TX - Athena Strand, 8, Abducted & Murdered By FedEx Contract Driver, Tanner Horner, Paradise, 2022 #2

So the State of Texas and the Wise County DA is seeking the Death Penalty against Tanner Horner. If they release the autopsy results of Athena's Death then we can see what details Mr. Horner left out. That Aggravated Kidnapping charge has got to be the "smoking gun"

IMO whether TH accidentally hit Athena, purposely hit her or didn't hit her at all is irrelevant as far as the Capital murder charge goes since it's clear (by his own admission) that he intended to murder her and he did in fact murder her. He had plenty of time between trying to break her neck then strangling her to stop and do the right thing - call 911. And if his intention from the getgo was to abduct Athena, well, he did.

IMO it doesn't matter if he "panicked" or whatever story he wants to spin; according to Texas law he committed premeditated murder of a child - during a kidnapping no less - which automatically becomes a capital murder charge. No defense attorney can defend not one but two separate attempts to end Athena's life. And heaven forbid if he SA'd poor Athena.

JMO I believe this is a clear cut case. Oh, we may see the defense requesting a mental evaluation and maybe even try for some mitigating excuse, that's par for the course. I believe he's gonna get the DP. MOO.

Edited due to my responding to the wrong post which may cause confusion. I removed the link to that post. Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
IMO whether TH accidentally hit Athena, purposely hit her or didn't hit her at all is irrelevant as far as the Capital murder charge goes since it's clear (by his own admission) that he intended to murder her and he did in fact murder her. He had plenty of time between trying to break her neck then strangling her to stop and do the right thing - call 911. And if his intention from the getgo was to abduct Athena, well, he did.

IMO it doesn't matter if he "panicked" or whatever story he wants to spin; according to Texas law he committed premeditated murder of a child - during a kidnapping no less - which automatically becomes a capital murder charge. No defense attorney can defend not one but two separate attempts to end Athena's life. And heaven forbid if he SA'd poor Athena.

JMO I believe this is a clear cut case. Oh, we may see the defense requesting a mental evaluation and maybe even try for some mitigating excuse, that's par for the course. I believe he's gonna get the DP. MOO.

Edited due to my responding to the wrong post which may cause confusion. I removed the link to that post. Sorry about that. :rolleyes:
He's toast..imo

I don't buy this story. Nope nope nope. What kind of story is this? I hit her but she wasn't hurt but I was scared her dad would be mad so I panicked and killed her. GMAFB
That's the craziest thing to say, you're scared her dad will be mad so you kill her? Sure buddy. Especially since we've heard Tanner didn't know the family, how would he even know she lived with her dad?

That's the craziest thing to say, you're scared her dad will be mad so you kill her? Sure buddy. Especially since we've heard Tanner didn't know the family, how would he even know she lived with her dad?
I'm scared the dad will be mad that I hit her so instead I should end her life. Dad will be less upset about that. :rolleyes:

Arrest Warrant
After reading this (I really didn't want to), I have a very strong impression Athena told him, "I'm going to tell my dad what you did".

The way it's worded: "defendant stated he strangled Athena because she was going to tell her father about her being hit by the FedEx truck the Defendant was operating".

Good girl, Athena! You stood up for the right thing to do, and I'm so sorry that coward hurt you and took you away.

After reading this (I really didn't want to), I have a very strong impression Athena told him, "I'm going to tell my dad what you did".

The way it's worded: "defendant stated he strangled Athena because she was going to tell her father about her being hit by the FedEx truck the Defendant was operating".

Good girl, Athena! You stood up for the right thing to do, and I'm so sorry that coward hurt you and took you away.
I won't believe Tanner's statement about him hitting Athena with his truck until I read the autopsy report. "I had to kill her because she was going to tell her father" is not credible. Killers tell amazing lies in order not to take responsibility.
I believe he kidnapped, assaulted, killed, then dumped her body in a ditch.

