The officer walked around the house in search of an intruder and what he found was a handgun being pointed at him. I’ve never been in that situation but what jury is going to convict him based on that evidence.

He didn’t murder anyone. To commit murder he would have gotten out of his cruiser and thought to himself “this seems like a good time to kill someone”.

You give away your anti-police bias by your statements such as “ do you cops”. That’s a clear indication that you look down your nose at the police and you have no use for them. You don’t have a clue about what that officer was like and it’s laughable that you “ know” that he joined the department so he could drive around in a flash patrol car.

Out of curiosity how many police officer have you come in contact with and under what circumstances for you to form these opinions?
I do have an anti-police bias. 100%. I'm glad you picked up on it 'cause I wasn't trying to hide it. I'm proud to proclaim it and I have no problems telling people that the police are not our friends and we shouldn't treat them as if they are. The police are agents of the state whose job is to enforce the status quo. They work hand-in-hand with the prosecution (which is inherently political in nature) to do this. I live in an area where that status quo... is not so great for a lot of people (just for reference: that neighborhood where Michael Brown was shot? A stone's throw away from me). No, I'm not going to cheer the people whose job is to defend that status quo.

The police operate on a presumption of guilt, so I'm going to do likewise and presume their own guilt. I do look down at the police and I do live my life with no use for them. Staying away from the police has definitely been the better course of action than engaging with them, in my experience and in the experience of many people I know. On the other hand, I do know what that officer is like through his words and actions. Cops make a judgment off of somebody based on how you interpret what they do or say, and proceed from there with a presumption of guilt. That's what you do, so that's what I'm going to do to you. There's a certain "personality profile" that fits a lot of people who become cops. You like to profile people, so people are going to profile you. Aaron Dean fit my profile of the "typical cop," as did the guy on the show. Is that limited to my experience? Yeah. So what's my experience? Well, let's go down the list...

I know a guy who had a run-in with the local police when he was 16. Why? Because he got into a fight with a kid who was an officer's brother. They've been harassing him ever since, twenty-plus years, for something that happened in high school. Every chance they get, they pull him over and find some reason to give him a ticket. When his truck was stolen, they basically just said, "Too bad," and left it at that. Another guy I know gets harassed by his local police essentially because the mayor and the city attorney tell them to. This guy's a pretty vocal critic of the mayor, and oddly enough, whenever he raises a stink about something, he somehow magically finds himself getting pulled over by a cop for one reason or another. I know another dude who was in prison for three years for some bogus white-collar crime and another guy who was in prison for five years for a sexual crime he didn't commit. I also know people whose family members have been shot and killed by police (maybe justifiable, maybe not--certainly the family members didn't think so), and I myself was frequently harassed by police (thankfully never arrested) in my younger days (during college and shortly thereafter) because I "fit the profile" of a potential troublemaker--I kept to myself, I was quiet, I was a social outcast, and above all, I was ugly. I was a big guy with a fairly mean-looking face and I often looked like I was brooding. In school I was drawn to the "dark" elements and frequently wrote essays, plays, stories, or poems (I was an English major) that examined the dark side of human nature. I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia when I was 15 and I was not shy about admitting that. People always assumed that I was up to no good. I tended to make people, especially women, uncomfortable simply by being alive. Even to this day people tend to be scared of me when they first meet or even see me. We've all seen visible examples in the last year of how white women weaponize their womanhood by calling the police on bad (i.e., black) guys. I could've told you about this basic phenomenon from personal experience 20 years ago.

That's not even getting into stuff like quotas, or the police being used as a collection agency, or the "good ol' boys" culture which pervades a lot of small-town police forces.

I tend to hang out with the lower-crust of society. Remember, the police exist to defend the status quo, which ultimately involves keeping the wealth in place (that's actually literally the reason why the institution of the police force was created in the first place). Although I actually come from a middle-class white neighborhood, that's not where I fit in. This kind of stuff happens all the time in the places where I hang out. Does it happen often in the lovely suburbs where all the white women who hold the real political power in this country live? Probably not as much, I'd assume.

You can stick your head in the sand and pretend stuff like this doesn't happen, but it does, and it goes a long way towards forming people's opinions of the police. When the police make mistakes, it can be world-ending for the people they victimize. Even if it doesn't end in death or false imprisonment, it can end in lifelong social stigma and ostracization.

And of course I don't think the jury's going to convict him.

Again, the question: would you give anyone other than an officer the benefit of the doubt that you're giving Aaron Dean?

Look at this one. A dual citizen, Australian American living in Minnesota with her American fiance, heard a woman screaming in the lane behind her house. She called the police and when they came she walked up to the car to explain to them what had happened and they shot her through the window of the car. They were frightened of a woman in her pyjamas.
MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

Look at this one. A dual citizen, Australian American living in Minnesota with her American fiance, heard a woman screaming in the lane behind her house. She called the police and when they came she walked up to the car to explain to them what had happened and they shot her through the window of the car. They were frightened of a woman in her pyjamas.
MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

Yes look at it. A quota hire Somalian officer who should have never been hired in the first place. He was hired because some politician insisted that the police department look like the community as a whole. For some reason there is a large Number of Somalian people living in the Twin Cities.

Fort Worth Mayor, Others Subpoenaed by Former Officer in Atatiana Jefferson Murder Trial

Attorneys for the former Fort Worth police officer accused of murdering Atatiana Jefferson have subpoenaed the mayor and other city officials for the first day of the trial on Nov. 16.

They’ve also subpoenaed news organizations including NBC 5 for information about how many stories have been done on the case – a sign they may ask for a change of venue because of pre-trial publicity.

