Found Deceased TX - Athena Strand, 7, last seen at home, 200 block County Rd 3573, Paradise, 30 Nov 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
DEC 4, 2022
[...]

Monday, we are hoping to read the arrest warrant affidavit which could offer a motive for Horner's actions.

As people wait for updates, a campaign has started to encourage Texans to wear pink for Athena on Monday.

Nearby school districts, including Boyd, say they are participating.

A vigil is still planned for this Tuesday at 6 p.m. at First Baptist Cottondale. The public is invited.

Horner is set to go before a judge Monday.

I wonder if there is a part of him that doesn't want to live anymore. Not necessarily out of guilt (although there is a chance he feels a tiny bit of guilt in hindsight) but because the life he leads, and the compulsions, fantasies, obsessions, dual identities that underlie this type of crime, are probably exhausting and feel pathetic and shameful once exposed
I doubt it. I think he's annoyed he got caught, and wishes he'd done more crimes before he'd been caught. I think, if anything, he wishes he'd had more time to do more to her. I don't think people who perpetuate these sort of crimes against children have any kind of regrets about the kind of people they are. They live for and care about only themselves, and right now, the curtailing of his freedom means he can't kill more little girls. He probably likes the attention of the police; that's probably why he confessed. He'll probably like the trial, too, for the same reasons. The press, the jury, the grieving family, all focussed on him. He's the star and it's a stage. If he does try to take his own life, it won't be from guilt or shame or feeling pathetic, it'll be because of maintaining control, trying to cheat the hangman.

All very much MOO.

I shall shorten this up a bit - just wanted to get all the info on the case here. And still have not found him in the court site.

Monday, December 5th:
*Detention (or Initial) Hearing – (@ am CT) - TX - Athena Presley Monroe Strand (7) – (last seen near the 200 block of County 3573 on Nov. 30, 2022 in Paradise. Reported missing by mom @ 6:40pm on 11/30/22; found deceased along the water’s edge of the Trinity River southeast of Boyd on the evening of Dec. 2, 2022 about 9 miles from her home). *Tanner Lynn Horner (31) arrested & charged (not formally) (12/3/22) with capital murder & aggravated kidnapping. Bond $1.5M.
Police are searching for 7-year-old Athena Strand after her mother reported her missing from their Wise County home Wednesday evening. Strand's mother reported her missing around 6:40 p.m. Nov. 30. Police said she spent "about an hour" looking for her daughter before contacting the sheriff's office. Police said Strand was last seen near the 200 block of County Road 3573 in Paradise, Texas. She was wearing a plaid jacket, jeans & boots. As of 6am Thursday, 12/1/22 the Wise County sheriff said she hasn't been found. Multiple police departments, local Texas Rangers, fire departments & other are a part of the search.
12/1/22 Update: The little girl hasn't been found as of about 1 p.m. Thursday. The sheriff tells WFAA that she possibly left after an argument with her parents. The Wise County Sheriff's Office said this is not the first time the minor has left the house like this and they believe she had an argument with her parents. The parents left the house after the discussion, when the mother returned, she checked the minor's room and did not find her, while the father was outside. Authorities have said that the family, especially the parents, have cooperated with the investigation.
SEARCH CONTINUES FOR MISSING CHILD: Multiple law enforcement agencies and other first responders searched overnight. Left after an argument between step-mother & daughter. The daughter Athena ran away. Sheriff says that she is known to run away or leaving the house. They see this as good news & they hope she will return. An Amber Alert was issued today. Authorities have told media outlets including WFAA-TV that the child might have run away after an argument with her parents. But they haven’t ruled out that someone could have abducted her.
12/2/22 Update: "At first they searched a six acre radius around Strand's house. But is has since expanded, to include the FBI, Texas Department of Public Safety and Fort Worth police officers on foot and horseback. Several K-9 units, drones with heat seeking technology and ATVS were also used. "
12/2/22 Update: It seems law enforcement is handling a lot of the efforts here. We are being told about 50 acres was searched yesterday around her father and stepmother's home in Paradise, TX which is where she was last seen. I have been told Athena's mother has full custody of her but because of health issues had sent Athena to stay with her father and stepmother. Athena was supposed to return home to her mother's house this month. Police say Athena was last seen by her stepmother November 30th. The stepmother says after an argument she couldn't find Athena. Athena has reportedly run off before... however some of Athena's family members - including her Aunt - say Athena would never have taken off on her own.
12/2/22 Update: 8pm press conference: A Fed-Ex driver abducted Athena. Tanner Lynn Horner, 31, from Lake Worth. Bond 1.5 million. He confessed & gave the location of Athena's body. The body of Athena has tragically been found just 9 miles away from her home after she was snatched by a contract FedEx driver. She was abducted by Tanner Horner & killed within an hour of being taken, police have announced. According to authorities, Horner was dropping a package off at Athena's home when he pounced on the youngster. Cops believe she was taken from her driveway near the family's gate, around 200 yards away from the property. The FBI then teamed up with FedEx to help track down Horner, from Lake Worth, Texas, after compiling a string of digital evidence. He reportedly confessed to kidnapping & killing Athena shortly after being apprehended by police. But the FedEx employee gave officials at least two false locations including an area of CR 4599 that was taped off by police on Friday afternoon - before eventually leading them to her body, Sheriff Akin said. Athena's body was then horrifically discovered six miles away from her home, two days after she disappeared. Some details about the location of her remains & the probe were withheld by authorities, as the investigation is still underway. Cops are said to have cracked the heartbreaking case after receiving a tip from a member of the public. The caller described a driver in the area who made a delivery around the same time that Athena went missing. The information was key in identifying Horner as a suspect & tracking him down. A motive has not yet been established for the killing, although cops confirmed he was not related & did not know the family. Horner is being held in county jail on a bond of $1.5million after confessing to the crime. Texas Rangers had already begun a search of the suspect's home.

