TX - Athena Strand, 8, Abducted & Murdered By FedEx Contract Driver, Tanner Horner, Paradise, 2022 #2

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1669901200745.png

WISE COUNTY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — Police are searching for 7-year-old Athena Strand after her mother reported her missing from their Wise County home Wednesday evening.

Strand's mother reported her missing around 6:40 p.m. Nov. 30. Police said she spent "about an hour" looking for her daughter before contacting the sheriff's office.

Police said Strand was last seen near the 200 block of County Road 3573 in Paradise, Texas. She was wearing a plaid jacket, jeans and boots.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to call the Wise County Sheriff's Office at 940-627-5971.

PARADISE, Texas — Multiple officials are helping a family look for a little girl that hasn't been seen since Wednesday evening in Wise County.

The county sheriff says they got a call from a mother shortly before 7 p.m. on Nov. 30. She said she had been looking for her daughter, 7-year-old Athena Strand, for about an hour.

As of 6 a.m. Thursday, the Wise County sheriff said she hasn't been found.
Athena was last seen around the 200 block of Country Croad 3573 in Paradise, Texas.

Multiple police departments, local Texas Rangers, fire departments and other are a part of the search

Anyone with information should call the Wise County Sheriff's Office (WCSO) at 940-627-5971.

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

Complaining about previous posts that you think were suspicious of family members is NOT ALLOWED in the same way that posting an insinuation/suspicion/guilt of a family member IS NOT ALLOWED. NEITHER are considered family-friendly or in accordance with the WS TOS you agreed to when you joined.

Going forward, ALL OF THOSE WILL BE REMOVED if we learn of them, as will a continued bickering debate about it.

There is one direction to point fingers right now…….and the suspect is the only one that can be discussed in a negative manner here at this time.

I’m on the fence with the FedEx suit if that’s where it’s going. On one hand he committed a major crime while using their vehicle, if it wasn’t for FedEx that guy wouldn’t have been there so I see a liability there. If I commit a crime while using my company vehicle, my company would likely be be sued. That is why I’m extra careful when driving it. On the other hand, if he passed the background check, FedEx wouldn’t have had any red flags to not employ him. As long as they did their due diligence (background check) it would be hard for me to find negligence on their behalf. I imagine they will settle to keep their name out of the news.

IMOO

I’m on the fence with the FedEx suit if that’s where it’s going. On one hand he committed a major crime while using their vehicle, if it wasn’t for FedEx that guy wouldn’t have been there so I see a liability there. If I commit a crime while using my company vehicle, my company would likely be be sued. That is why I’m extra careful when driving it. On the other hand, if he passed the background check, FedEx wouldn’t have had any red flags to not employ him. As long as they did their due diligence (background check) it would be hard for me to find negligence on their behalf. I imagine they will settle to keep their name out of the news.

IMOO
How can there be a liability on the part of the company for what a driver might do, that the company had zero reasonable expectation of?

He didn't have any kind of criminal record so, I fail to see how FedEx is liable in any way. Even if they never did run a background check, he still didn't have a record to be found. But maybe there's a legal snag I'm unaware of?

Hardly surprising. ^^^

TLH is the poster boy for making an example of people who commit such acts.
I don't think FedEx is at fault, as it sounds like he hadn't much of a criminal past that would've alerted them ?

Plus, wasn't he sub contracted as in not directly employed ?
Wondering now if FE will settle regardless.
It won't bring Athena back; but may prompt even more stringent background checks of their drivers ?

Still smh at this crime ....never ever would I have suspected a delivery driver.
We've had employees subcontracted by BestBuy install our wall mounted TV and also clothes washers/dryers in our home..... and never thought a thing of it.
I do think for the most part these are hard working persons who want to keep their job, and can be trusted.

A person driving in the neighborhood, a predator with an offender history, or even a person known to the victim ---- all of these would be my guess as to the identity of the perp, before suspecting a person employed by FedEx, post office, UPS, etc.

Thankful she was found in time to preserve evidence and for her families' sake.
Some victims are never recovered.
:(

She was (I presume from reading about this case) right there in her yard/driveway, and the parents did nothing wrong.
Children should have the expectation of playing safely on their own property.

From the above link :

Mark Strand wrote that despite part of him wanting 'five 5 minutes alone in a cell' with 31-year-old Tanner Horner, who abducted and killed his seven-year-old granddaughter Athena, he decided to listen to another part that told him forgiveness was the only way for him and his family to recover
Bless him !!!!!!
I don't think I could say this .
He may be in shock, but it sounds like he spoke from his heart.
He is stronger than I'll ever be.
Imo.

"On Nov. 30, a FedEx delivery man drove onto Athena’s father’s property to deliver a package of what was supposed to be a Christmas present for our daughter. This is the package, and it’s the first time I’m seeing it," an emotional Maitlyn Gandy said at a press conference outside the Wise County Courthouse.

Displayed was a package of six Barbie dolls. Emblazoned on the outside was the dollmaker’s slogan "You can be anything." An exterior box had the logo for Walmart.

Since Athena was outside only in shirt sleeves and boots, I wonder if she didn't run out there to gather packages from FedEx, a good little helper.

Her own Christmas gift.

Gut punch.

Broken world.

JMO

PER FOX 4 NEWS::
WISE COUNTY, Texas
- The disturbing details of 7-year-old Athena Strand's death came to light Thursday in a newly filed arrest affidavit for contracted FedEx delivery driver Tanner Horner.

In a confession to investigators, Horner reportedly said he had finished delivering a package at Strand's home in Paradise. He said he was backing up his FedEx truck, when he accidentally hit Athena with the truck.

Horner told investigators that Athena was alive, but was not seriously hurt at the time. He said she was talking to him, even telling him her name.

The delivery driver said he panicked and put her into the van, according to court documents.

Horner then attempted to break the 7-year-old's neck to kill her. When that didn't work, he strangled the girl in the back of the FedEx van.

The delivery driver said he strangled the girl because he was afraid she was going to tell her father that he hit her with the van.

Authorities say Horner then directed investigators to CR 4668 in Boyd, where he dumped her body.

The official cause of death for Athena has not been released at this time.

DEC 8

The mother of a 7-year-old girl who authorities say was abducted and killed by a FedEx delivery driver stood beside a package he'd dropped off the day she disappeared — a box of “You Can Be Anything” Barbies — and said that she wanted everyone to know about the “amazing little girl” who would have received that Christmas present.

“I was robbed of watching her grow up,” Maitlyn Gandy told those gathered at a Thursday news conference in Decatur, Texas.

Athena Strand was found dead on Dec. 2, two days after she was reported missing from the home of her father and stepmother in Paradise, a town of fewer than 500 people about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northwest of Dallas.

More at FedEx driver accused in girl's slaying dropped off her gift

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back