Trial delayed for Texas officer who shot Black woman in home

Aaron Dean’s trial had been scheduled to begin Nov. 16, more than two years after he shot 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson during a late-night wellness check at her mother’s house.

But Tarrant County court officials now say that date will only be a scheduling hearing and Dean’s case will not go to trial before Nov. 29.

A Tarrant County judge on Tuesday scheduled Aaron Dean’s trial in the fatal shooting of 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson for Jan. 10, the [URL='https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article255829351.html?fbclid=IwAR0lWu9kExANT_kIEDdUAOsHm_lcmhzCPVK1_k-aMnh26siziVo3q7ee_fM']Fort Worth Star-Telegramreports. Jury selection is set to begin six days earlier, although Judge David Hagerman indicated he's expecting Dean's lawyers to seek a change of venue.

A location change could further hold up a case, which has been delayed repeatedly over the more than two years since Dean shot Jefferson during a late-night wellness check at her mother’s house. His case was among many that were postponed when the coronavirus pandemic caused courts across the country to postpone jury trials.

[/URL]
Trial set for Texas officer who shot Black woman in home

Trial delayed for Texas officer who shot Black woman in home

Hagerman tentatively scheduled jury selection to begin on May 9 and opening statements on May 16.

“No further continuances will be granted in this case,” Hagerman said.

Any further pretrial motions, including a defense request to move the trial out of Tarrant County, are tentatively scheduled to be heard on May 2.

I do have an anti-police bias. 100%. I'm glad you picked up on it 'cause I wasn't trying to hide it. I'm proud to proclaim it and I have no problems telling people that the police are not our friends and we shouldn't treat them as if they are. The police are agents of the state whose job is to enforce the status quo. They work hand-in-hand with the prosecution (which is inherently political in nature) to do this. I live in an area where that status quo... is not so great for a lot of people (just for reference: that neighborhood where Michael Brown was shot? A stone's throw away from me). No, I'm not going to cheer the people whose job is to defend that status quo.

The police operate on a presumption of guilt, so I'm going to do likewise and presume their own guilt. I do look down at the police and I do live my life with no use for them. Staying away from the police has definitely been the better course of action than engaging with them, in my experience and in the experience of many people I know. On the other hand, I do know what that officer is like through his words and actions. Cops make a judgment off of somebody based on how you interpret what they do or say, and proceed from there with a presumption of guilt. That's what you do, so that's what I'm going to do to you. There's a certain "personality profile" that fits a lot of people who become cops. You like to profile people, so people are going to profile you. Aaron Dean fit my profile of the "typical cop," as did the guy on the show. Is that limited to my experience? Yeah. So what's my experience? Well, let's go down the list...

I know a guy who had a run-in with the local police when he was 16. Why? Because he got into a fight with a kid who was an officer's brother. They've been harassing him ever since, twenty-plus years, for something that happened in high school. Every chance they get, they pull him over and find some reason to give him a ticket. When his truck was stolen, they basically just said, "Too bad," and left it at that. Another guy I know gets harassed by his local police essentially because the mayor and the city attorney tell them to. This guy's a pretty vocal critic of the mayor, and oddly enough, whenever he raises a stink about something, he somehow magically finds himself getting pulled over by a cop for one reason or another. I know another dude who was in prison for three years for some bogus white-collar crime and another guy who was in prison for five years for a sexual crime he didn't commit. I also know people whose family members have been shot and killed by police (maybe justifiable, maybe not--certainly the family members didn't think so), and I myself was frequently harassed by police (thankfully never arrested) in my younger days (during college and shortly thereafter) because I "fit the profile" of a potential troublemaker--I kept to myself, I was quiet, I was a social outcast, and above all, I was ugly. I was a big guy with a fairly mean-looking face and I often looked like I was brooding. In school I was drawn to the "dark" elements and frequently wrote essays, plays, stories, or poems (I was an English major) that examined the dark side of human nature. I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia when I was 15 and I was not shy about admitting that. People always assumed that I was up to no good. I tended to make people, especially women, uncomfortable simply by being alive. Even to this day people tend to be scared of me when they first meet or even see me. We've all seen visible examples in the last year of how white women weaponize their womanhood by calling the police on bad (i.e., black) guys. I could've told you about this basic phenomenon from personal experience 20 years ago.

That's not even getting into stuff like quotas, or the police being used as a collection agency, or the "good ol' boys" culture which pervades a lot of small-town police forces.

I tend to hang out with the lower-crust of society. Remember, the police exist to defend the status quo, which ultimately involves keeping the wealth in place (that's actually literally the reason why the institution of the police force was created in the first place). Although I actually come from a middle-class white neighborhood, that's not where I fit in. This kind of stuff happens all the time in the places where I hang out. Does it happen often in the lovely suburbs where all the white women who hold the real political power in this country live? Probably not as much, I'd assume.

You can stick your head in the sand and pretend stuff like this doesn't happen, but it does, and it goes a long way towards forming people's opinions of the police. When the police make mistakes, it can be world-ending for the people they victimize. Even if it doesn't end in death or false imprisonment, it can end in lifelong social stigma and ostracization.

And of course I don't think the jury's going to convict him.

Again, the question: would you give anyone other than an officer the benefit of the doubt that you're giving Aaron Dean?

its amazing that you have this power to prejudge all million police officers that work in the US. You are able to say with certainty why every one of them join the department, about their backgrounds, motives, prior thoughts, and how they will act in every single situation. How are you on firefighters, meter readers, snow plow drivers, and doctors? What were your feelings about the spinal surgeon who killed ten patients and crippled a dozen more? How about the nurse who murdered twenty people? What is your reaction when a police officer saves lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater