https://tinyurl.com/vgzuyp5

TX - Atatiana Jefferson, fatally shot by police through her window, bodycam, Fort Worth, 12 Oct 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by GuyfromCanada, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

So it seems that an open structure call could potentially be a burglary, not that the response for an open structure call is the same as for a burglary per policy.

TRB, Momof4RN, Rocky1 and 1 other person like this.

2. firebird

firebird Well-Known Member

Okay, so this article talks about the aunt, Bonita Body, previously arranging the funeral. So maybe they gave complete control to the father because the mother is too incapacitated to make decisions and the aunt is not her next of kin. That makes sense.

Momof4RN, Lynetta and nrdsb4 like this.
  3. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Miracle Believer❤️

4. imstilla.grandma

5. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

It has seemed from early on there is a domestic dispute between Atatiana's parents. Early on I believe her mother said that Mr. Jefferson was not her actual father. I wish these domestic issues could remain private, they cause so much public drama when it is really just those people's business.

What is important is a beautiful celebration of life for Atatiana, a service that really celebrates her as a wonderful person. I hope the family and public can put Atatiana first.

TRB, oceanblueeyes, Momof4RN and 5 others like this.
  6. imstilla.grandma

“This family, like most families, is dealing with internal disputes, ...” Merritt said in a statement Saturday.

“Good cause exists to limit the right of Bonita Body to control the funeral and burial of Atatiana Jefferson because … Marquis A. Jefferson, as the parent, has priority of the persons that are allowed under the Code to control the decedent’s funeral and burial arrangements,” Marquis Jefferson’s temporary restraining order application states. “Applicant prays that after notice and hearing on this matter, the Court to restrain Bonita Body, Golden Gate Funeral home and others acting in concert with them to control the funeral and burial of Atatiana Jefferson.”
    Judge halts Atatiana Jefferson’s funeral amid family dispute

7. grammieto5

grammieto5 Well-Known Member

So where is Atatiana Jefferson’s Mom? Was Atatiana shot at her Mom's home or her Aunt's home? As if this young lady being murdered wasn't enough, now all this fighting among family. What a mess.

8. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

IMO as I read it in an earlier report this was a violent, high crime area. Nobody would be walking anywhere!
    I think that's why the neighbor called police. He/she wasn't going anywhere near maybe danger!
    I'm kind of curious why the front door was open at 2am in this kind of neighborhood.
    I'm also curious why this young child wouldn't be sleeping in his bed?
    When does everybody sleep in this high crime area?I

9. nrdsb4

nrdsb4 Well-Known Member

Local news is reporting that Atatiana's father feels people with an agenda other than celebrating his daughter's life had taken over the arrangements, excluding him from the planning. He stated that he will of course include her mother in the decision making process-she wasn't already involved because of her illness/incapacity.

That was the latest version of the story I heard.

Kubirai, Momof4RN, Lynetta and 4 others like this.
  10. grammieto5

grammieto5 Well-Known Member

I thought I had read in the beginning that Atatiana's Mom was in the hospital and the nephew's Mom had just had surgery. WOW! God bless Atatiana's family. RIP Atatiana.

11. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

i am shaking my head in disbelief---what is wrong with people--this woman was killed by a cop and now her family is fighting and so no funeral yet-- simply disgusting

12. Rocky1

Rocky1 Well-Known Member

You're right.
    I haven't listened to the 911 call, but I am guessing the neighbor called and told dispatch that his neighbor's door was open, and he didn't know why.

If this was Mayberry, or any small town, Dispatch may have had a long conversation about how "Mr. Johnson just called and said his neighbor's door was open, and he was a little concerned because it isn't normal that she'd have it open at this time of the night, and was wondering if someone would take a ride over just to check on her."

Large cities are different. They use codes to keep it short because radio traffic is heavy.

Due to the neighbor and Dispatch both not knowing exactly what the problem was at the time of the call, My guess is that the Dispatcher said "code 56" and the address.

Had the neighbor seen someone running out of the house, and communicated that to Dispatch, my guess is it would have been dispatched as a "code 10" or a "code 34."

Police Radio Codes

TRB, oceanblueeyes, Momof4RN and 3 others like this.
  13. Reasonable & Just

Reasonable & Just United We Stand

Re: bolded by me. It was a holiday weekend, and in many homes in many neighborhoods across the country, 8-year olds may have been having sleepovers with loved ones, staying up super late to play games, and waking up late to pancakes.

I do wonder about the neighborhood, though. I had heard it was bad, but maybe it really wasn't so bad if she felt safe keeping the door open at that time (rather than the windows) with just her and the kiddo. But I'm very much a "draw the curtains and close and lock the doors at dusk" type. I feel safer that way, no matter where I am. But that doesn't necessarily make me safe, and not everyone feels that way. In the end, it doesn't matter, since the blame lies squarely on the man who didn't give her a chance before shooting.

14. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

I think the problem is, fear. A rookie cop. Night. "Open structure". He has no clue about AJ, and chances are, neither does the neighbor! Who knows about her sick mom only.