12/4/22 Update: Detention or initial hearing set on 12/5/22 per Chitbrick (heard on news).

County Judge J.D. Clark | Facebook

DEC 4, 2022
Following Judge Clark's announcement a number of school districts have joined in, calling on their students to show up wearing pink on Monday.

Northwest ISD, Castleberry ISD, Buena Vista ISD and Weatherford ISD are among the school districts asking students to wear pink.
Here in SW Oklahoma where Athena lived the schools are also doing pink tomorrow for Athena.

I wonder if there is a part of him that doesn't want to live anymore. Not necessarily out of guilt (although there is a chance he feels a tiny bit of guilt in hindsight) but because the life he leads, and the compulsions, fantasies, obsessions, dual identities that underlie this type of crime, are probably exhausting and feel pathetic and shameful once exposed
If he FEELS anything......

When was he convicted of burglary? I don’t recall reading this. TIA
My bad: he is allegedly a rapist. Idk why I said burglary, I think I read it somewhere but cannot find it now. I will post here if I can find. Here's more info on rape allegations.

Also an interesting article -

Wearing pink for Athena today ❤️ My heart truly breaks for her and her family, none of them deserved this. I hope that creep rots in solitary confinement for the rest of his life.
I’m in TX and wearing pink today as well. IMOO I think he’ll plead guilty and take life in prison, I think if it goes to Jury the DP will be on the table and I think he’s too much of a coward to face death. Her name and image is all over, finding people unaware of the case may be difficult.

Those who live in Tanner Lynn Horner’s west Fort Worth neighborhood, near Lake Worth, describe it as a quiet place where neighbors usually keep to themselves. Elderly people walking their dogs and moms with children are a regular sight on the street. At least a couple of the houses are Airbnb rentals.

FedEx contract driver has allegedly confessed to the abduction and murder of missing 7-year-old Athena Strand, authorities in Texas say.
Investigators had determined that Tanner Horner, 31, had made a drop-off near the family home around the time Athena went missing.

Mr Akin said the driver had allegedly confessed to taking Athena and shown them where her body could be found, in a ditch around six miles out of Paradise.
He did not appear to have any connection to the girl’s family, the sheriff said, and did not appear to have a criminal record. The sheriff did not reveal a motive.

Wearing pink today for Athena here in North Texas, and thinking of the spirit of this little one who wanted to be a Viking princess (her dad is a Viking re-enactor).

I have met the Strand’s, and my heart aches for their horrific loss, and for their further victimization by the mob mentality that is social media.

Do a kindness for another soul. Each day. Uplift others. Keep your heart open.

Not in Texas, but wearing pink in Latvia!

Anyone know what time his hearing is supposed to be? Isn't it like about 12:20pm in Texas?
CNN TV reported about 10 minutes ago that it was anticipating a court appearance by suspect sometime today, but so far nothing is scheduled. CNN National Correspondent, Ed Lavandera said the news channel will continue to follow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member