GUILTY TX - Cayley Mandadi, 19, suspicious death, Luling, 29 Oct 2017

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/mystery-surrounding-death-of-trinity-sophomore-1/492559323

This is from Nov. 16, several days ago. It was the latest I could find. No new information unfortunately. It is annoying that this MSM link misspelled the victim’s last name not once, but twice, publishing it as Candadi instead of Mandadi. Her first name begins with a C so I can see how the mistake happened. Still. It is not very respectful of this victim and her family. Of course, it is possible that the circumstances are such that loved ones are not concerned about the spelling at this point. Could this be any more tragic? Every parent’s nightmare it is. Bless them.

"A 22-year-old man was jailed Wednesday in connection with the death of Cayley Mandadi, a 19-year-old Trinity University cheerleader who died Halloween 2017 after falling unconscious in a car traveling to Houston.

Mark Howerton faces charges of murder and sexual assault."

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/...t-in-death-of-Trinity-University-12717342.php

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/...l-Cayley-Mandadi-s-boyfriend-had-12717566.php

https://www.ksat.com/news/suspect-turns-himself-in-for-murder-of-trinity-university-cheerleader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy. This is horrific! This was partner violence-turned-domestic-murder. What is it that makes these men and boys think they are entitled to own a woman? He beat her to death. The article also has a little about how he's been beating her and threatening her life! And they'd only been dating for four weeks. This young woman never had a chance once she met this monster.
. . .

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...t-in-death-of-Trinity-University-12717342.php

"When first responders saw her, she was unresponsive, nude from the waist down, covered in bruises on her neck and thigh and showed signs of sexual trauma, according to the affidavit. Photos taken by Luling police indicate Howerton's knuckles were red "in a manner consistent with someone punching someone else" and he had scratches on his forearms, authorities said.

Mandadi was pronounced brain dead on Oct. 30.

A medical exam showed her injuries were not consistent with Howerton's description of what happened, according to the affidavit.

Mandadi was covered "from head to toe" with red marks, bruises and scratches, according to the affidavit. Both of her eyelids were swollen and bruised.

"The only areas of [Mandadi] with no evidence of injury were her back and the back of her legs," the affidavit says.

Such injuries . . . line up with "physical and violent sexual assault."

On Oct. 31, Mandadi was taken off life support and died. The medical examiner's officer later determined her cause of death to be blunt force trauma to the head."

"During the investigation, Texas Rangers spoke with multiple sorority sisters of Mandadi, as well as her ex-boyfriend and her roommate. All of them said Mandadi had told them Howerton had previously physically abused her and threatened her.

In late September, Howerton trashed Mandadi's dorm room, friends told authorities. On that occasion, Howerton allegedly put Mandadi in his car and began driving to Houston. [my note: kidnapping!]
"The witnesses also accused Howerton on various occasions of slamming Mandadi's head into a car window, waving a gun in her face and threatening to throw her off a balcony."

"There was also an incident a month before Cayley's death that got Howerton banned from the Trinity University campus."

"Multiple witnesses told police Howerton allegedly destroyed Cayley's dorm room and threatened to throw her off the balcony."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...cheerleader-death-rough-sex-article-1.3849057

He beat her and raped her, he probably also kidnapped her because NONE of her belongings were in the car!
"He was going to buy her all new stuff."

He deserves death row!
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is a horrific case. Why does nearly every headline include the word "cheerleader," as if that small part of her life defined it, and her, and was somehow a relevant factor in her rape and murder by this perp?

Genuinely bemused, and wondering if there's some cultural nuance here that I as a Brit/Canadian am missing.

Mother of cheerleader, 19, who was 'raped and murdered by her boyfriend' speaks out | Daily Mail Online

"The mother of a 19-year-old Texas college cheerleader who was allegedly murdered by her boyfriend in 2017 said when she first saw her daughter at the hospital, her battered body looked as if she had fallen out of a plane.

Cayley Mandadi, a sophomore at Trinity University, died of head trauma on Halloween 2017 after falling unconscious in a car traveling between San Antonio and Houston.

Her boyfriend, Mark Phillip Howerton, 22, was charged with murder, aggravated sexual assault and criminal mischief, but his trial ended in a hung jury last December."

"Mandadi's story is now the subject of the latest installment of CBS' 48 Hours, which is scheduled to air at 10pm Eastern Time on Saturday.

