TX - Atatiana Jefferson, fatally shot by police through her window, bodycam, Fort Worth, 12 Oct 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by GuyfromCanada, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

The nephew of the 28-year-old black woman fatally shot in her home by a white Fort Worth police officer over the weekend said his aunt drew a gun after hearing noises outside her house, according to an arrest warrant affidavit for the officer released Tuesday.

The details in the affidavit add weight to earlier accounts of the shooting from family members and city officials who said Atatiana Jefferson was trying to protect herself and the 8-year-old boy from what she thought was an intruder when she was killed early Saturday. The officer who shot Jefferson, Aaron Dean, resigned and was charged with murder on Monday.

[...]

But investigators did interview an officer who responded to the call with him. The officer, identified as C.A. Darch, told investigators Dean was standing between her and the house at the time of the shooting and that she could “only see Jefferson’s face” through the window when Dean opened fire, according to the affidavit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...w-gun-nephew-told-authorities/?outputType=amp

IMO these are going to be the key factors in a jury trial. There were two witnesses there. The first who was with AJ said they heard noises. He never indicated he or she heard or saw the police. The second who was with AD said she saw AJ’s face but never saw her gun and she herself has yet to indicate she perceived a threat.

2. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Miracle Believer❤️

3. imstilla.grandma

4. Momof4RN

U did, I apologize. I thought maybe you had seen or heard opinions from fellow officers which apparently another poster did hear on the radio. I have just been curious how other officers would have handled this call.
    On a side note do you have an opinion as to why officer AD commanded AJ to show her hands if he could already see a gun in her hand? Do you think it would then have been reasonable to assume any other officer would have commanded her to drop her weapon?

5. imstilla.grandma

6. imstilla.grandma

7. imstilla.grandma

8. imstilla.grandma

We don't feel safe," angry crowds yelled to the city council members, including Mayor Betsy Price, just days after another shooting by Fort Worth police this year.

"Stop killing us," one man said."The wild wild West is back and out of control here in Fort Worth. Bad police officers are not going by policy to deescalate the situation. Instead they are notching their belts with killings."

"If you, officers, are afraid, get another profession," the man added.
    9 police shootings leave Fort Worth residents feeling unsafe

9. imstilla.grandma

10. imstilla.grandma

11. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Who knows. I think the proper procedure would have been to yell, Police, drop your weapon. But this guy didn't even identified himself as Police.

12. imstilla.grandma

13. Momof4RN

D
    I agree. However, even tho the police chief stated anyone who has seen that video has no doubt the officer responded inappropriately (paraphrase) this poster believes otherwise which means there are others who also disagree. I’m just trying to understand why that is because like it or not he’s still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and that other perspective will be brought up in court. Moo

14. Wishbone

Wishbone Well-Known Member

IMO In answer to your side note, I would file that under "Excited Utterance"

sds71, Cortne and Momof4RN like this.
  15. Longtime_lurker2019

Longtime_lurker2019 Well-Known Member

I am really bothered by the idea that this is a justified shooting or a tragic accident. He is a trained police officer. He and the other responding officer broke policy and protocol. It WAS avoidable. The loyalty to the thin blue line is strong indeed. I'm glad the powers that be in FW did the right thing. Maybe if enough officers are held accountable this will stop happening so frequently.
    My heart breaks for the victims in this situation. May they receive justice.

To those that dont like Lee Merritt, I submit he is a flawed human but what have you done lately to shine the light on racial injustice?

16. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

Helpful info, thanks.

I'm a bit baffled why LE would consider one open door of no great consequence, but two open doors a reason for responding LE to "immediately consider" a burglary "or worse" was unfolding/had occurred.

I know this was a quote by LVegas, not Dallas/FW LE.
    But, if FWorth LE are trained to make the same assumptions, perhaps that explains why LE interpreted the information they heard in the neighbor's call as an "open structure" situation, no matter the neighbor's intent.

Two open doors, then; Dean prowled about very close to the house, and her bedroom where she was playing a XBox game with her nephew was on the ground floor.

Anyone who has ever played an XBox game with an 8 year old kid- or been in the same room, or the next room, or even a floor above, knows how LOUD that gets. The game is loud (any game other than Minecraft :)), the kid is loud, and if the adult playing with the kid is really playing the game, SHE is loud too. :))

How could Dean not have heard what was really happening in the house?

dog.gone.cute, kimpage, sds71 and 3 others like this.
  17. Momof4RN

I believe they were playing Call of Duty. Perhaps he couldn’t tell the difference between video gun sounds and real gun sounds?
    I’m baffled that he walked by and ignored 2 cars in the driveway and it never occurred to him that homeowners could be in the home and perhaps he should check on them before hunting down a non existent bad guy. Seems to me he didn’t need a call from a concerned neighbor to first be concerned about innocent lives at risk during a possible crime. If only he had thought let me go inside and save a life. Moo

dog.gone.cute, kimpage, wary and 5 others like this.
  18. grammieto5

grammieto5 Well-Known Member

19. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

Also the fact that both screen doors were still shut and it was a perfect weather evening.

20. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

RSBM

Black isn’t a bad word. I don’t think it’s meant disrespectfully.

ETA: fix broken quote

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019