So these two rookie cops who arrived at her house, did not know what was behind that open door.

By law, you have to identify yourself as the police. But the cops probably were scared s..., and expected a blast of gunfire after the words, police...
    So instead, they decided to prowl around. Which brought in a totally expected reaction from AJ.

Now they see a silhouette of a black woman with a gun. And this is where all rules go out of the window. The scared cop does not yell, police. He yells, hands up and immediately shoots, probably in mortal fear for his life.

Whose fault? A couple of elements, I think.

The neighbor somehow is at fault. Sorry, he is. Still. He is not observant enough by the day to see that another person, AJ, has moved in. He is very observant and scared at night, though.

Should AJ have introduced herself to the neighbor? Well, we don't know what his reputation is. Technically, I probably would have done it, but I know one guy (not exactly on my street, but close) who is so weird, no one would introduce himself or even approach him without a reason. Otherwise, he'd totally misuse the connection.

AJ is within her rights, in everything she does, she is the tenant of the house, an upstanding citizen.

The cops...both probably should have introduced themselves, or at least switched on police lights. (I don't know how this thing is called - a flashing police light? On top of that their cars).

There is also the element of copying peer's behavior. Dean is the second to arrive. He sees his peer prowling around. His decision is wrong, but not that unexpected given that another cop is already doing so.

But the rest, yelling, hands up, forgetting the word police, and immediately shooting, means, horrible fear. He was in mortal fear for own life. All wrong.

(Interestingly, I would like to see the results of MMPI testings of these cops that exacerbate the situation. I watched the video of Sandra Bland's arrest, and it was, facepalm, OMG!
    How can one guy make so many psychological mistakes? (And they said he was not a racist, and had a good reputation). But if so, what else was wrong with him? )

TRB, Cardinal47 and mickey2942 like this.
  15. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

I actually think that this former officer is in a worse position than Amber Guyger.

He definitely should have announced himself as a police officer. I wonder why he didn't go to the front door? Why be sneaking around in the backyard in the dark? He is lucky he wasn't shot!

16. Charlot123

I think the problem is, fear. A rookie cop. Night. "Open structure". He has no clue about AJ, and chances are, neither does the neighbor! Who knows about her sick mom only.

So these two rookie cops who arrived at her house, did not know what was behind that open door.

By law, you have to identify yourself as the police. But the cops probably were scared s..., and expected a blast of gunfire after the words, police...
    So instead, they decided to prowl around. Which brought in a totally expected reaction from AJ.

Now they see a silhouette of a black woman with a gun. And this is where all rules go out of the window. The scared cop does not yell, police. He yells, hands up and immediately shoots, probably in mortal fear for his life.

Whose fault? A couple of elements, I think.

The neighbor somehow is at fault. Sorry, he is. Still. He is not observant enough by the day to see that another person, AJ, has moved in. He is very observant and scared at night, though.

Should AJ have introduced herself to the neighbor? Well, we don't know what his reputation is. Technically, I probably would have done it, but I know one guy (not exactly on my street, but close) who is so weird, no one would introduce himself or even approach him without a reason. Otherwise, he'd totally misuse the connection.

AJ is within her rights, in everything she does, she is the tenant of the house, an upstanding citizen.

The cops...both probably should have introduced themselves, or at least switched on police lights. (I don't know how this thing is called - a flashing police light? On top of that their cars).

There is also the element of copying peer's behavior. Dean is the second to arrive. He sees his peer prowling around. His decision is wrong, but not that unexpected given that another cop is already doing so.

But the rest, yelling, hands up, forgetting the word police, and immediately shooting, means, horrible fear. He was in mortal fear for own life. All wrong.

(Interestingly, I would like to see the results of MMPI testings of these cops that exacerbate the situation. I watched the video of Sandra Bland's arrest, and it was, facepalm, OMG!
    How can one guy make so many psychological mistakes? (And they said he was not a racist, and had a good reputation). But if so, what else was wrong with him? )

17. nrdsb4

nrdsb4 Well-Known Member

What? Now it's the neighbor's responsibility to know who is allowed in a neighbor's home at all times?

He noticed that his elderly neighbor's door was open at 2:30 am, something that he has never observed before.

He could not have been reasonably expected to know that his request for a wellness check would be incorrectly relayed by dispatch.

He is not to blame for this tragedy.

TRB, Kubirai, Hraefn and 10 others like this.
  18. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

I do not blame him for this tragedy: sadly though I think he blames himself---

Hraefn, jennapuppy, Lynetta and 5 others like this.
  19. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

No. The neighbor is absolutely not at fault. He noticed something out of the norm and reported it. Had the police done their job in *this* instance, all would be well. And AJ would rest easier at night knowing what a good neighbor she had. In normal calls, the police would much rather find nothing amiss.

Kubirai, Hraefn, Lynetta and 3 others like this.
  20. Charlot123

I did not blame him either. But then I thought, he did not know that AJ moved in. They might have not been close, or he is a guy who never checked on his neighbor when she got ill. Anyhow, maybe you guys are right. I have to listen again to what he said to the dispatcher to understand.