TX - Central Texas Flash Floods leave missing and deceased victims, May 2015

Wimberley: 60 Days After the Flood (A briefing by city officials)
Published on Aug 10, 2015

At the August 4, 2015 meeting of the Wimberley Lions, Wimberley Mayor Steve Thurber and City Administrator Don Ferguson briefed Lions’ members on Wimberley 60 days after the 2015 Memorial Weekend flood, a flood that damaged or destroyed some 400 Wimberley homes along the Blanco.
We learn about scheduled repairs to the Wimberley bridge, a four county initiative to complete rebuilding of homes, regulations for rebuilding in the Blanco flood plain, and much, much more.

[video=youtube;aIVJ0nhGZTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIVJ0nhGZTw[/video]

'My dead daughter said Jesus picked them up on the river and they're in heaven now': Man whose wife and two kids, aged six and four, were washed away in extreme flood says his family came to him in a dream

Jonathan McComb was staying with his wife and two kids at a vacation home in Wimberley, Texas this past May when heavy rains hit the region

A flash flood developed on the Blanco River and washed their vacation home away

Mr McComb was the only one of his family - and the only person of 10 staying in the same vacation home - that survived the tragedy

In one of his first interviews, McComb says that he recently had a dream about his wife Laura; son Andrew, 6; and daughter Leighton, 4

He also thanked the thousands who have sent him letters of support

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ood-says-family-came-dream.html#ixzz3pRg8DjZP

Thinking about the Wimberley flood victims again this morning after a 2 alert night and one this morning for flash flood warnings in Central Texas again.

635811491256149018-1022-flood-survivor-5.JPG

A stone marker placed at the spot where Jonathan McComb made it to safety is dedicated to his family that did not make it. (Photo: WFAA)
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/loca...n-wimberley-floods-living-his-faith/74423012/

http://www.kvue.com/videos/news/2015/07/20/2458414/

Texas Storm Chasers
4 mins ·
A catastrophic, historic flash flood event is underway from just south of Austin through Hays County including Wimberly and San Marcos (again). A foot of rain has fallen with 5-7 inches of rain in the past HOUR. Its bad - no way around it. We've got more storms on the way across North Texas, Central Teas, and eventually Southeast/South Texas today with a severe weather threat. Get our late morning update on our blog at http://texasstormchasers.com/?p=40838.

This area cannot buy a break right now. A foot of rain since 5 a.m. today. All I can pray is no lives are lost and maybe, in a gruesome twist, the new flooding may help somehow to locate those still missing from May. :please: We can pray, can't we ?

Are you flooded in ?

In a big way, but no, not personally flooded. I have about 6 inches of standing water at the lowest corner of my yard. Wherever the gutters run out off the roof are ditches from the constant pounding. Only the insane would try to leave a safe, warm spot in a vehicle presently. Roof has collapsed at the building where I do some part-time work and was scheduled for today. I'm housebound for the day with one thunder scared pup. And WS to help relieve my anxiety. The tornado that was spotted earlier was quite a distance away (repeat 10x....10 miles is plenty far away) and moved the other way and now has dissipated. And I'm watching the twitter feed for updates. All good for me in the big picture but I'm so sad for Wimberley and San Marcos to get the worst again.

In a big way, but no, not personally flooded. I have about 6 inches of standing water at the lowest corner of my yard. Wherever the gutters run out off the roof are ditches from the constant pounding. Only the insane would try to leave a safe, warm spot in a vehicle presently. Roof has collapsed at the building where I do some part-time work and was scheduled for today. I'm housebound for the day with one thunder scared pup. And WS to help relieve my anxiety. The tornado that was spotted earlier was quite a distance away (repeat 10x....10 miles is plenty far away) and moved the other way and now has dissipated. And I'm watching the twitter feed for updates. All good for me in the big picture but I'm so sad for Wimberley and San Marcos to get the worst again.

I have family driving to San Marcos right now. I told them go slow and take their time and maybe it will subside a bit before they get there. It's unbelievable.

I have family driving to San Marcos right now. I told them go slow and take their time and maybe it will subside a bit before they get there. It's unbelievable.

I'd tell them to turn around, serious.
[video=twitter;660120723512365056]https://twitter.com/JohnBridges/status/660120723512365056[/video]

3 feet above a 100 year flood mark..is the latest viral phrase on twitter for #atxweather

They won't. They're from CA and in the 70's. No way will they listen to me.

Not implying that Californians won't listen ;) But that they drove from CA and are almost to San Marcos. They're not turning around now.

Prayers for you today. Hug that puppy special, I had to have Blade put to sleep this morning. :( :tears:

11880336_998429493510909_429687969099806598_n.jpg

Excellent feature article in Texas Monthly:

http://features.texasmonthly.com/editorial/wimberley-floods-memorial-day-weekend-2015/

Jonathan retrieved a twin mattress. It lay slanted atop a pile of debris, still on the living room floor. He positioned his family together on it: he and his wife kneeled, the children between them, all holding hands. Laura wept, and Jonathan told her again and again, “We’re okay. We’re going to be okay.” As water pounded the mattress, the family struggled to hold on. Jonathan grabbed his son, Andrew. The kindergartener’s hair was wet, his pajamas soaked, as he clutched his father’s arm.

Ralph Carey climbed on top of the mattress with Jonathan’s family. Then a huge wave hit. Ralph fell into the water. Jonathan realized that his son, Andrew, also was gone.

From the back of the debris pile, Jonathan heard Andrew calling for him. Jonathan jumped back, reaching toward his son’s voice in the dark.

Over the next twenty minutes, 911 dispatchers received at least nine calls from residents along the Blanco, calling to report people in the river. Callers couldn’t tell if the people were floating on a house, a car or a boat.

“I’m pretty sure it looked like a boat,” one man told dispatchers. “They were definitely on top of it. They had a flashlight and they were shining it toward the side of the river, obviously, and they were yelling for help.”

Said another caller: “They seem to be floating, but they are in the water moving rapidly. They have ahold of something. They came by really, really fast. They’re screaming, ‘Help!’”

“How many people?” the dispatcher asked.

“It looked like four to five.”

“Four to five people in the river?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. All right, I’m going to get them out there as soon as I can, okay?” the dispatcher said.

The last sighting appears to have come at 11:50 p.m., about a mile downstream.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back