TX - Briana, 5, & Kamryn Diaz, 3, drowned, Plano, 25 Sept 2003 *Insanity*

Does this not make you just totally SICK???!!?!? THIS is exactly the reason why I thought ANdrea Yates should have gotten the death penalty!!!!

PUKE!!!

NaNaRosebud said:
Does this not make you just totally SICK???!!?!? THIS is exactly the reason why I thought ANdrea Yates should have gotten the death penalty!!!!

PUKE!!!
Mentally ill or not people have to be held responsible for their actions , anybody by the way can act mentally ill. Doesnt mean they always are, but if they are sick enough to kill leave them locked up!!This woman by all accounts can go and have more children and break into psychosis again and kill them too. I dont think they deserve the death penalty but dont let them out after 2 years that seems so wrong!And thats the part I cant understand.:waitasec:

In regards to the women who cut off her babies arms, it is my understanding that she was diagnosed with a brain tumor after her trial. Brain tumors can often cause people to hallucinate, exhibit personality changes, and lose it in general. She tried to seek medical help several times, but each time her husband dragged her back home and told her to pray more. If she had been allowed to see a doctor her condition might have been diagnosed and the tragedy that occured might have been prevented. I was just thinking about this case the other day and it is imo one of the only "mother kills child and pleads insanity" cases where I believed that the mother was truly not culpable. Yates on the other hand... I would not be surprised if she suddenly gets "better" a few years from now and begins to seek release.

j2mirish said:
so- if I may ask you- with your background---Do you think someone who drown her children and only spent this amount of time in a Mental institute--- is there any way --- that was enouhg time to put her back on the streets?
Don't know how to add a quote in the blue box yet, so pardon the above.

I don't agree with how the system works, if my theory on why they sprung her so quickly is true. I don't believe anyone who commits murder (no matter the circumstances) should "walk free". I believe anyone who crosses this line deserves some level of ongoing punishment. However, I'm also saying that people who are this mentally ill are suffering some type of punishment, even if it's not the kind that some non-mentally ill people feel is appropriate.

In my defense (based on posts that came after mine) I was adding a personal take on the case. I was also trying to inform people who have probably never dealt with a severely mentally ill person about some of the stuff they may not consider. The point I was trying (and obviously failing) to make is that this kind of case is not black and white. It's not "she's evil", "she's selfish", "she's getting away with murder". It's more than that and if you've never dealt with mental illness in general, you may not see those extra layers.

Mental illness is ugly and painful and never goes away. Don't assume a person who acts out due to mental illness is faking it or using it as an excuse.

BTW, this will be the absolute last time I ever post about this topic. It's very personal for me and I thought I might add a different view. If it's just going to be interpreted as condoning this woman's behavior or Andrea Yates', then I'm wasting my time.

FFWifey said:

I don't agree with how the system works, if my theory on why they sprung her so quickly is true. I don't believe anyone who commits murder (no matter the circumstances) should "walk free". I believe anyone who crosses this line deserves some level of ongoing punishment. However, I'm also saying that people who are this mentally ill are suffering some type of punishment, even if it's not the kind that some non-mentally ill people feel is appropriate.

In my defense (based on posts that came after mine) I was adding a personal take on the case. I was also trying to inform people who have probably never dealt with a severely mentally ill person about some of the stuff they may not consider. The point I was trying (and obviously failing) to make is that this kind of case is not black and white. It's not "she's evil", "she's selfish", "she's getting away with murder". It's more than that and if you've never dealt with mental illness in general, you may not see those extra layers.

Mental illness is ugly and painful and never goes away. Don't assume a person who acts out due to mental illness is faking it or using it as an excuse.

BTW, this will be the absolute last time I ever post about this topic. It's very personal for me and I thought I might add a different view. If it's just going to be interpreted as condoning this woman's behavior or Andrea Yates', then I'm wasting my time.
??? I've read the posts and I can't figure out why you think that anyone interpreted your post as condoning her behavior. Nobody said that or even inferred that. In fact, there was only one post that quoted your post, and in it that person asked if you thought 2 years was enough time, and asked you this in a respectful manner since you have experience with this issue. That was all, just that one question that is very legitimate. I appreciate your different view on this subject, and respect the fact that it is very personal to you. In fact, your view isn't really all that different from many others that were posted here. I think if you read through the posts again, you will find that nobody suggested or even hinted that your post was condoning this behavior.

With this subject, it's only natural that there is a myriad of differing viewpoints and I think they all have their degree of validity.

Personally, there is a HUGE difference between someone living with mental illness, and someone who is mentally ill and does vicious, inhumane, barbaric acts of murder on innocent babies. I understand that mental illness can be the CAUSE of such horrific acts, but regardless of that, once that line is crossed WHATEVER THE CAUSE, then it's a whole different ballgame. I fully understand and accept that my viewpoint can be considered very close-minded. It is. My opinion on babykillers is a very tainted one, mental illness or not, and it is extremely narrow minded. Maybe that's wrong, but it's a stance and opinion I have that I am sure will never waver.

Now, if we're talking about mentally ill people who DON'T become vicious murderers, then I am all for supporting them and giving assistance when needed and showing tolerance, acceptance and goodwill towards them. But, for me, the line gets crossed the second a little child's heart stops beating at the criminal hands of an adult. Wrong? Maybe. Maybe not.

FFWifey said:

The post that said "people were defending her" was not toward you, FFWifey. It was refering to the Andrea Yates thread that we had going while Andrea was being tried and then re-tried. Some people felt Andrea was faking her Psychosis.

I totally understand your post and appreciate your sharing something with us that is obviously very personal.

Please realize that the comment was not toward you- don't let it stop you from helping others to learn about mental illness!

I don't think this woman only wanted attention from her husband by faking illnesses. She seemed to have had some symptoms and was going to dr.s, researching what could be wrong, taking herbals, and even thought her children had the same thing. To me, that was realizing something was wrong and trying to fix it somehow, but killing the kids and trying to blame demons is another story. It's proven that she thought they were ill or had parasites, but then blaming a demon doesn't fit with all the dr. visits. This woman doesn't need to be free and out living amongst other people after murdering children. Nancy Grace made Big Spring state hospital look better than it actually looks from the outside. I've been thru and to that town many times and it's not as pretty on the outside as the pic they showed. I would also wonder about someone that violent being around other patients who are mentally ill but not violent. Looks like they'd go to prison with special wings for the murderous insane only so that others would be protected.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back