The program features interviews with Mandadi's parents and friends, as well as with Howerton's defense attorney who continues to maintain that his client is innocent."

Still watching the 48 Hours episode....
Watch 48 Hours Season 33 Episode 3: The Final Hours of Cayley Mandadi - Full show on CBS All Access

Wanted to note that in this article that was posted and quoted upthread, it said this:
Questions surround death of Trinity University cheerleader
Mandadi was a passenger in a vehicle returning from Houston when someone in the vehicle noticed she was not breathing. They dropped her off at a hospital in Luling and left.

That is obviously not true because the 48 Hours episode includes body cam video of police officers interviewing the accused at the hospital. The article is still online with this erroneous information included. I know we tend to take what is published in MSM as fact, and this source is considered MSM, but this is a case of faulty info being published and then not retracted. Disconcerting for sure, and also contributes to reasonable doubt which presumably accounted for the mistrial.

Going back to finish watching this episode which aired last night.

Last edited:
More on the 48 Hours episode about the death of Cayley Mandadi, a student at San Antonio’s Trinity University, in 2017. Her boyfriend at the time, Mark Howerton, was charged with her murder.
Watch 48 Hours Season 33 Episode 3: The Final Hours of Cayley Mandadi - Full show on CBS All Access

SPOILER alert:

- Howerton went on trial in December 2019, which ended in a mistrial because jurors were deadlocked.
- The 48 Hours episode contains extensive interviews with Cayley’s parents and Howerton’s defense attorney.
- Howerton had a history of explosive behavior, and was suspected of trashing Cayley’s dorm room when he was angry at her. Her friends also testified that she was threatened and physically assaulted by him during the few months they had been dating.
- Howerton’s physical appearance was dramatically different at trial as compared to when Cayley died in fall 2017. He had an intimidating body-builder physique, and was suspected of using steroids, known to cause rage. At trial 2 years later, an LE officer who had been part of the investigation did not recognize him because he was a shadow of his former self.
- There were questions about the testimony of Cayley’s ex-boyfriend, who’s story about witnessing Cayley being forcefully led by the defendant changed between the police interview, the grand jury testimony, and his testimony at trial. He admitted the change, and Cayley’s parents said he exaggerated to get LE to act to charge Howerton.
- A defense expert witness claimed that the bruising on Cayley noted in the autopsy could have resulted from efforts to sustain her life after the defendant brought her to the ER. Another defense expert witness testified that with the amount of the recreational drug MDMA aka Molly in Cayley’s system, a minor fall could have caused what appeared to the defense as a skull fracture. The ME was called back to dispute that it was a skull fracture. Instead, the ME said Cayley died of blunt force trauma.
- A last minute witness for the defense was not allowed to testify because jurors had already begun deliberating. This surprise witness claimed to have been present in the ER when Cayley was admitted and did not see any bruising on Cayley’s legs at the time which could add credence to the theory that it happened as a result of life-saving efforts.
- Howerton’s retrial is scheduled for January 2021.

In September 2019, less than two years after Mandadi's death, the Texas Legislature approved the Coordinated Law Enforcement Adult Response, or CLEAR Alert.

Determined mother uses grief for good with new law for missing adults in Texas

Thanks for posting this JG.
Somehow I had missed this new law when it got passed and established.
I realize now I have gotten at least one CLEAR alert on my phone, but I totally misunderstood it. I read it as they were CLEARING a previous alert , and that the person had been found. Maybe it is just my feeble brain, but CLEAR to me evokes an “all is well” message. I know now it is an acronym, and I support what it is intended to do. I just would not have suggested CLEAR as the name to use. I wonder if it confuses anyone else, or just me.

Okay, so after watching the 48 Hours episode and reading the few articles out there, I am wondering what the hell is the problem here? This "boyfriend" who admitted to being possessive, jealous, and aggressive just picks her up - and she bring nothing - like, seriously, no clothes, shoes, toiletries. And, then, she willingly has (and what he admits to) rough sex in his car and is completely bruised and beaten up - and, then, she just STOPS BREATHING?
So, how, again, is he NOT GUILTY?
Wow.

Just. WOW.

This girl's retrial was set for January 2021, does anyone have an update for this case? I can't find any news article or report later than 2020. I'm guessing the retrial was pushed back ? I was really hoping to see the aggressive, petty "boyfriend" put away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back