GUILTY TX - Bimal Patel, 29, burned alive, Austin, 17 April 2012

No! I just read these tweets.

Statesman Courts ‏@AustinCourts 2m
Shriya Patel has already served two years in jail, and she will have to serve a quarter of her sentence before she is eligible for parole.

Statesman Courts ‏@AustinCourts 3m
Defense lawyer Joe James Sawyer tells reporters Shriya Patel can get out of prison in three years.

I am not happy now!

Parole then? What about deportation? :please:

Yeah, the prosecution was trying to make that point in closing, that after 1/4 of any term they gave she'd be eligible for parole. Doesn't mean she'll get it, and she'll be leaving the country since no fine is pending - I have a feeling that's why the prosecution pointed out they didn't want one, might have tied up her deportation.

Shannon Murray ‏@ShannonM_KVUE 3m
Patel will serve at least 1/4 of the sentence (5 years) before she's eligible for parole. She's already served 2 yrs. #PatelTrial

I like the way Shannon words it better, even though it means the same thing. lol

Statesman Courts ‏@AustinCourts 2m
Victim services counselor read an allocution statement from Chelsea Schwierking, a close friend of Bimal Patel.

Well this blows! :maddening: She deserved a harsher punishment.

I can not figure out why the jurors had such sympathy for it.

I can not figure out why the jurors had such sympathy for it.

I don't know. :dunno: I feel like this prosecution was weak. They didn't even give an opening for the penalty phase. I think they could have done a lot more to emphasize that this was not a suicide. :twocents:

o/t-

Juan Martinez is at the Devault trial observing Dr. Karps testimony.

Quite a different feeling to this trial than Daniel's, huh? Could have been worse though, they might have had so much sympathy for her (instead of the fellow that burned and then suffered with those burns for over 4 months until he passed away) and just given her probation and a full life back in India. I really hope we hear what the jurors were thinking during their deliberations because the end doesn't seem to justify her means at all, and I do want to understand what we missed and they 'got'.

I think this trial was too rushed! The PT didn't really care what happened to the victim. jmo

I wonder what will be next for TX?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back