https://tinyurl.com/vgzuyp5

TX - Atatiana Jefferson, fatally shot by police through her window, bodycam, Fort Worth, 12 Oct 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by GuyfromCanada, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

She is one busy lady! I can hardly keep up with one case at a time spending all day and grandma seems to be multi tasking everywhere! How do u do it?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019

2. Momof4RN

I wonder if it has to do more about the mom being ill. Reports keep making it sounds like she is quite ill. Moo

Cool Cats and grammieto5 like this.
  3. Momof4RN

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    BeachSky, Cool Cats and Gardenista like this.
  4. firebird

firebird On Time Out

Yeah. The second article I quoted made that slightly more clear. Still not sure why the reporter couldn't figure it out from the court papers and just say so tho lol

Cool Cats and Momof4RN like this.
  5. grammieto5

grammieto5 Well-Known Member

I pray Atatiana's family will put all their issues aside long enough to put this child to rest. I'm shocked her funeral was stopped :(

6. grammieto5

That's what I keep thinking. I'm wondering if the siblings just decided to take care of everything because the Dad was focused on the Mom??? I wonder why the Basketball players said they would pay for the funeral since there was a go-fund account set up, it seems right from the very beginning.

Charlot123 and Cool Cats like this.
  7. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Miracle Believer❤️

8. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

I didn't get the impression Mom and Dad were still together? If they were that would make even less sense. Why did Atatiana move in to help with Mom if Dad was with her?

grammieto5 and Cool Cats like this.
  9. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

Not necessarily in response to you but in reponse in general.

It was a weekend (a Friday, IIRC). Grandma was again in hospital. The nephew's mom was at the hospital with grandma. Atatiana and her nephew were up late doing something they both loved to do together--playing video games. Might they have been waiting up for mom? I don't know. Many posters had mention the weather had been hot and muggy so the doors and windows may have been open for a breeze.

According to previously posted articles, the man who called (bless him for all his current heartache) had done so because he thought the grandmother (who had recently come home from hospital) was there on her own. I don't think he was as worried about crime only he stated he was rather worried that something was wrong with the grandmother based on her health issues.

I think it is important to make sure as we all talk about the area and the choices made by Atatiana, the neighbor, etc that we remember people operate in all different ways. The biggest issue is the cop who went around the back, gave a direction but fired his gun into a window after never having announced himself. If the neighborhood is dangerous, he was part of the problem and he killed Atatiana.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  10. MsFacetious

The cops are supposed to make a dangerous neighborhood safer... not be the ones who kill the innocent lady in her house.

kai, Kubirai, grammieto5 and 8 others like this.
  11. nrdsb4

nrdsb4 Well-Known Member

It seems the father objected to the fund raising for a funeral when he had already made it clear that he had an insurance policy to cover her expenses, so the GF was not needed. That, and being elbowed out of the planning, apparently was the impetus for the decision to file the injunction.

Father of Atatiana Jefferson considering private funeral after taking legal action

As the reporter mentions, this is a sad situation in which 'no one wins."

Carpooler, Hraefn, grammieto5 and 4 others like this.
  12. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

This whole reporting on the family infighting seems like a second crime to me. Atatiana Jefferson lived this purposeful caring life--she was well thought of by her peers, coworkers and family. If there were family tensions/issues, she rose above them. Now, unfortunately, we are all party to the divisions that happen among many families which leads to speculation, accusations and recriminations where we lose sight of the person lost to a horrible crime.

I don't think the *** or any of the outside "counselors" matter one whit except to veil the tragedy behind salacious details. RIP Atatiana, I am sure you were a person who would have worked for good.

13. grammieto5

OH Good question. I hadn't thought of that.

Cool Cats and MsFacetious like this.
  14. nrdsb4

nrdsb4 Well-Known Member

The parents are not together, from what I've gathered from the father's statements that he will be cordial to Yolanda Carr and family.

Cool Cats, MsFacetious and grammieto5 like this.
  15. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind response. I wasn't aware of all of that. I' m sure it was hard to sleep with family members in the hospital and others being with them.
    They surely did not deserve what happened to them.

Cool Cats and kaen like this.
  16. MsFacetious

New gag order.

BREAKING: There’s a new gag order in effect in the #AaronDean case, I'm told. Judge David Hagerman – 297th district court – issued the order today. It's not written yet, so not clear what all's included.

Dean's the ex-FWPD cop charged with murder for killing #AtatianaJefferson

Funeral:

UPDATE: A spokesperson for Marquis Jefferson, who is listed as Atatiana’s father in her death certificate, says her funeral not be held tomorrow, but will be Thursday at Friendship West at noon bit.ly/2VRfbOG

Hraefn, Cool Cats, kai and 5 others like this.
  17. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

The funeral service of Atatiana Jefferson will proceed Thursday October 24th 11AM at Concord Church 6808 Pastor Bailey Drive Dallas TX 75237. The service will be open to all members of the community hoping to pay their respects to Atatiana and her family.

upload_2019-10-24_10-59-59.jpeg

18. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

this is one of the Pastors from Concord church
    @mrbryanlcarter

Today we lay to rest AtatianaJefferson a young, brilliant and beautiful woman whose life was taken far too soon in her own home by a police officer. This is a totally unacceptable and a tragedy, today we remember her life and tmr we fight for justice!! Pls pray for her family!!

upload_2019-10-24_11-3-3.jpeg

19. imstilla.grandma

“Will you be able to kill somebody if you have to," one member of the five-officer review panel asked Aaron Dean.

"No problem," Dean said, without hesitation.

NBC 5 Investigates obtained Dean's personnel file, including the 2017 recording of his applying to join the Fort Worth Police Department, that provided a glimpse into the life of the officer who, in the early morning hours of Oct. 12, shot and killed Atatiana Jefferson inside her home.

In his interview before the review panel — consisting of two officers, a detective, an investigator and a corporal — he said he wanted to be a cop because he was looking for adventure and wanted to help people.

"I am interested in working for this department because I want to serve my fellow citizens in a very close and personal way …," said Dean, dressed nicely in coat and tie.

He added: "I live in the city. I like the city a lot. I like the feel of the city."

Fort Worth Officer Discusses Use of Force in Job Interview[​IMG]

NBC 5 Investigates has obtained exclusive video of the Fort Worth police officer who shot and killed a woman in her own home.
    (Published Friday, Nov. 1, 2019)
    In the interview, he admitted to one prior run-in with the law when he was in college.

"There was a young lady at the school flirting with me. I wanted to respond to see where it would go. It escalated a bit," Dean told the panel.

"I touched her inappropriately. It was an inappropriate action. And she, of course, took exception to it and rightfully so," he said.

Dean told the panel he pleaded no contest to a charge of simple assault, paid a fine, and learned from his mistake.

"What's changed since then is being careful about my actions and how they're perceived by others," he said.

Dean's training records note some concerns from supervisors in his first year on the job, including that he had "tunnel vision" and "needs improvement on communicating with the public and fellow officers."

But in his most recent job evaluation this spring, he received high marks from a supervisor who said, "You are a young officer working at a level commonly seen from more experienced officers. Keep up the good work!"

In his job interview, Dean said he was experienced with weapons, but would only use them to protect himself and others.

"I do have a license to carry …that, of course, is constantly on my mind…," he said.

"Being 32, and not being wet behind the ears anymore …I think brings maturity that you might not find in someone straight out of high school," he said.

Job Interview Video Sheds Light on Officer Who Killed Woman

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Hraefn, TRB, Cool Cats and 3 others like this.
  20. imstilla.grandma