I assumed the adults, at least one of them would be out there, too. They weren't?
Not according to the affidavit.

But who knows what the situation was for ?
If it was mainly for renovations, that's understandable, but it seems like maybe the kids would've been safer at night on the floor or a camping cot in the parent's room ?
Imo.

Last edited:
Short Version of the post below. If you would like to donate to our volunteer moderator staff please do so using one of the places below. Please put "FOR THE MODS" in the description. Thank you.
PayPal
Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
Bank to Bank using zelle please use the email address triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
Please be sure to put in the memo "FOR THE MODS"

Hi Everyone,
Forgive me for interrupting but this is important. Please do not post questions about this post on this thread. Go to THIS THREAD to ask questions.

DID YOU KNOW BY THE END OF THE DAY OUR MODS WILL HAVE HANDLED HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF ALERTS? YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THIS BECAUSE THAT IS HOW GOOD THE MODS ARE AT THEIR JOBS.

One of the many things I love about Websleuths is we can come on here, discuss true crime, and not have to deal with all the stupid drama and baloney we have to deal with on other platforms. Do you know why? It is the hard work of our wonderful volunteer moderators.

Because of these incredible moderators, you don't see the following, the trolls that constantly try and disrupt. You don't see the newbies who don't know the rules and post a bunch of unproven rumors in cases, You don't see the mean people insulting your posts, you don't see the stupid threats angry people post, and guess what? I could go on and on. In other words, the mods make your experience the best you can find when it comes to discussing true crime.

If you could donate even one dollar that would be great. If half the people that come to Websleuths today donated one dollar we would be able to give the mods a wonderful bonus for all their hard work.

One hundred percent of the money raised goes to the moderators.

If you cannot donate we completely understand. If you could please post a word of thanks to our mods on THIS THREAD that would be wonderful.

If you would like to donate to the moderators at Websleuths.com please do so using one of the places below and be sure and put in the description "FOR THE MODS"
Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
OR you can use
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
Bank to Bank using zelle please use the email address triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
Please be sure to put in the memo "FOR THE MODS"

Websleuths.com will always be free for members. It costs nothing to join and it never will.
If you like to read at Websleuths because of the incredible work of our members please know the reason our members are able to do what they do is because of our dedicated volunteer moderator staff.

This video explains what the moderators do every day to keep Websleuths the most respected true crime discussion forum on the Internet.
Thank you,

Tricia Griffith Owner/Websleuths.com

I won't believe Tanner's statement about him hitting Athena with his truck until I read the autopsy report. "I had to kill her because she was going to tell her father" is not credible. Killers tell amazing lies in order not to take responsibility.
I believe he kidnapped, assaulted, killed, then dumped her body in a ditch.
Agreed.
Even IF he bumped into her accidentally with the truck, he still took her life !
He. Killed. Her.
He's not going to 'walk', at least I hope not.
M00.

I don't believe him.

Kids get "bumped" by cars all the time, and quite often it's not the drivers fault. Any parent would respect an individual who fessed up to the accident and made sure the child was cared for (ie called an ambulance if needed or parents called/taken home).

RIP to this poor child.

In what world does a perpetrator think the consequences of bumping a child with a vehicle are far greater than murder??? Right now, I don’t believe this statement. Will wait and see what the autopsy says and evidence from the truck. Does anyone know if a camera picked up this alleged bump? JMO

I’ll put forward as an opinion what’s being danced around:
I believe there was no hitting with a car.
I believe he took her to assault her.
I believe that this will be a case, rather like Cherish Perrywinkle, where the motive is cemented by the autopsy and where the medical examiner is brought to tears on the stand.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
In what world does a perpetrator think the consequences of bumping a child with a vehicle are far greater than murder??? Right now, I don’t believe this statement. Will wait and see what the autopsy says and evidence from the truck. Does anyone know if a camera picked up this alleged bump? JMO
AFAIK, there are no other camera recordings of the incident, other than the one inside the Fed Ex truck.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back